Bottom 10 of class, 3L, focus on grades, Bar, or employment?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
AntiHuman

Bottom 10 of class, 3L, focus on grades, Bar, or employment?

Postby AntiHuman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:47 pm

3L in last semester of school ever(hopefully?) T30, 2.6-2.7 GPA, bottom 10 percent. NO DEBT coming out and I can afford to work shitlaw jobs for 1-2 years after graduation(10-15 dollars an hour). After that...I will need at least 50K/year with a job that gives me upward mobility in income(maybe 100K+ in 6 years...etc)

1. Grades: Is it pointless to salvage my grades now? I hear it is either top 20 percent or bust and there's no way I can bump myself to even bottom 20 percent. Does it really matter if I am bottom 10 percent of bottom 15 percent? Is there really much difference between median and bottom 15 percent? I am planning not to buy any textbooks and just focus my attention solely on reviewing all the classes on the bar exam and finding employment?

2. Bar: I am planning to take Barbri and can afford to pay my full tuition now. However, will I get access to their study materials now? How else can I study early for the Bar and review all the substantive material? Should I just review their course outlines in the big blue books for law students? How should I start studying for the Bar now before the Barbri course starts?

3. Employment: How much will being bottom 10 percent affect my situation? Will I be haunted with these grades forever? Should I rely solely on connections and forget completely about mass mailing and sending out resumes/cover letters? It seems I will have to rely solely on networking and tapping into friends/family...etc to find jobs?
Last edited by AntiHuman on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Re: Bottom 10 of class, 3L, focus on grades, Bar, or employment?

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:49 pm

AntiHuman wrote:3L in last semester of school ever(hopefully?) T30, 2.6-2.7 GPA, bottom 10 percent. NO DEBT coming out and I can afford to work shitlaw jobs for 1-2 years after graduation(10-15 dollars an hour). After that...I will need at least 50K/year with a job that gives me upward mobility in income(maybe 100K+ in 6 years...etc)

1. Grades: Is it pointless to salvage my grades now? I hear it is either top 20 percent or bust and there's no way I can bump myself to even bottom 20 percent. I am planning not to buy any textbooks and just focus my attention solely on reviewing all the classes on the bar exam and finding employment?

2. Bar: I am planning to take Barbri and can afford to pay my full tuition now. However, will I get access to their study materials now? How else can I study early for the Bar and review all the substantive material? Should I just review their course outlines in the big blue books for law students? How should I start studying for the Bar now before the Barbri course starts?

3. Employment: How much will being bottom 10 percent affect my situation? Will I be haunted with these grades forever? Should I rely solely on connections and forget completely about mass mailing and sending out resumes/cover letters? It seems I will have to rely solely on networking and tapping into friends/family...etc to find jobs?

What work experience/internships do you have?

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:54 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
AntiHuman wrote:3L in last semester of school ever(hopefully?) T30, 2.6-2.7 GPA, bottom 10 percent. NO DEBT coming out and I can afford to work shitlaw jobs for 1-2 years after graduation(10-15 dollars an hour). After that...I will need at least 50K/year with a job that gives me upward mobility in income(maybe 100K+ in 6 years...etc)

1. Grades: Is it pointless to salvage my grades now? I hear it is either top 20 percent or bust and there's no way I can bump myself to even bottom 20 percent. I am planning not to buy any textbooks and just focus my attention solely on reviewing all the classes on the bar exam and finding employment?

No work experience throughout high school or before law school. The only experience I have is working at the DA office for 6 months during school year, small law office for 1L summer, and interned for family law judge for 2L summer.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:59 pm

AntiHuman wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:

No work experience throughout high school or before law school. The only experience I have is working at the DA office for 6 months during school year, small law office for 1L summer, and interned for family law judge for 2L summer.

That's outstanding. Do you want to work for any of those employers? Can they at least write you good rec letters? Those employers care much more about other things than grades. If you want to work in those fields, you are still ok.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:15 pm

1. Grades: Is it pointless to salvage my grades now? I hear it is either top 20 percent or bust and there's no way I can bump myself to even bottom 20 percent. Does it really matter if I am bottom 10 percent of bottom 15 percent? Is there really much difference between median and bottom 15 percent? I am planning not to buy any textbooks and just focus my attention solely on reviewing all the classes on the bar exam and finding employment?

