Bar Exam Multiple Choice

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
DwightSchruteFarms

Bar Exam Multiple Choice

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:40 pm

I know it's a bit early but I was wondering if anyone had any tips as to how to pass the Multi-state portion of the Bar Exam. I have been pretty bad at MC in law school and I figured if I started a little earlier and tackled the problem now, I could increase my chances of passing.

Any advice?

philosoraptor

Re: Bar Exam Multiple Choice

Postby philosoraptor » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:47 pm

BarBri?

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:50 pm

I've heard Barbri is not too helpful in prepping for the MC. Is there anythign I can do outside of just BarPrep? Im sure there are many people who have been in my shoes and I just want to know what they did (assuming they believed, like I do, that Barbri is/was not going to be sufficient prep).

Cane26

Postby Cane26 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:52 pm

I just took a ton of the practice tests that BarBri gives you. I started off pretty poorly, but I scored pretty high on the MBE. Higher than on the essay section. Just work exams, similar to the LSAT in that sense.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:40 pm

I found Barbri's MC perfectly helpful - I ended up doing all the practice MC they had available and did well. But if you're concerned that Barbri isn't that good for MC, take Kaplan, as I've heard people say they do the MBE prep better. (Or you can do some combo of both - at least the year I took it, Kaplan offered various independent 1 or 2 day MBE workshops that you could take without taking the whole bar prep course from them.)

The only way to start early that I can think of would be to get hold of some used bar prep outlines and start memorizing. Most of the challenge on the bar is just learning a huge amount of material.

AMCD

Postby AMCD » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:58 am

Two friends who did v. well on the MBE told me that you need to exceed 2,500 practice questions to be solid. Both did Kaplan also. You can purchase the Kaplan MBE portion of their bar prep. only -- about 1K I believe. Another friend who did poorly throughout LS on MC and then did well on the bar said that he focused way more on MC than on anything else and did so many questions that he felt that was how he learned the law well enough to pass -- he did over 3,000. All sounds really depressing the more I think about it!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”