Student Groups

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
cashman17

Student Groups

Postby cashman17 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:57 pm

So I just got my grades back and wouldn't you know it? Median.

In high school and undergrad my grades were good enough that I didn't bother with extracurricular groups because I don't like them and didn't need them. Now it seems I need to bolster my resume in light of the average grades. Are student groups a good way to go about doing this? What kind of commitment do they require? Is it worth it to an employer?

Any thoughts/experiences are welcome.

EvilClinton

Re: Student Groups

Postby EvilClinton » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:04 pm

cashman17 wrote:So I just got my grades back and wouldn't you know it? Median.

In high school and undergrad my grades were good enough that I didn't bother with extracurricular groups because I don't like them and didn't need them. Now it seems I need to bolster my resume in light of the average grades. Are student groups a good way to go about doing this? What kind of commitment do they require? Is it worth it to an employer?

Any thoughts/experiences are welcome.

It all depends on the group. Most people on TLS believe groups are a waste of time (they are mostly right). However, if you join the right group that is well organized and has Alumni that you can network with it can definitely help you get interviews and get a job. If there are no groups like this on your campus you could consider starting one that deals with a subject matter you are interested in practicing. It is always impressive to found a group. Just make sure it is not half-assed.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:02 pm

I think it depends on what you mean by "student group."

If you mean "Wine Tasting Club," then the benefits probably don't extend beyond networking with the other students in the club.

If you mean law review/moot court, then yes, it's something employers will take a look at.

cashman17

Postby cashman17 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:11 pm

Just like Federalist Society, Tax Lawyers, all those bullshit student law groups you hear about in the first week. I could care less about the group itself, just seeing if its worthwhile as a resume booster.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:06 pm

I've heard that the affinity groups can be useful for networking purposes.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”