(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
notcool

Postby notcool » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:07 pm

Thanks, everyone
Last edited by notcool on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Law Sauce

Re: Lackluster performance on finals... Are there still options?

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:13 pm

Not a great start, but not hopeless either. I'd probably finish out the year at least and see if I could pull up into the top third. 60k at graduation is not that much debt compared to many; it would be livable with a ~40k job. Start hustling and please, no more excuses

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:34 pm

I would wait until the end of 1L year to drop out since you're probably at median now.

I would not want to be median going into OCI, FWIW.

FranklinSims

Postby FranklinSims » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:36 pm

Start hustling and please, no more excuses

I have mentored students in past semesters who have taken worse grades than this and finished second semester with A's. You can do this. I just heard from one of my Fall Semester mentees today at Loyola law school and her lowest grade was A- and her highest grade and A+*(A plus star). Find an upperclassman/woman with enough knowledge to guide you. Also, if I can help I will. Too many good students find themselves in your position and all they need is a little guidance to make big improvements.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:40 pm

If you want to be a lawyer you aren't in such bad shape you wouldn't be able to find some kind of legal job that could pay off $60k. Like the other posters said, I think you should finish out the year but also see how you like your 1L summer job. I really enjoyed mine.

notcool

Postby notcool » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:56 pm

Thanks for the advice.

^^ Regarding the 1L summer job, is it still possible for me to get something that isn't an RA? (Nothing against RAs, but I just want to do something that's more actual legal-related. I was thinking a public interest firm would be cool. As you can see I really am still very ignorant about the 1L summer job search, which is bad, I know). As I'll only have these crappy 1st semester grades to go off of when I'm applying for jobs...

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:04 pm

notcool wrote:Thanks for the advice.

^^ Regarding the 1L summer job, is it still possible for me to get something that isn't an RA? (Nothing against RAs, but I just want to do something that's more actual legal-related. I was thinking a public interest firm would be cool). As I'll only have these crappy 1st semester grades to go off of when I'm applying for jobs...

All I can speak of is my own experience but 1L jobs aren't that hard to come by if you apply broadly. PI firms, judges (including state appellate), and state and local government agencies hire a lot of people. I worked for a city legal department and it was great. I got to settle cases (eminent domain proceedings in the pre-trial administrative process anyway) with opposing counsel with basically no supervision other than our reservation price. I think state and local gov't positions are really overlooked: my summer internship gave me a lot to talk about at OCI. At worst it's about the same as any other generic 1L summer position.

kingofdara

Postby kingofdara » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:25 pm

Law Sauce wrote:Not a great start, but not hopeless either. I'd probably finish out the year at least and see if I could pull up into the top third. 60k at graduation is not that much debt compared to many; it would be livable with a ~40k job. Start hustling and please, no more excuses

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:29 pm

FranklinSims wrote:Loyola law school... A+*(A plus star).

This sounds like something they give out to 5 year old kindergartners, not 20 something law students.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”