Deleted.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LSL

Deleted.

Postby LSL » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:39 pm

Last edited by LSL on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

ph14

Re: Grades are back. Not thrilled. Advice?

Postby ph14 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:40 pm

LSL wrote:So, I'll start this out with I am definitely NOT looking for big law or firm work in general. I'm 100% interested in government or public interest work. At a T1 school. I also have relevant work experience in those areas.

That said, I'll end up with a [Edited upon request of OP] curve. So, below median, but not sure yet how low until rank is posted. Just waiting on one small credit grade.

Just feels shitty. I know this is TLS, but can you all give me a little confidence here? I'll try to figure out how below median I am tomorrow. But this is still okay right? Work my ass off and get better at the exams right is the general advice for this situation right?

Thanks everyone. And please, keep it respectful. My ego is fairly bruised...

Talk to your professors, figure out where you can improve. Compare your answer to the model answer if your professor has made it available. Work on doing better next semester. Try and get some experience in a particular PI field so that you will have a resume that really makes sense for doing that type of work, which may help you overcome grades. PI groups are often more concerned with hiring devotees to the cause rather than grade superstars.
Last edited by ph14 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSL

Postby LSL » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:49 pm

ph14 wrote:Talk to your professors, figure out where you can improve. Compare your answer to the model answer if your professor has made it available. Work on doing better next semester. Try and get some experience in a particular PI field so that you will have a resume that really makes sense for doing that type of work, which may help you overcome grades. PI groups are often more concerned with hiring devotees to the cause rather than grade superstars.

Thanks for the response. Yeah, it's strange, none of my profs had model exam answers before the exam. And only one does this semester and it's not very extensive. You know I was asking about past exams early on with how often it's suggested on TLS. I'll definitely be setting up appointments with profs. And this semester, I'll definitely make more use of office hours. Really should have done that more.
Last edited by LSL on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:53 pm

LSL wrote:
ph14 wrote:Talk to your professors, figure out where you can improve. Compare your answer to the model answer if your professor has made it available. Work on doing better next semester. Try and get some experience in a particular PI field so that you will have a resume that really makes sense for doing that type of work, which may help you overcome grades. PI groups are often more concerned with hiring devotees to the cause rather than grade superstars.

Thanks for the response. Yeah, it's strange, none of my profs had model exam answers. And only one does this semester and it's not very extensive. You know I was asking about past exams early on with how often it's suggested on TLS. I'll definitely be setting up appointments with profs. And this semester, I'll definitely make more use of office hours. Really should have done that more.

Office hours are mostly useless, unless you have some specific question that you can't figure out on your own. But yeah, talking to your professors about the exam might be helpful.

LSL

Postby LSL » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:56 pm

ph14 wrote:Office hours are mostly useless, unless you have some specific question that you can't figure out on your own. But yeah, talking to your professors about the exam might be helpful.

That's generally what the sentiment is. It's interesting, a fair number of profs at my school give participation bumps. I was thinking of using office hours as a way to bump up my visible participation without constantly having to think of stuff to bring up in class. Good idea?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:01 am

LSL wrote:
ph14 wrote:Office hours are mostly useless, unless you have some specific question that you can't figure out on your own. But yeah, talking to your professors about the exam might be helpful.

That's generally what the sentiment is. It's interesting, a fair number of profs at my school give participation bumps. I was thinking of using office hours as a way to bump up my visible participation without constantly having to think of stuff to bring up in class. Good idea?

Ah gotcha. Well in that case, visiting office hours makes a lot of sense. I would definitely make some visits.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”