Dropping Journal

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Jimbogiant

Dropping Journal

Postby Jimbogiant » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:21 pm

Is this the kiss of death as far as future employment prospects? Here's my situation: Top 5% at a TT/TTT, LR, and got a midlaw SA lined up during OCI. I just f****** hate everything about journal.

I've already gotten my credit for the fall semester, and as far as I can tell there will be no "notation" on my transcript if I quit. My main concern is that my SA firm will be pissed off, but if I replace it with something I can easily spin (in this case, I would replace it with Moot Court -- I think the "practical application" angle would be persuasive) will it really be that big of a deal?

I have until the end of the week for the free add/drop period to end, so I'll have to make the decision within the next couple of days. Any advice would be much appreciated, especially from anyone with personal experience in making this kind of decision.

ph14

Re: Dropping Journal

Postby ph14 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:23 pm

Jimbogiant wrote:Is this the kiss of death as far as future employment prospects? Here's my situation: Top 5% at a TT/TTT, LR, and got a midlaw SA lined up during OCI. I just f****** hate everything about journal.

I've already gotten my credit for the fall semester, and as far as I can tell there will be no "notation" on my transcript if I quit. My main concern is that my SA firm will be pissed off, but if I replace it with something I can easily spin (in this case, I would replace it with Moot Court -- I think the "practical application" angle would be persuasive) will it really be that big of a deal?

I have until the end of the week for the free add/drop period to end, so I'll have to make the decision within the next couple of days. Any advice would be much appreciated, especially from anyone with personal experience in making this kind of decision.

Don't drop it. LR isn't that bad. Just do a passable job. Firms like to put that stuff up on the website.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:29 pm

Most schools require you to notify your potential employer, and may take away credits.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:44 pm

Drop it for 3L, dont drop it now. No one will care at ALL if you drop it for 3L in my experience, but it looks fishy if you don't even finish off the year. Many journals also require you to commit for 1 or even 2 years, so check your policy before making rash decisions. Some journals make you stay 2 years or they take away credits, take it off your transcript and encourage you to not put it on your resume as they will not indicate that you were ever on the journal if asked.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:45 pm

You get class credit for it too? Then you really shouldn't drop it.

target

Postby target » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:49 pm

kalvano wrote:Most schools require you to notify your potential employer, and may take away credits.

this. so check your journal policy. But even then:

ph14 wrote:
Don't drop it. LR isn't that bad. Just do a passable job.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:50 pm

Make sure you know exactly what the potential consequences are before you drop. Most normal people hate journal work so schools usually have safeguards in place to keep you from doing this. Also what kind of work do 3ls do? At my school we literally do nothing so it wasn't so bad knowing I only had to get through one year

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:00 pm

2L sucks for LR. 3L, at least on mine, the workload is almost non-existent.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”