Tickets on Character and Fitness.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
wildhaggis

Tickets on Character and Fitness.

Postby wildhaggis » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:35 pm

Back when I was a teenager, I got a seatbelt ticket.

Character and fitness questionnaire requires us to disclose these tickets received in the last seven years.

I have no clue when exactly I got this ticket; I'm thinking I was 17, but it's possible I was 18. That said, I'm 25 now. What should I do if I genuinely don't know when I got this ticket?

Captain Hammer

Re: Tickets on Character and Fitness.

Postby Captain Hammer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:37 pm

Request your traffic history with the state DMV. It'll list the dates of offenses.

wildhaggis

Postby wildhaggis » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:39 pm

Appreciate it.

One more question that's character and fitness related..

It requires you to disclose accounts sent to collection. I've never had overdue debt obligations that have been sent to collection, but I have been unlucky enough to have two accounts belonging to someone else erroneously reported on my credit report as sent to collection. Of course, I've since had them removed, as the accounts were not mine.

What should be done about this?

wildhaggis

Postby wildhaggis » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:42 pm

wildhaggis wrote:Appreciate it.

One more question that's character and fitness related..

It requires you to disclose accounts sent to collection. I've never had overdue debt obligations that have been sent to collection, but I have been unlucky enough to have two accounts belonging to someone else erroneously reported on my credit report as sent to collection. Of course, I've since had them removed, as the accounts were not mine.

What should be done about this?

Anybody have any insight on this?

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:20 pm

You might also be able to contact the court clerk's office and ask them about the seat belt violation.

Contact the C&F office for specific questions. Most are more than willing to answer any questions you may have. Nonetheless, the general answer is to attach an addendum explaining the two collection incidents.

wildhaggis

Postby wildhaggis » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:54 pm

So, a bit of an update.

My state happens to have an online BMV thing, and after registering and viewing my "driver's record" on there, I don't see any tickets listed or anything of that sort. There are zero convictions and the only remarks indicate all of my prior license renewals and my driver's education.

Any thoughts as to how I should proceed now that it hasn't shown up on my BMV account?

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:07 pm

Many states expunge moving violations from a driver record after a set period of time. That does not mean the C&F committee won't find the violations. It's probably best to contact the clerks offices at the courts where you made appearances for the deets.

eerie_erie

Postby eerie_erie » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:40 am

Does your school have someone that works specially on C&F questions? Maybe you can ask him/her. I think a good place to start would be Student Affairs or your career center to find that contact.

Shmoopy

Postby Shmoopy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:43 am

Regarding the collections, it won't hurt to explain what happened. Last thing you need is for C&F to find them anyway and be concerned about why you didn't disclose, and I don't see the downside to disclosing.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:20 am

Regarding collections, does anyone know where to find information about medical billing collections? I had a medical bill go to collections a few years ago, but I resolved it, and I'm not sure if i have the paperwork. Should I just call the hospital?

wildhaggis

Postby wildhaggis » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:09 pm

I have no problem with disclosing the accounts, the only issue is that I have almost none of the information required on the character and fitness questionnaire for collections accounts, since they were not mine and were removed as soon as they were protested and deemed erroneous. It's that issue specifically that I've been trying to figure out.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”