So you thought you did it all, but you get median Pwned.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
manofjustice

Re: So you thought you did it all, but you get median Pwned.

Postby manofjustice » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:06 am

IAFG wrote:yeah you can't really trust what people say about how hard they work in either direction.

What do you mean "in either direction"?

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:11 am

manofjustice wrote:
IAFG wrote:yeah you can't really trust what people say about how hard they work in either direction.

People both overstate and understate how hard they work…?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:11 am

I can honestly say I didn't work my ass off, but I didn't slack off totally either, and I got medianish

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:18 am

hibiki wrote:
manofjustice wrote:

People both overstate and understate how hard they work…?

some overstate some understate. also tons of people lie/mislead about how well they did.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:27 am

I just felt naked going into class or going into an exam without actually having read the case. What I take to be potentially useful on an exam might be different than the writers of the case briefs.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:31 am

manofjustice wrote:I just felt naked going into class or going into an exam without actually having read the case. What I take to be potentially useful on an exam might be different than the writers of the case briefs.

What you think is potentially useful isn't important, it's what your prof thinks is useful. That you can probably glean entirely from someone else's outline which doesn't really require reading the case or even a brief of the case. Of course reading the case or brief can help you understand better, but it is quite possible to learn all you need to know from another's outline.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:55 am

bk1 wrote:
manofjustice wrote:I just felt naked going into class or going into an exam without actually having read the case. What I take to be potentially useful on an exam might be different than the writers of the case briefs.

What you think is potentially useful isn't important, it's what your prof thinks is useful. That you can probably glean entirely from someone else's outline which doesn't really require reading the case or even a brief of the case. Of course reading the case or brief can help you understand better, but it is quite possible to learn all you need to know from another's outline.

Maybe it's just that I feel I understand the rules better by reading them in the cases.

I don't brief cases, but I read um and try to pull out the nuggets of fact and law on my own. I like doing it that way. Just my thing.

Didn't really touch supplements. When I did, I just thought they were way too 30,000 feet...and way too broad.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:55 am

manofjustice wrote:Maybe it's just that I feel I understand the rules better by reading them in the cases.

I don't brief cases, but I read um and try to pull out the nuggets of fact and law on my own. I like doing it that way. Just my thing.

Didn't really touch supplements. When I did, I just thought they were way too 30,000 feet...and way too broad.

Definitely do your thing. There are many ways to do well and the worst thing anybody can do is try to force themselves to adapt to a style that doesn't work for them.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:08 am

manofjustice wrote:Wow. So 20 to 30% don't read the casebook AT ALL? What kinda school are you at, IYDM?

As a 1L we had only one professor who did not believe in cold calling. Probably 75-90% of the class did not touch let alone buy the casebook.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:48 pm

I'm seriously debating not reading this semester and spending time outlining / doing Cali lessons... feels like I can get everything from online briefs..

Worried it'll backfire though..

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”