Bottom 10 of class, 3L, focus on grades, Bar, or employment?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
memo2partner

Re: Bottom 10 of class, 3L, focus on grades, Bar, or employment?

Postby memo2partner » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:38 pm

Focus on your grades for right now. At this point, the jobs are going to want you to have a bar membership, which you don't have, so no point applying to a bunch of jobs yet. After this semester, focus on the bar. Once you get licensed, then start focusing hardcore on the job search.

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:21 pm

memo2partner wrote:Focus on your grades for right now. At this point, the jobs are going to want you to have a bar membership, which you don't have, so no point applying to a bunch of jobs yet. After this semester, focus on the bar. Once you get licensed, then start focusing hardcore on the job search.

Graduated May 2013 from a T50 in the bottom 10 percent of class.
No debt
No job, although an attorney wants to hire me if I pass the bar.

Failed July 2013 CA Bar exam. MBE was okay, but my writing needed improvement. I found the CA Bar to be VERY difficult. I think I may have ADHD, I just can't focus on all the materials in the PT's. It's too much for me.

Retaking in February 2014. However, it's not looking good for me.

Options if I fail in February include: find another career, or take the Massachusetts bar exam and leave my family and friends in California...that's if I really want to be a lawyer and don't want 3 years of education and 200K to go down the drain.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:01 am

AntiHuman wrote:
memo2partner wrote:Focus on your grades for right now. At this point, the jobs are going to want you to have a bar membership, which you don't have, so no point applying to a bunch of jobs yet. After this semester, focus on the bar. Once you get licensed, then start focusing hardcore on the job search.

No debt

Failed July 2013 CA Bar exam. MBE was okay, but my writing needed improvement. I found the CA Bar to be VERY difficult. I think I may have ADHD, I just can't focus on all the materials in the PT's. It's too much for me.

Options if I fail in February include: find another career, or take the Massachusetts bar exam and leave my family and friends in California...that's if I really want to be a lawyer and don't want 3 years of education and 200K to go down the drain.

good luck!

you said an att'y wants to hire you...what kind of jerb? small firm?

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:17 am

BlueLotus wrote:
AntiHuman wrote:

No debt

good luck!

you said an att'y wants to hire you...what kind of jerb? small firm?

yeah solo practitioner doing crim and torts related stuff

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:25 am

Just curious: what are you doing in the meantime? Are you working?

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:29 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:Just curious: what are you doing in the meantime? Are you working?

currently not even working. Just putting 100 percent of my effort in the CA bar exam in February.

But I am getting greatly discouraged. I can't seem to synthesize all the PT materials. I lose focus very quickly.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:31 pm

why not see a doctor, bro? get on that california obamacare.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:03 pm

Lol, RC fail.

Also, to OP, two questions:

1) How did you get so far into your law school career (at the time of your OP) without dropping out? Was it the no debt thing? Just about everyone I knew in 1L who was in your position was gone after first semester/year.

2) MA bar is infinitely easier than the CA bar. Why not start out in MA, pass the bar, get some legal work, maybe see a doctor (cause it really does sound like there's an issue there outside of your control), and then think about taking the CA bar after a few years of legal practice?

Good luck!

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:16 pm

sd5289 wrote:

Lol, RC fail.

Also, to OP, two questions:

1) How did you get so far into your law school career (at the time of your OP) without dropping out? Was it the no debt thing? Just about everyone I knew in 1L who was in your position was gone after first semester/year.

2) MA bar is infinitely easier than the CA bar. Why not start out in MA, pass the bar, get some legal work, maybe see a doctor (cause it really does sound like there's an issue there outside of your control), and then think about taking the CA bar after a few years of legal practice?

Good luck!

1. No debt and the prestige of being a lawyer of course. My parents wouldn't be cool with me dropping out, it just doesn't look good to them. I really only enjoy 2 subjects(crim and torts). I hate studying the other subjects and real property kills me on the MBE.

2. If I don't pass in February, I do have a few options which I could use some help on.

Option 1: Retake the CA bar one last time and see what happens. I would like to stay in CA for the weather and I can just live at home and not pay rent. Maybe take 3 full months off and spread the work out more so I am doing only 3-4 hours of work a day. I guess Ill see how I do on the mbe this time around. If I am still nowhere close, then fuck it.

Option 2: Take the MA, FL, AZ or another state bar that does 50/50 mbe/essay. Hopefully a state where there isnt too much difference between CA and that state law so I don't have to study too much extra new material. Then work for a few years and see what happens.

Option 3: Pick another career that values a JD. Maybe do high school teaching, FBI/CIA, maybe real estate?

The only downside to option 3 is I'll waste 3 years of education and 200K tuition. However, I decided too late in the game that I don't like to write THAT much. I don't mind some writing here and there. I feel lawyers do a lot of writing and this is why I am struggling with the PT's and essays.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:17 pm

did you win big at the dog track before law school? where'd that 200k come from?

sighsigh

Postby sighsigh » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:33 pm

patogordo wrote:did you win big at the dog track before law school? where'd that 200k come from?

