I need some reassurance

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Crash32

I need some reassurance

Postby Crash32 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:38 am

Ok - So I am a 2L top 20% LR at T1 school. I have 4 of my 5 grades back and all was fairly in line with my previous semesters except for 1 class where I took a big hit and wound up slightly below the curve. I don't know what happened, but it was all multiple choice and I left thinking that I over thought the exam ... oh well. How big of a deal is this going to be? I might drop a percentage point or 2 dependent on the last grade, but it won't make a big dent because it was a 2 credit class (assuming I didn't bomb it). I currently have a SA position w/ a mid-sized firm for 6 weeks and am interviewing w/ some others to fill out the summer. Does this one bad grade matter that much? Am I having a mild panic attack for little/ no reason?

Ludo!

Re: I need some reassurance

Postby Ludo! » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:46 am

You're fine dude. Almost everyone gets at least one bad grade in law school. A lot of firms (most?) don't care about your 2l grades at all so the likelihood of them caring about one bad grade is pretty slim

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:47 am

Quit your bitching, you have a SA gig and are in the Top 20%. Oh no.....

Crash32

Postby Crash32 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:49 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:You're fine dude. Almost everyone gets at least one bad grade in law school. A lot of firms (most?) don't care about your 2l grades at all so the likelihood of them caring about one bad grade is pretty slim

Thank you for this ...

sparty99 wrote:Quit your bitching, you have a SA gig and are in the Top 20%. Oh no.....

annnnnd thank you for this, too!

Also, looking at grades night before an interview ------> dumbest idea EVER!

PutSumGravyOnIt

Postby PutSumGravyOnIt » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:47 am

Yeah, don't look at grades before an interview. But c'mon... really? Are you really complaining here? Jesus. Try thinking about your issue from the viewpoint of most of the thousands of people who are on here, who would trade for your situation in a heartbeat.

Ooooor this guy could be a troll...

Crash32

Postby Crash32 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:00 am

PutSumGravyOnIt wrote:Yeah, don't look at grades before an interview. But c'mon... really? Are you really complaining here? Jesus. Try thinking about your issue from the viewpoint of most of the thousands of people who are on here, who would trade for your situation in a heartbeat.

Not a troll - just a sleep deprived law student who has been freaking out lately for no reason (thank you for that, law school) and who looked at grades at incredibly the wrong time. Thanks for the dose of perspective

mmk33

Postby mmk33 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:16 am

PutSumGravyOnIt wrote:Yeah, don't look at grades before an interview. But c'mon... really? Are you really complaining here? Jesus. Try thinking about your issue from the viewpoint of most of the thousands of people who are on here, who would trade for your situation in a heartbeat.

The question is totally reasonable OP. I mean people come here and agonize whether to take a full ride at Columbia or partial scholarship at Harvard. But I agree with above, that you will be fine. Congrats on the SA and your grades, etc.

ClubberLang

Postby ClubberLang » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:29 pm

You're totally screwed bro...may want to look into P school.

Metaread

Postby Metaread » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:59 pm

OP, I'm in a worse situation than you, but I'd echo the others that there is hope if you just got the one bad grade. That said, I don't think biglaw firms even look at resumes twice if the overall GPA isn't great.

ClubberLang wrote:ally screwed bro...may want to look into P school.

What is P school?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:02 pm

Iono why you all are acting like this guy has it all sewn up. He has a half summer midlaw SA. How often do firms with those sorts of programs have 100% offer rates?

Still I doubt the hit to your GPA is going to ruin your chances at an offer. Just do good work.

Crash32

Postby Crash32 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:26 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:You're fine dude. Almost everyone gets at least one bad grade in law school. A lot of firms (most?) don't care about your 2l grades at all so the likelihood of them caring about one bad grade is pretty slim

Ok, so let this be a lesson to people freaking out about grades before getting all of their grades. My final grade came back high enough to erase the effect of the bad grade. In fact, my GPA went up this semester, even with the bad grade. I am still irritated w/ the grade, but its a lesson for me to calm the hell down. Now I can just go back to worrying about filling out my summer.

IAFG wrote:Iono why you all are acting like this guy has it all sewn up. He has a half summer midlaw SA. How often do firms with those sorts of programs have 100% offer rates?

Still I doubt the hit to your GPA is going to ruin your chances at an offer. Just do good work.

This is the first summer the firm I am working w/ has had two 6 week SAs instead of 1 full summer. Previously, they had offered most-all SAs, so I don't know if they are looking to expand w/ 2 SAs, or setting up a competition. Any thoughts on that?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:01 am

Crash32 wrote:This is the first summer the firm I am working w/ has had two 6 week SAs instead of 1 full summer. Previously, they had offered most-all SAs, so I don't know if they are looking to expand w/ 2 SAs, or setting up a competition. Any thoughts on that?

how on earth would anyone here know? just do the best you can. no point speculating and freaking out.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”