NEED ADVICE: Should I drop out

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
trumanshow20

NEED ADVICE: Should I drop out

Postby trumanshow20 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:41 pm

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I ended up slightly below median at a t-25 (midwestern school), but even before my grades had arrived I was probably in the saddest state in my life while there. I considered withdrawing during winter break but I have not summoned up the courage to do so. I currently have a small scholarship but I am still looking at a debt of around 90k-100k if I continue. If I withdraw now i will have incurred about 15k in debt. However, my alternative would be to start taking pre-med reqs and apply to med school. The only reason I have not withdrawn is due to the fact that I will be incurring more debt going through med school and won't have a stable career until my 30's (currently 23). If I stick it out, I'll hopefully end up with less debt and an OK job, but I'm afraid of being miserable for the next 2 and half yrs. Thoughts?

EvilClinton

Re: NEED ADVICE: Should I drop out

Postby EvilClinton » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:42 pm

Drop Out

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:45 pm

trumanshow20 wrote:Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I ended up slightly below median at a t-25 (midwestern school), but even before my grades had arrived I was probably in the saddest state in my life while there. I considered withdrawing during winter break but I have not summoned up the courage to do so. I currently have a small scholarship but I am still looking at a debt of around 90k-100k if I continue. If I withdraw now i will have incurred about 15k in debt. However, my alternative would be to start taking pre-med reqs and apply to med school. The only reason I have not withdrawn is due to the fact that I will be incurring more debt going through med school and won't have a stable career until my 30's (currently 23). If I stick it out, I'll hopefully end up with less debt and an OK job, but I'm afraid of being miserable for the next 2 and half yrs. Thoughts?

It sounds like you don't want to be a lawyer and really want to drop out. That combined with below median tells me you should leave. Hell, even if you were above median if you really hated it I would say drop out. Not sure running to med school is the best option though. You're 23, maybe take a couple years, work, and see what you really want to do. FWIW, I have a friend who started med school at 29, so your particular situation does not sound too bad if you do start taking the pre reqs now.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:30 pm

It sounds like you are just prestige-chasing. Figure out what you want to do and what will make you happy. This definitely will include dropping out.

Stop letting other people make your career choices for you.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”