1. Absolutely doesn't matter at this point. Just check out some E&Es from the library before finals and not fail.
2. Why waste the money on Barbri (even if you can afford it). Themis is much cheaper and has comparable (maybe even higher) passage rates. I'm sure in the meantime, you can check out some older editions of these prep books in the law library.
3. Mass mail and work those connections. Hustle Hustle Hustle. Work part time as a clerk in law firm. Get experience.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:47 pm

Unless you can get to 3.0 (which I dont see how you can) your grades wont matter, as long as you pass thats all that matters. Save worrying about Bar for later, spend this entire semester finding employment. Part time clerking for a small firm is a goldmine in my experience, look for new judges that just got appointed or ask your judge if he has hired clerks for next year as well. Job is all that matters for you, I would likely skip 100% of classes and read an E&E for 2-3 days if all I needed was C-B range grades while using the time to find work. No employer is gonna interview you with a 2.8 if they wouldn't have interviewed you with a 2.7.

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:58 pm

50k per year......100k in 6 years..... are you out of your fucking mind man? Think about what you just said.... shit law is 35-45k if you are lucky...... right now, people are paying to work for nothing, got it?

If you want to make 50k a year..... forget about 100k a year..... you are going to have to go back to undergrad, and get a BS in something marketable.

I know I sound like an asshole, but guess what? Life's a bitch.

SEngland

Postby SEngland » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:09 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:50k per year......100k in 6 years..... are you out of your fucking mind man? Think about what you just said.... shit law is 35-45k if you are lucky...... right now, people are paying to work for nothing, got it?

If you want to make 50k a year..... forget about 100k a year..... you are going to have to go back to undergrad, and get a BS in something marketable.

I know I sound like an asshole, but guess what? Life's a bitch.

1. I am new to this site but the douche I am quoting is an idiot

2. Work connections and hustle, also look for JD preferred jobs. What is your UG in? Hustle like no other

3. NO WAY IN HELL do you go back to UG. I have seen this mentioned on here a few times and this has to be the new TLS bullshit mentality. TLS is great but a lot of dumbass comments and users like the guy above me makes this site very hit or miss.

thomas7669

Postby thomas7669 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:15 pm

The above isnt 100% true. 5-6 years out it isnt impossible to make six figures. Grades matter for the prestigious positions. You will probably never ever get one of those. But for everything else it is all about experience and who you know. At least on Long Island I know a few people who graduated around 09 from shit schools(think below median at fucking Touro) making decent money at firms where they can top out in the low six figures, maybe more if they make partner. Dont have any illusions of glamorous work though. Most of it is insurance defense and the like. And of course there is the possibility you will never get the experience needed to get into a decent firm, it is all a crapshoot based on factors that really cant be put into numbers.

Im just saying it is possible, not probable. However it is only worth it if you truly want to a lawyer. If you do, focus on employment 100%. If not start looking into other careers, maybe something where a JD is preferred.

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:44 am

Should I tap into my connections now or wait a bit later near the summer(like march or april) so small firms have a better idea of their needs? I mean I won't be able to work till August 1st anyway due to the bar

Myself

Postby Myself » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:49 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

h_jane_w

Postby h_jane_w » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:10 am

1. NO, it's not pointless. You should do everything you can to salvage your grades.
2. You need to salvage your grades, take your finals, then take time off to study for the Bar,
3. Yes, you will be haunted by them forever and ever. Everytime you want a new job. Even if you get it through a connection, chances are they will ask for your transcript.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:48 pm

h_jane_w wrote:

1. NO, it's not pointless. You should do everything you can to salvage your grades.
2. You need to salvage your grades, take your finals, then take time off to study for the Bar,
3. Yes, you will be haunted by them forever and ever. Everytime you want a new job. Even if you get it through a connection, chances are they will ask for your transcript.

kingofdara

Postby kingofdara » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:16 am

f0bolous wrote:
h_jane_w wrote:

This.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:46 am

kingofdara wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
h_jane_w wrote:

This.

This, too.