This.

samcro_op

Postby samcro_op » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:33 am

sighsigh wrote:
patogordo wrote:did you win big at the dog track before law school? where'd that 200k come from?

This.

I'd assume the same parents that are letting him live with them and would not let him drop out.

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:43 pm

Yeah I have a very generous uncle :)

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:02 pm

I would focus on the job. The bar, assuming you're not in California (and possibly even then), is supposedly not that difficult to pass. All you have to do is put the work in. Jobs, on the other hand, can be tough to find. If you absolutely want to do barbri, I have been told by my school's reps, that you get materials early so that you can get a head start.

If I were you, I'd try for all three, but put the greatest energy into the job hunt.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:52 pm

alicrimson wrote:I would focus on the job. The bar, assuming you're not in California (and possibly even then), is supposedly not that difficult to pass. All you have to do is put the work in. Jobs, on the other hand, can be tough to find. If you absolutely want to do barbri, I have been told by my school's reps, that you get materials early so that you can get a head start.

If I were you, I'd try for all three, but put the greatest energy into the job hunt.

Lol, RC Fail (see OP's bump a couple of posts up)

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:53 pm

My school is offering me a part time(3 months) gig working for the school at $18/hour and for only a maximum of 15 hours per week.

This is better than nothing, but I am assuming they just want to put me down as "employed after 9 months"

At this point, I'm focusing heavily on the CA Bar which is 2 weeks away. Its going to be rough.

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:39 pm

AntiHuman wrote:My school is offering me a part time(3 months) gig working for the school at $18/hour and for only a maximum of 15 hours per week.

This is better than nothing, but I am assuming they just want to put me down as "employed after 9 months"

At this point, I'm focusing heavily on the CA Bar which is 2 weeks away. Its going to be rough.

Passing the bar is more important than a temp job. If you think the job will substantially hurt your chances of passing, turn it down.

If you are confident you can study and work at the same time, take the job; it will help having some "experience."

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:50 pm

Try to network into a DA position in a less than desirable place. Use those trial skills to transfer to a DA in a more desirable place, and then go to a private defense firm and make that money.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:53 pm

OP, did you end up passing the CA bar?

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:20 pm

BlueLotus wrote:OP, did you end up passing the CA bar?

yeah, but no legal job yet. I need some help networking. PM if anybody has any tips on hustling, job resources...etc

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:38 am

AntiHuman wrote:

yeah, but no legal job yet. I need some help networking. PM if anybody has any tips on hustling, job resources...etc

Congrats on passing the beast that is the CA bar! Have you checked out EJW or BYU job bank or PSJD or Idealist? Good sources of PI jerbs that are NOT grades conscious.

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:12 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
AntiHuman wrote:

Congrats on passing the beast that is the CA bar! Have you checked out EJW or BYU job bank or PSJD or Idealist? Good sources of PI jerbs that are NOT grades conscious.

Great! Not familiar with any of those...could you send me links for each just so I get the right one. Appreciate it.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:39 pm

AntiHuman wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:
AntiHuman wrote:

Great! Not familiar with any of those...could you send me links for each just so I get the right one. Appreciate it.

http://www.psjd.org/
http://www.idealist.org/
http://www.equaljusticeworks.org/law-sc ... careerfair
http://www.law2.byu.edu/site/career-ser ... recruiting (see the Vale thread for the username and password)

You're welcome. Good luck.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:53 am

OP, is your GPA at least above a 3.0? That is the floor for certain government/public interest jerbs.

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:18 pm

2.7GPA

-->T30 grad
-->Passed the February 2014 CA Bar. Licensed since July. Have been looking for a job ever since.
-->Bay Area Native. Willing to work anywhere in Northern California.
-->Bottom 10 percent of class...didn't really pay attention in law school. Didn't participate much in school activities. Few journals and moot court.
-->No debt. In fact, I can work some shit job for a few years, but I really need some good experience/mentorship. I am a slow starter/learner, but speed up quickly.
-->No significant work experience. Literally all I have on my resume is my summer work from 1L, 2L and a few externships during law school. Nothing after my 3L year. Huge red flag.

I also realized I hate legal research and writing. I think I prefer to do boilerplate motions and courtroom work. It seems criminal law is the only way to go. Any general advice on my situation? Should I contact my county and see if I can volunteer my time for court appointed criminal law cases? What are some websites I can use to find jobs? I am currently using indeed.com and craigslist.

Also, is getting a real estate license worth it for an attorney in California? Would it be worth my time or can attorneys pretty much do most things a realtor can do?

I have even contacted small firms to see if I can work for free. I don't even get replies back most of the time.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”