two questions: binders and hand raising

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
fairy

two questions: binders and hand raising

Postby fairy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:15 pm

1. I saw a few people at my LS tearing out cases from their case books and putting them in a binder. Then I got an idea. Maybe I could just mark up my cases (which works better for me than briefs anyway), and rip them out and put them in a binder, and put a page behind it with any relevant class notes. This way, I wouldn't have to get lost in a huge book of irrelevant pages, and I'd have a binder with just the cases we need. Also, instead of writing outlines of the cases in the notes, I could just look at my directly marked case. But the downside is that I would have everything (notes etc) in a binder rather than on my computer. However, I could still make my outline on the computer. Just wanted to run this idea by and see what you guys think? Do you think its best to have all notes on my comp and cases in the actual casebook? Or does the binder idea sound okay.

2. In undergrad, I used to participate in class a lot. I used to ask questions, and raise interesting points, speak my mind freely. However in law school I haven't yet participated and I don't know what's holding me back. Why do I feel more intimidated to speak up here? Has anyone else experienced this? It has nothing to do with being afraid of being viewed as a gunner....I really don't care about that and in fact most of the "well liked" people in my class do speak up so people don't care that much here, and at times I too wish I could just speak my mind so people can see that I'm not a passive idiot with no idea of what's going on.

stillwater

Re: two questions: binders and hand raising

Postby stillwater » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:17 pm

fairy wrote:1. I saw a few people at my LS tearing out cases from their case books and putting them in a binder. Then I got an idea. Maybe I could just mark up my cases (which works better for me than briefs anyway), and rip them out and put them in a binder, and put a page behind it with any relevant class notes. This way, I wouldn't have to get lost in a huge book of irrelevant pages, and I'd have a binder with just the cases we need. Also, instead of writing outlines of the cases in the notes, I could just look at my directly marked case. But the downside is that I would have everything (notes etc) in a binder rather than on my computer. However, I could still make my outline on the computer. Just wanted to run this idea by and see what you guys think? Do you think its best to have all notes on my comp and cases in the actual casebook? Or does the binder idea sound okay.

2. In undergrad, I used to participate in class a lot. I used to ask questions, and raise interesting points, speak my mind freely. However in law school I haven't yet participated and I don't know what's holding me back. Why do I feel more intimidated to speak up here? Has anyone else experienced this? It has nothing to do with being afraid of being viewed as a gunner....I really don't care about that and in fact most of the "well liked" people in my class do speak up so people don't care that much here, and at times I too wish I could just speak my mind so people can see that I'm not a passive idiot with no idea of what's going on.

I didnt read numbered point 1 but I commend you for not polluting your classroom with 1L slop. No one wants to hear it. I salute you.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:18 pm

fairy wrote:1. I saw a few people at my LS tearing out cases from their case books and putting them in a binder. Then I got an idea. Maybe I could just mark up my cases (which works better for me than briefs anyway), and rip them out and put them in a binder, and put a page behind it with any relevant class notes. This way, I wouldn't have to get lost in a huge book of irrelevant pages, and I'd have a binder with just the cases we need. Also, instead of writing outlines of the cases in the notes, I could just look at my directly marked case. But the downside is that I would have everything (notes etc) in a binder rather than on my computer. However, I could still make my outline on the computer. Just wanted to run this idea by and see what you guys think? Do you think its best to have all notes on my comp and cases in the actual casebook? Or does the binder idea sound okay.

1. This sounds like a big inconvenience and waste of time. Make an outline with the relevant information instead.
2. Why is that a bad thing? There is nothing wrong with listening to class discussion rather than participating in it.

fairy

Postby fairy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:20 pm

I think it's more just about the fact that I actually feel intimidated to...and I'm wondering why I'm intimidated here when I wasn't in undergrad

Myself

Postby Myself » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:26 pm

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fairy

Postby fairy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:31 pm

I was thinking about it and I think (not sure if this is it) but maybe its because everyone in LS articulates themselves really well, like when they answer a question they sound like a textbook with perfect phrasing as if they practiced the answer...and I can't really do that..so I feel like I'll just sound like a fool

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:06 pm

I don't actually see how this would be an advantage

stargazin

Postby stargazin » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:56 pm

fairy wrote:I was thinking about it and I think (not sure if this is it) but maybe its because everyone in LS articulates themselves really well, like when they answer a question they sound like a textbook with perfect phrasing as if they practiced the answer...and I can't really do that..so I feel like I'll just sound like a fool

Really? Are you sure about that? Half the stuff that comes from my classmates, and from myself, frankly, is pretty pointless. Students wouldn't need to be students if they had perfect answers all the time.

ninereal

Postby ninereal » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:50 pm

The binder thing sounds totally pointless. I use OneNote, make two columns, and put the in-class discussion notes for a case next to my reading notes. You could adapt that somehow, maybe.

frosty6731

Postby frosty6731 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:34 am

I said maybe two things voluntarily all semester in classes and got great grades on my exams. It simply doesn't matter.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:35 am

You need a binder full of women.

KingsCup

Postby KingsCup » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:24 am

manofjustice wrote:You need a binder full of women.

don't we all

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:25 am

fairy wrote:I was thinking about it and I think (not sure if this is it) but maybe its because everyone in LS articulates themselves really well, like when they answer a question they sound like a textbook with perfect phrasing as if they practiced the answer...and I can't really do that..so I feel like I'll just sound like a fool

Yeah, about that... Maybe you go to a better school than I do or have "nicer" professors who toss softballs at you, but a large portion of the shit people say in my classes is inane and/or hopelessly wrong. But that's kind of the point, right? What would the point be of asking students easy and obvious questions? I wouldn't let the fear of being wrong or inarticulate stop you from participating in class if that's what helps you learn. I can tell you that the stuff I remember best is the shit I was loud wrong about.

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:40 am

1. This sounds like extra work for little to no benefit. Also, you obviously won't be able to sell your book back if you do this. If you really don't want to lug your book around, you could always scan the cases from your casebook as a searchable PDF, which you would actually be able to highlight and write notes on in your computer (this will work on both a PC and a Mac).

2. This isn't anything to worry about, everyone learns in their own way. Also, if you hear a classmate say something that sounds particularly brilliant, there's a good chance they're just repeating something they read in a hornbook the night before. I've heard classmates recite passages from the professor's hornbook almost verbatim in class.

rouser

Postby rouser » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:50 am

rip the pages out, then highlight them, then bring to office hours w/ prof

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:18 am

I have seen casebooks that are printed on loose leaf 3 ring binder paper. That seems easier and safer than ripping out pages. Also, the ones I saw were always cheaper.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:32 am

Tom Joad wrote:I have seen casebooks that are printed on loose leaf 3 ring binder paper. That seems easier and safer than ripping out pages. Also, the ones I saw were always cheaper.

Very credited. Half of my books this semester are loose leaf and in binders along with my women.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”