Grades don't mean a damn thing to small/midlaw firm past your first job, and they don't even really mean much in getting your first job. It's more about fit, any prior internships/work experience, and how you conduct yourself in an interview. I worked at a small firm last summer and they never even asked me for my transcript ever...just a resume. It was a great experience, too, and it wasn't shitlaw. I got to accompany the attorneys to the bench when they argued before the judge, got to write and file my own motions and briefs, etc. Of course, I did some doc review and other mundane tasks, too.

TLS exaggerates how bad small/midlaw is. It's not all shitlaw. It's only categorically bad if you have $200K in debt, because you won't make enough to pay that off. But there is a lot of small/midlaw firms that give you great experience, with a much better lifestyle. And a $60K starting salary is entirely manageable if you go to law school for close to free. Also, if you work at a legitimate small/midlaw firm, it's not uncommon for your salary to rise quickly if you are good, and it's a lot easier to eventually make partner.

That's not to ignore the fact that there are absolutely terrible positions out there in small firms/ID or PI mills, etc. I have no idea the percentage of non-biglaw jobs are actually legit places to work. I'd still say the majority are terrible, but there's a decent gap between "majority" and "all." Like I've said before, the people I know who got legit small law jobs that minimized their debt are the happiest lawyers I know. The Biglaw ones are by far the most miserable. Now that's just anecdotal...I know only about a dozen or so practicing attorneys, about half of which are in Biglaw, a few are in legit small law, and a few are in shitlaw/still can't find a job.

But I digress too much. You have great experience with your internships. It's just the kind small/mid-sized firms would want. You'll be fine, and the poster that someone crossed out above is either an idiot or a troll.

atcushman

Postby atcushman » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:00 am

Not to troll but I see people considering dropping out after getting 1 C+ in their 1st semester 1L year let alone all below median grades. Did you know by the end of your first semester that this would be your fate? And if so, what made you decide to stick it out?

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:30 am

Thanks everyone. I have decided not to buy my textbooks and just focus on bar studying and finding employment. Taking a light courseload any way, so I can cram a week or two before finals.

1. bar studying: what can I do now to review substantive material before the Barbri class in May? I payed my full tuition for the course, so I have access to their early start program, I believe. I also have the two Barbri big blue books full of course outlines. But I hear those are too much and meant for law school exams?

2. Employment: I have several connections through family members and friends. Should I tap into those connections now or wait a few months? I won't be working till late August anyway and I don't want to bug people too much. I also don't want to contact them too early and see if any jobs will open by late August(8 months away...). I was planning to email everyone over spring break(late march).

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:57 pm

AntiHuman wrote:Thanks everyone. I have decided not to buy my textbooks and just focus on bar studying and finding employment. Taking a light courseload any way, so I can cram a week or two before finals.

1. bar studying: what can I do now to review substantive material before the Barbri class in May? I payed my full tuition for the course, so I have access to their early start program, I believe. I also have the two Barbri big blue books full of course outlines. But I hear those are too much and meant for law school exams?

2. Employment: I have several connections through family members and friends. Should I tap into those connections now or wait a few months? I won't be working till late August anyway and I don't want to bug people too much. I also don't want to contact them too early and see if any jobs will open by late August(8 months away...). I was planning to email everyone over spring break(late march).

Don't worry about the bar exam until the summer. Focus entirely on employment. Start working those connections now. Obviously, you don't ask about employment now, but grab coffee or lunch with these people, ask them about themselves, and make them LIKE you. Otherwise, when you hit them up in September/October after the bar results come out, you're just like any other law grad to them.

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:06 pm

f0bolous wrote:
AntiHuman wrote:Thanks everyone. I have decided not to buy my textbooks and just focus on bar studying and finding employment. Taking a light courseload any way, so I can cram a week or two before finals.

Don't worry about the bar exam until the summer. Focus entirely on employment. Start working those connections now. Obviously, you don't ask about employment now, but grab coffee or lunch with these people, ask them about themselves, and make them LIKE you. Otherwise, when you hit them up in September/October after the bar results come out, you're just like any other law grad to them.

