The Supplements Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jessuf

The Supplements Thread

Postby jessuf » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:38 pm

Instead of someone posting a new "what is the best supplement for xyz class?" thread every time they want to purchase a supplement, let's have one comprehensive supplements thread. Discuss which supplements are awesome and which sucked.

My list:
Criminal Law:
-Dressler's Understanding Criminal Law is the absolute best. It contains common law, MPC, etc.
-LexisNexis Q&A is great for multiple choice.
-Glannon was good but nowhere near as good as Dressler.

Contracts:
I didn't like any of my contracts supplements. I used Gilbert's and Emanuels. Not a fan of either and rarely used them when I saw they were useless for my class. Definitely no policy in those books.

Con Law:
-Chemerinsky hands down. It's insanely long but awesome.
-Quimbee has good case briefs. You can get a subscription for $4.95 a month, copy and paste all of the briefs you need in one day, and then cancel your subscription. Quimbee is also good for crim law and crim pro briefs.

Property:
-The Short and Happy Guide to Property is a short and easy read. Gives you a brief overview of property topics but is great if you're confused about estates.
-Sprankling's Understanding Property Law is a lot more in-depth and also great at helping you understand everything. It's also great for an open-book test with multiple choice or short answers. I looked up a lot of stuff in mine that my professor NEVER covered in class/readings but threw on the final away.

Torts
-Lexis Q&A for multiple choice is good. That's all I used.

Antitrust
-E&E is awesome. It had every case in there that my class covered with easy to understand explanations of all of the rules.

Corporations
-I was unable to find a supplement I liked for this course. I bought the E&E and Crunchtime, but I was pretty meh about these and instead mostly used old outlines.

Admin Law
-Same as corporations - I used E&E and Crunchtime and was meh about them.

Crim Pro
-Emanuel and the E&E were pretty good. I used them to clarify some issues that I was a bit confused on, and every case discussed in my class was covered in the E&E. If you choose one, go for the E&E.

Now someone should share a good Evidence supplement. :)

ilovesf

Re: The Supplements Thread

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:42 pm

I didn't really like Chemerinsky as much as everyone else did. I felt like it did a good job filling me in on important cases, but it didn't have as much analysis as I would have liked. Then again, I read it a while ago so I might be forgetting. I'm taking Con Law 2 now, is there a better one?

Also - anyone know about Public International Law? (lol). Something about the UN.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:44 pm

Also, to add: Civ Pro
I liked the E&E a lot, but I didn't read Freer like a lot of people suggested.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:45 pm

ilovesf wrote:I didn't really like Chemerinsky as much as everyone else did. I felt like it did a good job filling me in on important cases, but it didn't have as much analysis as I would have liked. Then again, I read it a while ago so I might be forgetting. I'm taking Con Law 2 now, is there a better one?

Also - anyone know about Public International Law? (lol). Something about the UN.

I found Inside Con Law, what matters + why to be a mini-chemerinsky of equal value.

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:47 pm

ilovesf wrote:Also, to add: Civ Pro
I liked the E&E a lot, but I didn't read Freer like a lot of people suggested.

+1.

I also thought the Glannon Guide was excellent.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:50 pm

ilovesf wrote:I didn't really like Chemerinsky as much as everyone else did. I felt like it did a good job filling me in on important cases, but it didn't have as much analysis as I would have liked. Then again, I read it a while ago so I might be forgetting. I'm taking Con Law 2 now, is there a better one?

Is your Con Law 2 an individual rights kind of class? I need a good supplement for individual rights/bill of rights/whatever material.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:53 pm

Jessuf wrote:

Is your Con Law 2 an individual rights kind of class? I need a good supplement for individual rights/bill of rights/whatever material.

Yeah, exactly. I still have my Chemerinsky book but I'm looking for something else too. Usually I just read supplements a couple days before the exam. What I think I'll do with Con Law 2 is read Chemerinsky throughout the semester along with the text book to help me understand cases, but read a different one at the end of the semester like I usually do.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:18 pm

Any suggestions for a survey intellectual property course? There are a couple of threads on TLS, but I didn't find anything too informative. Some suggest Emanuel's, others the E&E.

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:22 pm

by the way, tyft Jessuf

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:22 pm

Bronck wrote:Any suggestions for a survey intellectual property course? There are a couple of threads on TLS, but I didn't find anything too informative. Some suggest Emanuel's, others the E&E.

My prof wrote the Emanuel's & Crunchtime so I used them. I liked them a lot, but I guess that's because of how closely related it was to everything we learned. I found them useful though and they helped flush out a lot of things we went over in class that all went over my head.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:32 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Bronck wrote:Any suggestions for a survey intellectual property course? There are a couple of threads on TLS, but I didn't find anything too informative. Some suggest Emanuel's, others the E&E.

My prof wrote the Emanuel's & Crunchtime so I used them. I liked them a lot, but I guess that's because of how closely related it was to everything we learned. I found them useful though and they helped flush out a lot of things we went over in class that all went over my head.

Cool -- are they comparable? Or are they sufficiently different such that I should look into picking up both?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:33 pm

Bronck wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

Cool -- are they comparable? Or are they sufficiently different such that I should look into picking up both?

Emanuel's is like 10x longer and more in depth and still has practice questions. I bought both because I'm a supplements whore.

dannynoonan87

Postby dannynoonan87 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:18 pm

I've been consulting this thread....

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=194417

In a related note, I'm looking to buy a copy of Cherminsky Con Law. PM me if you can hook it up!

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:53 pm

dannynoonan87 wrote:I've been consulting this thread....

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=194417

In a related note, I'm looking to buy a copy of Cherminsky Con Law. PM me if you can hook it up!

This person has a lot of free time for reading, it appears.

Elric

Postby Elric » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:59 pm

Any suggestions for Leg Reg or International?

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:01 pm

For Leg Reg I used Mastering Statutory Interpretation....Aced the course.

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Statuto ... 1594603146

It doesn't go into too much detail for the Chevron stuff....for that I would check out some other administrative law supplements listed on the forum.

choochoo

Postby choochoo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:17 pm

I highly recommend the Glannon Guide for a Bankruptcy class.

TFR

Postby TFR » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:44 pm

sum and substance AUDIO on conlaw got me from the C range to the A range... outdated but invaluable...

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:58 pm

Just wanted to echo that chemerinsky is absolute gold IMO. Like the poster above said, it's insanely long, but I think Erwin does a great job of simplifying the material, tying it all together, and giving you the key principles/concepts that apply in each area of the law. Also felt like the torts e&e is good fwiw, but torts is 100x simpler than con law and a supplement may not be necessary at all.

uvabro

Postby uvabro » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:08 pm

cherminfskys horn book ok to replace reading in non-cherminfsky text, and to avoid reading cases? i can't understand 19th century writing in an impacting way.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:08 pm

Someone tell me something to read for remedies.

nmcdgt

Postby nmcdgt » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:15 am

Anyone have any suggestions for Evidence? Didn't see it mentioned in this or the 1L supplement thread.

waxecstatic

Postby waxecstatic » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:38 am

For evidence, I used Emanuel's and got an A-. I didn't use the textbook for studying before the final.

Myself

Postby Myself » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:25 pm

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:31 pm

ajax adonis wrote:Crim Pro recommendations?

The E&E.

uvabro wrote:cherminfskys horn book ok to replace reading in non-cherminfsky text, and to avoid reading cases? i can't understand 19th century writing in an impacting way.

Generally, yes, but obviously, it might depend on your professor.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”