Northwestern 1L - drop out?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Fjgg1678

Northwestern 1L - drop out?

Postby Fjgg1678 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:38 am

Last edited by Fjgg1678 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Re: Northwestern 1L - drop out?

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:46 am

At this point you're 80k in the hole. What would you do if you dropped out? Would you be okay with working at a small firm if you stuck it out? It seems to me, whether you stay or go, you will probably need IBR to cover your debt be it 80k or 250k. This is assuming you don't turn it around next semester.

Fjgg1678

Postby Fjgg1678 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:00 am

Problem is, I'm not sure I can turn it around. Other people in my study group got far higher grades and we pretty much followed the same study plan. Small firm would be fine.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:12 am

Fjgg1678 wrote:Problem is, I'm not sure I can turn it around. Other people in my study group got far higher grades and we pretty much followed the same study plan. Small firm would be fine.

I'd think about meeting with Apex folks to go over your exams or if there is anyone in your study group you trust enough to look them over/compare answers. It might have been something as simple as organizational differences.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:46 am

homestyle28 wrote:
Fjgg1678 wrote:Problem is, I'm not sure I can turn it around. Other people in my study group got far higher grades and we pretty much followed the same study plan. Small firm would be fine.

I'd think about meeting with Apex folks to go over your exams or if there is anyone in your study group you trust enough to look them over/compare answers. It might have been something as simple as organizational differences.

You should also meet with your progessors and review your exams with them. See where you got points, where you missed them, and ask how you could have improved your answer.

Edit: For inappropriate inference of sexual assault against exams.
Last edited by Icculus on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:50 am

Icculus wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

You should also meet with your progessors and review your exams with them. See where you got points, where you jissed them, and ask how you could have improved your answer.

Of course, if you did that to your exams, that might explain your grades ;)

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:53 am

homestyle28 wrote:
Icculus wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

You should also meet with your progessors and review your exams with them. See where you got points, where you jissed them, and ask how you could have improved your answer.

Of course, if you did that to your exams, that might explain your grades ;)

God damn it.

purpletiger

Postby purpletiger » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:08 pm

I think you should stick it out until the end of 1L and see if you can make it back to median. You have a 3.1 now, but a 3.6 next semester (meaning a bunch of A-'s and B+'s) would put you at 3.35, which is around median and good enough for low-biglaw in Chicago or high-midlaw especially if you're a good interviewer.

If you totally strike out at OCI, you should reassess then. Focus on doing better this semester and crushing your uncurved classes (if you have them). Also try not to freak out about what other students got.

One tip: do the practice exams on your own. E.g., look at the question, outline a potential answer, and only then should you confer with others as to the right answer. That's a lot better than simply discussing what you should have written.

Also work on your typing speed if that was an issue for you last semester. Quantity matters. Buy a program if you have to.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:15 pm

A bunch of A- and B+ means you are going to get a 3.5, a bunch of A and B+, or just A-, and you will get that 3.6 semester GPA.

As to OP, at NU, about 60% of the class gets biglaw, and it is not necessarily the top 60%. Of course, the lower you go down the rank the harder it is, but you are not out of biglaw even with your gpa. Definitely try to get it up to a 3.35 however. Also, consider your softs and interview skills. Those will be the most important things for you. Mass mail and bid heavily on NYC...

Also, for god's sake, I also hope that you are enrolled in two uncurved classes this semester.

Watermelon Man

Postby Watermelon Man » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:18 am

what are these uncurved classes?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”