thoughts on 1.5L prep? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
redsox550

thoughts on 1.5L prep?

Post by redsox550 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:43 pm

finished fall semester, thoughts on leisurely watching some barbri lectures before spring semester starts?
im familiar with the different thoughts and opinions regarding 0L prep, does the same hold true for 1.5L prep ?

MinEMorris

Bronze

Re: thoughts on 1.5L prep?

Post by MinEMorris » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:58 pm

I don't think there's much for you to do. If you feel motivated, I would just be snooping around to try and find old outlines for each of your professors (no need to read them, just have them ready), see reviews about them on things like ratemyprofessor (obviously not totally reliable, but still sometimes helpful like when everybody says he tests on every single word he says in class), or even take a peek at their previous exams so that you know what they seem to test on and you'll know what to concentrate on during class (e.g. a bunch of historical questions vs. purely issue spotter hypos). Also, hunt for cheap textbooks.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:21 pm

Do you have a job lined up for summer? You could work on that.

Im probably gonna do like 3 weeks of reading, so I feel ahead.

LazinessPerSe

Bronze

Post by LazinessPerSe » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:43 pm

Nothing helps Spring grades more than a mental break from exam cycle. Start a new hobby?

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:30 pm

LazinessPerSe wrote:Nothing helps Spring grades more than a mental break from exam cycle. Start a new hobby?
This. I remember Spring 1L being much more bleak. Post-grades there was very little gung ho or active class participation. Everyone was reality checked and stressing out finding summer work. Just work on sending out applications and relax. The next month or so will really be formative in changing your views towards LS (in my opinion anyways).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eerie_erie

Bronze

Post by eerie_erie » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:37 am

2L here.

I agree that it is important to rest your brain and also reflect on how you can improve this semester. Even if you did well, it seems like a good idea in general to always strive to do a little better instead of settling (and I'm not just talking about grades either). I agree that focusing on job applications is good as well. It gets crazy when the semester starts.

One thing I've discovered is that people have a range of reactions, the most common in my experience being that (a) they tend to gun a little bit harder and/or (b) feel really annoyed/burdened/overwhelmed/resigned about the workload in law school. It is only natural; after all, most people come in not knowing much about the experience. Take what you've learned from the past few months and apply it to this semester and see where it takes you. Good luck.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:31 am

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:32 am

Forget school, I'm going snowboarding.

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:01 pm

ajax adonis wrote:Nothing helps more than doing your own outlining. You don't have to write it from beginning to end, but what I did was take an old outline from the professor's class (that was written for the professor, so not a general torts outline) and edit it myself.

So I took an outline (Prof. Smith Torts Outline.doc) and edited it and personalized it by looking at my class notes and reading.
This is basically what I did. No grades yet, but I'll let you know how it worked out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:43 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Forget school, I'm going snowboarding.
Lol, same...but then I got the flu.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:41 pm

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:33 pm

ajax adonis wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:Nothing helps more than doing your own outlining. You don't have to write it from beginning to end, but what I did was take an old outline from the professor's class (that was written for the professor, so not a general torts outline) and edit it myself.

So I took an outline (Prof. Smith Torts Outline.doc) and edited it and personalized it by looking at my class notes and reading.
This is basically what I did. No grades yet, but I'll let you know how it worked out.
Okay.
Was talking to OP.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”