. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
nmg5211

New

Post by nmg5211 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:07 pm

Last edited by nmg5211 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Spotting Bluebook Errors in Final Memo Months Later

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:20 pm

The likelihood that other people made similar mistakes is very, very high. Especially if your prof didn't drill you in BB before your final memo. And the likelihood that omitting a date from a citation will make or break your grade is very very low.

nmg5211

New

Post by nmg5211 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:40 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:The likelihood that other people made similar mistakes is very, very high. Especially if your prof didn't drill you in BB before your final memo. And the likelihood that omitting a date from a citation will make or break your grade is very very low.

Bless your heart for this!

Also, my LRW professor has a very unorthodox memo style -- he likes extreme roadmapping, concision, lots of string cites and signaling with parentheticals, etc. His sample best memos were entirely different from other generally adhered to style of best exams from the majority of LRW professors at my school.

Incidentally, for as little as he went over blue booking, he asked for sophisticated citations and basically every conceivable kind. Hoping that ups the margin for error across the board.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:55 pm

nmg5211 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:The likelihood that other people made similar mistakes is very, very high. Especially if your prof didn't drill you in BB before your final memo. And the likelihood that omitting a date from a citation will make or break your grade is very very low.

Bless your heart for this!

Also, my LRW professor has a very unorthodox memo style -- he likes extreme roadmapping, concision, lots of string cites and signaling with parentheticals, etc. His sample best memos were entirely different from other generally adhered to style of best exams from the majority of LRW professors at my school.

Incidentally, for as little as he went over blue booking, he asked for sophisticated citations and basically every conceivable kind. Hoping that ups the margin for error across the board.
Yeah, odds are he will probably even miss it. And if he doesn't, that isn't a blatant error. Those unreported cases can be tricky for someone not familiar with them. But I wouldn't stress about it. I guarantee every first semester 1L writing that memo made at least a few Bluebooking errors.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:57 pm

Why does it matter. You can't change your paper now. Just try not to do it again. You'll get whatever grade you get.

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:19 pm

I think this happens to everyone. Just correct the errors and make it ship-shape for future mailers. You can change your direction forward, but its so foolish to look backwards and freak out.

Everyone in their first 1L semester makes mistakes BBing. By end of the year the bluepages will seem like cake, but hell even now a semester into LR I am finding things in the whitepages that are totally new.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”