(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:27 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Re: ExamSoft Word Count Error

Postby ph14 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:31 pm

hoos89 wrote:I am posting this with full awareness that almost everyone's first presumption is going to be that I made an error. However, please swallow that impulse.

My contracts exam had 3 questions with 1250 word limits each. When I took the exam I was right on the limit and remember explicitly that I had 1246, 1250, and 1250 words for the three questions respectively.

However, I went to check my exam today just to see if I had missed any major issues and I noticed that the word count for the first 2 questions was about 1285, and for the third was 1250. Now, I did quite well on this exam so I assume that the penalty for going over the word count was not that high. However, I can only presume that there was SOME penalty (my professor is out of town so I haven't had a chance to discuss the matter with him, and ExamSoft wouldn't tell me anything). If it were a few words I might assume that I had somehow made a mistake (maybe added some empty lines somewhere), but it seems unthinkable that I could be 30+ words over on TWO questions without noticing it.

I am mainly wondering if anyone else has had or heard of someone else having a similar issue? I am not so concerned about this class, but that such an error might occur again.

Never heard of this happening. Have you thought about emailing ExamSoft? They might be able to look into it for you. Also, at least with Exam 4, I think they automatically save a copy for you of the exam every minute. I have no idea if that is deleted when you upload it, but it might be saved somewhere on there, retrievable by IT people at Exam 4 or your school.

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:38 pm

ph14 wrote:
hoos89 wrote:I am posting this with full awareness that almost everyone's first presumption is going to be that I made an error. However, please swallow that impulse.

My contracts exam had 3 questions with 1250 word limits each. When I took the exam I was right on the limit and remember explicitly that I had 1246, 1250, and 1250 words for the three questions respectively.

However, I went to check my exam today just to see if I had missed any major issues and I noticed that the word count for the first 2 questions was about 1285, and for the third was 1250. Now, I did quite well on this exam so I assume that the penalty for going over the word count was not that high. However, I can only presume that there was SOME penalty (my professor is out of town so I haven't had a chance to discuss the matter with him, and ExamSoft wouldn't tell me anything). If it were a few words I might assume that I had somehow made a mistake (maybe added some empty lines somewhere), but it seems unthinkable that I could be 30+ words over on TWO questions without noticing it.

I am mainly wondering if anyone else has had or heard of someone else having a similar issue? I am not so concerned about this class, but that such an error might occur again.

Never heard of this happening. Have you thought about emailing ExamSoft? They might be able to look into it for you. Also, at least with Exam 4, I think they automatically save a copy for you of the exam every minute. I have no idea if that is deleted when you upload it, but it might be saved somewhere on there, retrievable by IT people at Exam 4 or your school.
It's not deleted; it's saved in a file on in a folder called exam40.
I don't think there's necessarily "some penalty" for going a few words over either. If I were a professor and the student finished the sentence or even the paragraph but stayed within shouting distance of the limit, I'd ignore it.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:41 pm

/

alphagamma

Postby alphagamma » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:19 pm

When you went back to check your word count, did you do so in ExamSoft, or in some other program? I've noticed that ExamSoft handles word counts differently than, say, Word. For example, ExamSoft counts two words separated by a dash (or two hyphens) as one word, whereas Word counts them as two. Could quirks like this explain the disparity?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:10 pm

/

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:12 pm

hoos89 wrote:
alphagamma wrote:When you went back to check your word count, did you do so in ExamSoft, or in some other program? I've noticed that ExamSoft handles word counts differently than, say, Word. For example, ExamSoft counts two words separated by a dash (or two hyphens) as one word, whereas Word counts them as two. Could quirks like this explain the disparity?

No I checked it in ExamSoft; out of curiosity, how would I have counted it in a different program? Do some exams not force all other programs to shut down?

In Exam 4 for takehome exams you can write the entire thing in Word. And I think the same for open exams.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”