BarMax CA vs. Themis v. self-study Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
uwb09

Silver

BarMax CA vs. Themis v. self-study

Post by uwb09 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:41 pm

Hey all, just looking for some general input. I am broke as ****, and cannot afford the astronomical cost of Barbri, so am exploring the cheaper options for bar study. I've got it narrowed down to three options

#1: Themis (can acquire for $999 if I purchase by mid-Feb)

http://www.themisbar.com/california

#2: BarMax California (course is $999 on its own, BUT can get course + 16GB iPad 4 for $1250, which is a pretty good deal)

http://getbarmax.com/barmax-ca-bar-exam-review/

#3: buy 2012-2013 BarBri California books second hand and try to do it myself. ($200-500??) I would still need to gain access to an extensive MBE question bank, which could cost moneyz also.

Anyone have any general input on these three options? Thanks!

eric922

Bronze

Re: BarMax CA vs. Themis v. self-study

Post by eric922 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:11 pm

I'll admit I know next to nothing about any of these courses, but I'm always wary of any company that offers you things like Ipad in order to buy their product.

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:43 pm

eric922 wrote:I'll admit I know next to nothing about any of these courses, but I'm always wary of any company that offers you things like Ipad in order to buy their product.
yeah, im a little uneasy on BarMax, but the course itself is ONLY available on iPad/iPhone, it's 100% electronic/app based, so for people like me without any apple products (Windows4life) the couple hundred discount to purchase it with an iPad is a little tempting, considering I can just sell off the iPad when I'm done and make some money back.

The main draw for BarMax is the portability, it is an iPad app, so I can carry it with me wherever. Also it comes with almost 1,500 MBE questions. But apparently only 250 people used the product last july for the bar exam in CA, which is pretty low...

TheGreatFish

New

Post by TheGreatFish » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:29 pm

There's not really anything you'll learn from the BarBri courses that you can't learn on your own from the BarBri books. The main benefit from the class is that it keeps you on task. If you decide to take the self-study route, make sure you get a study buddy. It's really easy to slack off if you don't have someone making sure you're actually studying.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:47 pm

baroutlines.com

done.

That's what I did. Best $100 I ever spent.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:24 pm

I feel pretty confident that I can make and stick to my own study schedule, which is why just buying the BarBri books is super appealing.

Will the books alone give me enough sample MBE questions though? I read in another thread someone had to buy access to a Kamplan MBE bank or something to that effect.

and the price of baroutlines.com is definitely appealing...

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:25 pm

baroutlines.com comes with access to something like 600-700, maybe as many as a thousand, practice MBE questions. They were all I used and it was plenty.

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:17 pm

HLS class of '11 (and I think '12) got free copies of Barmax and I know a few people who passed using it. If they do it again this year I'm going to try it and report back.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:54 am

uwb09 wrote:
eric922 wrote:I'll admit I know next to nothing about any of these courses, but I'm always wary of any company that offers you things like Ipad in order to buy their product.
yeah, im a little uneasy on BarMax, but the course itself is ONLY available on iPad/iPhone, it's 100% electronic/app based, so for people like me without any apple products (Windows4life) the couple hundred discount to purchase it with an iPad is a little tempting, considering I can just sell off the iPad when I'm done and make some money back.

The main draw for BarMax is the portability, it is an iPad app, so I can carry it with me wherever. Also it comes with almost 1,500 MBE questions. But apparently only 250 people used the product last july for the bar exam in CA, which is pretty low...
BarMax sounds kind of ghetto. I personally would not pay $1000 for it just based on what you said about it. I've heard good things about Themis though. There used to be (still is?) a PI discount too, if you're going into PI.
uwb09 wrote:I feel pretty confident that I can make and stick to my own study schedule, which is why just buying the BarBri books is super appealing.

Will the books alone give me enough sample MBE questions though? I read in another thread someone had to buy access to a Kamplan MBE bank or something to that effect.

