Another "should I drop out?" thread...Sorry Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
hmmidunno

New

Another "should I drop out?" thread...Sorry

Post by hmmidunno » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:40 am

So first of all, I am a 1L at a T20 with unspectacular (around median) grades. I'm really not at all happy here. Being back from winter break is extremely depressing for me. I don't enjoy my core classes at all. I like LRW a little more than the other classes but I still don't actually LIKE it. I also really don't like my fellow law students.

Thinking about this, I realized that I'd probably be miserable as a practicing lawyer, so I'm wondering if I should just drop out before finishing the rest of the semester. Problem is, I've already paid. (My loans essentially automatically went through to pay for what my scholarship doesn't cover.) I don't know exactly how to go about getting a refund or if it's possible at this point. I'd have to find this out. I'm basically one of those people who went to law school because I didn't have any other options. That's another concern of mine if I were to drop out.... I don't know what I could do. I don't have work experience. My degree is basically useless.

I just really don't see how I can deal with another semester of this. Is dropping out because you're depressed and don't like law school a justified decision, or stupid?

otnemem

Bronze

Re: Another "should I drop out?" thread...Sorry

Post by otnemem » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:06 am

How much debt would you be facing when you graduate?

hmmidunno

New

Post by hmmidunno » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:11 am

80kish

MinEMorris

Bronze

Post by MinEMorris » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:20 am

If you don't enjoy law school and don't envision yourself enjoying law practice (very few people really do), aren't passionate about an area of public interest, and don't envision biglaw or something else that might give a big financial incentive, I just don't see why you'd stay in law school. Even if you have a significant scholarship, the opportunity cost likely makes it not worth it.

I know your situation feels really depressing and defeating right now, but if you seriously aren't happy in law school, I guarantee that if you get through the experience of dropping out and starting on a new life path, you will be a baller mature champion that can make major life decisions that most people don't have the balls to. On top of that, you'll probably be well on your way to a much happier and meaningful life.

As far as what you can do after dropping out, I really don't know you well enough to give you any strong suggestions. One thing that comes to mind that seems to be popular nowadays, though, is teaching English abroad. It enables you to travel, immerse yourself in a new culture (and thus get some perspective on life), get paid/get work experience, and possibly also work on learning a new language. If you got into a T20, you're obviously a smart and well-educated person, so I'm sure you could get into a good program if it's something you're interested in.

I wish you luck. I know it's hard to believe now, but I think that you will look back at dropping out of law school as being one of the most meaningful and worthwhile turning points in your life if you go through with doing it.

otnemem

Bronze

Post by otnemem » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:29 am

I don't think getting at least most of your tuition money back should be much of a problem, but you'll need to look into that.

I could be wrong, but I feel like most people don't love 1L, and at least some of those people go on to (reasonably) enjoy being lawyers. If you think it's possible you might be one of those people, it may be worth sticking this semester out, and then seeing how you like your summer job. However, if you really hate this stuff, then just leave.

From a purely financial/jobs standpoint, median at a T20 w/ 80k in debt is not the worst place to be if you want to be a lawyer. However, if you don't want to be one, then it's obviously terrible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

h_jane_w

New

Post by h_jane_w » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:42 am

If you were to graduate, what market would you want to practice in?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:07 pm

It's a sign

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:28 pm

otnemem wrote:I don't think getting at least most of your tuition money back should be much of a problem, but you'll need to look into that.
Figure that out today! My law school gives you only a 50% tuition refund after the first day of class and NOTHING after the first two weeks (add/drop period).

eerie_erie

Bronze

Post by eerie_erie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:43 pm

This is a big decision to make. I'm not here to make a judgment either way, but I just wanted to throw out there that it might be a good idea to talk to your academic dean (if he/she is nice) and any people you particularly trust (non-law or law). Hopefully you're amenable to this suggestion because while the people here on TLS are mostly helpful we probably won't know the whole story.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”