References for 1L summer

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
notcool

References for 1L summer

Postby notcool » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:20 pm

Is a reference list consisting of only two contacts, both law profs, okay? :/ Many places don't specify how many they need, just saying that they want a "list of references." I know 3 would be more ideal, but is 2 sufficient?

I don't really have any WE other than some part-time stuff, and I don't keep in contact with any of my undergrad professors. So that mainly leaves law professors. I know 2 who would be happy to be references for me, but regarding the other profs I had, I didn't do all that awesome in their classes, and I didn't really participate much except when called on, so I'm not sure they'd have much to say about me.

ph14

Re: References for 1L summer

Postby ph14 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:24 pm

notcool wrote:Is a reference list consisting of only two contacts, both law profs, okay? :/ Many places don't specify how many they need, just saying that they want a "list of references." I know 3 would be more ideal, but is 2 sufficient?

I don't really have any WE other than some part-time stuff, and I don't keep in contact with any of my undergrad professors. So that mainly leaves law professors. I know 2 who would be happy to be references for me, but regarding the other profs I had, I didn't do all that awesome in their classes, and I didn't really participate much except when called on, so I'm not sure they'd have much to say about me.

Yeah. None of the 1L places I applied to contacts any of my references as far as i'm aware. And only 1-2 of my 2L interviews did. Just put the two on there.

fosterp

Re: References for 1L summer

Postby fosterp » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:58 pm

Not to hijack thread, but I have similar questions:

Is it acceptable to list undergraduate professors as references if you went to LS straight out of undergrad? Haven't really gotten to know any law profs other than my LARW professor and most places are requiring 3. UG profs would be able to talk about me a lot more than any of my other law profs (also my LARW recommended to not use my civ pro prof as a reference: says hes too old and never remembers students).

Also - worked for 7 years part-time/full time during UG. Will it be a problem if I don't list someone from that company as a reference? When I called to ask my former boss he said company policy doesn't allow them to comment on former employees other than whether or not they worked their and dates of employment - and that the only person who would be able to talk about my employment is someone from HR (who has never met me).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”