BarBri gives you a billion MBE questions (in their books alone). Seriously, do not worry about not having enough. There is no way in hell you'll ever get through all the ones in the books. You can buy all the CA BarBri books used, but in good shape, for around $150-175 shipped on ebay.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:38 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
uwb09 wrote:

BarMax sounds kind of ghetto. I personally would not pay $1000 for it just based on what you said about it. I've heard good things about Themis though. There used to be (still is?) a PI discount too, if you're going into PI.
uwb09 wrote:I feel pretty confident that I can make and stick to my own study schedule, which is why just buying the BarBri books is super appealing.

BarBri gives you a billion MBE questions (in their books alone). Seriously, do not worry about not having enough. There is no way in hell you'll ever get through all the ones in the books. You can buy all the CA BarBri books used, but in good shape, for around $150-175 shipped on ebay.
Yeah, the 999 for Themis includes the PI discount, which is why it's so appealing. But yeah, after doing some more research I feel the CA Bar Bri books will be more than enough. Plus CA has the last 10 or so essay/performance tests with answers posted online. Self-study is 100% a go, now need to wait for the Feb bar to be over to snag up some used barbri books!

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:32 pm

uwb09 wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:
uwb09 wrote:

Yeah, the 999 for Themis includes the PI discount, which is why it's so appealing. But yeah, after doing some more research I feel the CA Bar Bri books will be more than enough. Plus CA has the last 10 or so essay/performance tests with answers posted online. Self-study is 100% a go, now need to wait for the Feb bar to be over to snag up some used barbri books!
Don't worry too much about the books being outdated (i.e. the law tested on the bar exam each year doesn't change much, so if you find a good deal on books a couple years old, grab it).

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:35 pm

Is there any point to starting to do practice MBE questions before BarBri starts, or will I not know enough and waste the questions?

seanc9

New

Post by seanc9 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:46 am

SPAM

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:06 am

seanc9 wrote:SPAM
Holy spam / shill, batman!

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:32 am

Themis

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:36 am

XxSpyKEx wrote:
Don't worry too much about the books being outdated (i.e. the law tested on the bar exam each year doesn't change much, so if you find a good deal on books a couple years old, grab it).
gracias, I'll do that

my school FINALLY released my scholarship money to my bank account, so i'll be keeping my eye on ebay

thanks all for the advice

gsw30

New

Post by gsw30 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:26 pm

SPAM

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:01 am

Mick Haller wrote:Themis
someone said Themis is pretty acronym and mnemonics based. Any truth to that? If so I'd lean towards them for that very reason

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:26 am

update: one of my old intern supervisors who took the CA bar in 2011 is offering me all her old barbri books for free... JACKPOT

EliHBCU

New

Post by EliHBCU » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:33 pm

I loved Themis. I took Barbri for the first bar exam (and passed) and it was a huge waste of my money. I used Themis for my second bar and loved it. You can't beat the price. It's good to ask on here, but a lot of the people on here are still law students who are basing their information on hearsay. You should read reviews of people who've actually used the courses and passed.

Themis Bar Prep - All It's Cracked Up To Be? http://thestudentappeal.com/op-ed/themis-review

Elms

Bronze

Post by Elms » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:21 pm

DO NOT USE BARMAX.

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to add my experience with Barmax in case anyone is searching for reviews. DO NOT buy Barmax. Since downloading the $1000 app, I have had numerous issues with wrong content. For example, one of the trusts lectures for my California barmax app is the wrong lecture- it's for NEW YORK law.

The flashcards are a joke. They are basically the outline all over again. There is way to much info on each flashcard. Using them is basically the same as just reading through the outline again.

The system is full of awful, obvious typos. (Things that running a simple spell check would have fixed).

The content is full of glitches. For example, in the criminal law module, you are randomly given contracts flashcards.

When you try to contact customer service for help, they are completely rude and unapologetic. I was told the glitches would be fixed within three days, then within 5-7 days, then when they "fixed" them two weeks later I still could not download Evidence, Wills, or Trusts lectures. What a joke.

DO NOT BUY BARMAX UNLESS YOU WANT TO WASTE $1000.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”