Your internal gauge--how accurate?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
manofjustice

Your internal gauge--how accurate?

Postby manofjustice » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:47 pm

A) I think I did great. Got everything. C?

B) I think I did great. Got everything. These are the things I did great. A+?

C) I think I did pretty great. Could have done these things better. A?

D) I don't know what I did wrong, but I just feel like it's bad. A?

E) I don't know what I did right, and I just feel bad. C?

F) I think I did horribly. Fucked up everything. C?

These feelings after exams correlate to what outcomes for you?
Last edited by manofjustice on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeDique

Re: Your internal gauge--how accurate?

Postby LeDique » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:47 pm

I believe the methodology of this poll is flawed.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:49 pm

LeDique wrote:I believe the methodology of this poll is flawed.

Touche.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:55 pm

I don't even know what fuck you're talking about.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:58 pm

stillwater wrote:I don't even know what fuck you're talking about.

Your feelings after exams. How do they correlate to your actual exam performance.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:59 pm

The only correlation has been that when I thought an exam was bone-crushingly hard, I did well. When I thought it was easy, I got pwned.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:09 pm

I don't go into the ontopics too often but... is manofjustice an actual poster? I thought he was just a gimmick account to troll the lounge?

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:19 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:I don't go into the ontopics too often but... is manofjustice an actual poster? I thought he was just a gimmick account to troll the lounge?

I have an epic sax obama avatar, so obviously I am a real poster.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:21 pm

In general, most law students have no fucking clue. So if this is your 1L first semester, be ready for anything.

But I can make pretty educated guesses.

If the test is hard, and you feel like you did well, found a ton of issues and handled them - you did well.

If the test is easy and you feel you did well - you have no real clue. The curve will be tight, everyone will find most of the issues, and it comes down to random shit. How much analysis your prof rewards, how he gives points, some small issue you missed or found.

If the test is hard and you felt you did poorly - if you feel like you missed major issues, you didn't write a lot - expect medianish maybe a little better, maybe a little worse. It was hard for everyone, but some people will do better than you.

If the test is easy and you feel you did poorly - prepare thy anus.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:In general, most law students have no fucking clue. So if this is your 1L first semester, be ready for anything.

If the test is hard, and you feel like you did well, found a ton of issues and handled them - you did well.

If the test is easy and you feel you did well - you have no real clue. The curve will be tight, everyone will find most of the issues, and it comes down to random shit. How much analysis your prof rewards, how he gives points, some small issue you missed or found.

If the test is hard and you felt you did poorly - if you feel like you missed major issues, you didn't write a lot - expect medianish maybe a little better, maybe a little worse. It was hard for everyone, but some people will do better than you.

I am prepping my anus for 1L already.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:25 pm

hume85 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:In general, most law students have no fucking clue. So if this is your 1L first semester, be ready for anything.

Pepper thy anus

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:06 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
hume85 wrote:

Pepper thy anus

Pepper? Sounds like that could hurt.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:20 pm

How many students, on any given exam, will leave, let's say, more than 10% of the facts out of their paper. So, I figure that it's stupid to say "I got all the issues," because most of the time, you wouldn't know if you didn't. But, because most facts are only associated with a single issue, if you use all the facts in arguments on your exam, you probably got all the issues. And you'd know if you didn't use facts.

Any thoughts?

edit: using "issue" broadly to include major arguments under a general "issue"--essentially, anything that gets you a dollop of points.

gman1978

Postby gman1978 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:26 pm

looking at the 1L thread this seems true. people are freaking out, and then their grades are like A, A+, A, A, A-. I'm hoping I'm like that. I have been all over the map in how I've felt. The only people I talked to post-exams who seemed confident and happy were people who guaranteed did badly (like were clueless in class, and didn't understand in civ pro what diversity jurisdiction meant).

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:30 pm

gman1978 wrote:

looking at the 1L thread this seems true. people are freaking out, and then their grades are like A, A+, A, A, A-. I'm hoping I'm like that. I have been all over the map in how I've felt. The only people I talked to post-exams who seemed confident and happy were people who guaranteed did badly (like were clueless in class, and didn't understand in civ pro what diversity jurisdiction meant).

I hear ya. My thing was I was freaking out after the midterm and pulled an A. So, I readjusted my internal gauge. I wish I was freaking out more.

I know I did major things wrong in most of my four tests, just like I knew I did major things wrong in my midterm. I guess the difference is that instead of freaking out, I am focusing on the ways in which I improved over the midterm: more words, more arguments, more rules statements.

I would be comforted to know that at least someone walks out of an exam and says "hey, I did great," and then does great. It almost seems the opposite is always true. Sure, I know a 2L transfer who walked out of the exam an hour early and said "I did great" who pulled a C, but he's a fucktard.

I know a guy who says "I pretty much know I did great when I walk out," but he is a genius with an A+ average.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:33 pm

gman1978 wrote:looking at the 1L thread this seems true. people are freaking out, and then their grades are like A, A+, A, A, A-. I'm hoping I'm like that. I have been all over the map in how I've felt. The only people I talked to post-exams who seemed confident and happy were people who guaranteed did badly (like were clueless in class, and didn't understand in civ pro what diversity jurisdiction meant).

How is this even possible :shock:

buckythebadger

Postby buckythebadger » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:45 pm

manofjustice wrote:
gman1978 wrote:

I hear ya. My thing was I was freaking out after the midterm and pulled an A. So, I readjusted my internal gauge. I wish I was freaking out more.

I know I did major things wrong in most of my four tests, just like I knew I did major things wrong in my midterm. I guess the difference is that instead of freaking out, I am focusing on the ways in which I improved over the midterm: more words, more arguments, more rules statements.

I would be comforted to know that at least someone walks out of an exam and says "hey, I did great," and then does great. It almost seems the opposite is always true. Sure, I know a 2L transfer who walked out of the exam an hour early and said "I did great" who pulled a C, but he's a fucktard.

I know a guy who says "I pretty much know I did great when I walk out," but he is a genius with an A+ average.

I didn't leave Contracts knowing for sure that I did great, but I felt confident after the exam. I also talked to a few classmates who said they only wrote around 3000 words for the 4 hour exam, and I more than doubled that.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:51 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:I don't go into the ontopics too often but... is manofjustice an actual poster? I thought he was just a gimmick account to troll the lounge?
believe it it not, he's real

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”