Took SAT 3 times, ACT 3 times, LSAT 3 times and already failed MPRE once. However, I don't think I'm completely dumb because I do very well on papers and assignments where I can take my time. I had a super high gpa in high school and college, but my test scores were always low because I was not good under time conditions. I was planning to do the Barbri early prep program?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:22 pm

You should be looking for a part time job NOW. You should be looking and networking and tapping connections YESTERDAY. Seriously, you need to saddle up and hustle your face off, and waiting til the summer is not the right plan. Sure, there may not be a job for you now, but you need to be meeting as many people as youcan. I think you need to try to find small firm job or something and work part time, that's your most likely shot at a job at graduation, though unfortunately its already late January. Its one thing to have bad grades, its another to put yourself behind the ball by waiting and not being proactive. Mass mail your resume, set up as many coffee chats and info interviews as you can, get back in touch with people youve met and worked for who liked you, and try to get more experience.

Also, as harsh the above comment was was, I agree that you may need to temper your expectations a bit. 50k would be an amazing first job for you, and 100k+ could take a while. Some attorneys never even get to that level, and you've got an uphill climb.

Good luck with your hunt OP. Make employment searching priority number 1 ASAP.

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:56 pm

The problem with most shitlaw jobs is that there really isn't much upward mobility.

Rootbeer

Postby Rootbeer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:19 pm

AntiHuman wrote:Took SAT 3 times, ACT 3 times, LSAT 3 times and already failed MPRE once. However, I don't think I'm completely dumb because I do very well on papers and assignments where I can take my time. I had a super high gpa in high school and college, but my test scores were always low because I was not good under time conditions. I was planning to do the Barbri early prep program?

It sounds like you may have ADHD issues. Without knowing more about you, of course, it's merely a hunch. I would recommend looking into it if you haven't.

From what I know, timed conditions are the big enemy of those with ADHD, especially if untreated. Obviously, if you're going to a decent law school, you're not completely dumb. However, most law school exams make life difficult for those with ADHD. Due primarily to most law school courses being graded on the basis of a single timed exam, often requiring the thorough reading of very long passages in large classrooms full of other students click-clacking away, it would make sense for one afflicted with ADHD to do fine on take-home exams or papers while flubbing the usual law school exams. When I say flubbing, I mean C or lower...not the typical "got a B+ thinking of dropping out" nonsense.

If you have already been diagnosed and are trying to keep things under wraps, just go ahead and ignore me.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:59 pm

People here are crazy. You have a great shot at a legitimate legal career. You can do better than lower-level personal injury-type work as well. You are in a better place than people at the bottom of T14s with debt load. Do the following:

1) Develop operating knowledge in a particular, NARROW, type of sub-specialty (e.g., ERISA).
2) Find some way to market yourself based upon said sub-specialty. One way to do so is to submit articles to academic and trade publication on the topic. A professor may be willing to take you under his/her wing and help you in this area.
3) Get really good at discussing and marketing yourself on the basis of that specialty.
4) Find a small firm/solo with this type of practice and work for little/free in order to gain practical experience in this area.
5) Once you get to a few months you may get hired on full time at said firm, you may be able to find a firm who is looking for 1-3 yrs experience with this specialty.
6) Work for a couple years at 40-50k, gain an understanding of the legal market nuances surrounding said specialty, and start your own firm.

I have a partner friend at a NLJ250 firm who took someone from a TTT in this situation and hired her after one year full time. He was able to convince other firm partners to do so because it was so hard to find someone in her personal specialty, and he knew that she was a reliable attorney at this point.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:10 pm

How are you doing now, OP?

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:03 am

BlueLotus wrote:How are you doing now, OP?

Graduated May 2013 from a T50 in the bottom 10 percent of class.
No debt
No job, although an attorney wants to hire me if I pass the bar.

Failed July 2013 CA Bar exam. MBE was okay, but my writing needed improvement. I found the CA Bar to be VERY difficult. I think I may have ADHD, I just can't focus on all the materials in the PT's. It's too much for me.

Retaking in February 2014. However, it's not looking good for me.

Options if I fail in February include: find another career, or take the Massachusetts bar exam and leave my family and friends in California...that's if I really want to be a lawyer and don't want 3 years of education and 200K to go down the drain.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”