when is it reasonable to email professor about next semester

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dingbat

when is it reasonable to email professor about next semester

Postby dingbat » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:58 am

Next semester starts in a week (1/14). I'd like to find out what books I need to buy, so I can order them (and not have to pay the overpriced campus bookstore prices). I'd also like to see the syllabus so I know what to read, but that's a lesser concern.

At what point is it ok to email the professors and ask for this information?

ClubberLang

Re: when is it reasonable to email professor about next semester

Postby ClubberLang » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:11 am

Whenever you want. You paid for that privilege.

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:26 am

I'd say it's probably best to not ask.

After being a RA for a professor last semester and being among faculty offices all day, I can confirm that they bitch about annoying and entitled students left and right. You don't want to be that guy. Expecting a professor to e-mail you the syllabus before it's posted because you think you're the only one clever enough to have discovered amazon.com is probably a good way to become that guy.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:30 am

Eh, just asking for information isn't being entitled/annoying. You can e-mail to ask if there's a booklist available (as long as you use common sense/manners, and don't write something like "I DESERVE to see my syllabus now!" or similar crap). (I used to teach college and had students e-mailing me about syllabi etc.) There are WAY MORE entitled/annoying things to do than ask politely about books.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:03 pm

KidStuddi wrote:I'd say it's probably best to not ask.

After being a RA for a professor last semester and being among faculty offices all day, I can confirm that they bitch about annoying and entitled students left and right. You don't want to be that guy. Expecting a professor to e-mail you the syllabus before it's posted because you think you're the only one clever enough to have discovered amazon.com is probably a good way to become that guy.

So fucking what? They make an enormous amount of money for doing very little work. I have no sympathy for professors who get annoyed by dealing with students. The students pay their salary.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Whenever bro

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:04 pm

dingbat wrote:Next semester starts in a week (1/14). I'd like to find out what books I need to buy, so I can order them (and not have to pay the overpriced campus bookstore prices). I'd also like to see the syllabus so I know what to read, but that's a lesser concern.

Can you get the ISBNs from the bookstore?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:15 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
dingbat wrote:Next semester starts in a week (1/14). I'd like to find out what books I need to buy, so I can order them (and not have to pay the overpriced campus bookstore prices). I'd also like to see the syllabus so I know what to read, but that's a lesser concern.

Can you get the ISBNs from the bookstore?

The bookstore doesn't have the list available yet - I couldn't even go in there and ask for the books if I wanted to buy them today

Postby 2014 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:10 pm

They are effectively forcing you to buy new copies which is fucked. Email them whenever you want.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:11 pm

Wait, buy the new book from the bookstore, order on Amazon, return new book to bookstore when Amazon book arrives.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:12 pm

KidStuddi wrote:I'd say it's probably best to not ask.

Fuck this. Blind grading ftw. Besides, by the end of the semester someone else will give them reason to bitch and they'll have forgotten about you.

exitoptions

Postby exitoptions » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:13 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Wait, buy the new book from the bookstore, order on Amazon, return new book to bookstore when Amazon book arrives.

Or just read the reserve copy until you get the Amazon book.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:14 pm

dingbat wrote:The bookstore doesn't have the list available yet - I couldn't even go in there and ask for the books if I wanted to buy them today

Actually, go to the bookstore and go to the back where they have it blocked off (so that they can put out all of the books for next semester.) Look for someone or politely say, "Excuse me?" Someone will appear. Have your class numbers/sections ready. They'll tell you what you need to buy. 8)

MinEMorris

Postby MinEMorris » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:20 pm

professors make six figures for working six hours a week. You should be able to ask them to personally create an audiobook version of the texts if you want.

In all seriousness, I think it's fine to ask and it's all about your manner of asking. Most professors incorporate the list of required texts for their course into the syllabus itself, which makes it possible that the professor knows exactly what texts will be used but hasn't posted the syllabus containing the list of texts because (s)he hasn't completed other parts of the syllabus. I would just write something like:

"Waddup teach,

My name is ___, and I will be a student in your ____ course during the upcoming semester. I realize that you are likely still working on a finalizing the syllabus for the course, but I was wondering if by any chance you had already decided on some or all of the required texts. I am sorry to ask when I know this information will eventually be posted, but I like to try to be proactive about assessing my budget and financial needs going into a semester. If the required texts are something you have not decided on, or you do not feel it is appropriate to disclose them to me yet, I certainly understand and apologize again for asking.

Thank you for any time you spend dealing with this inquiry. I hope you are having a wonderful break, and I look forward to taking ____ with you.

Take it sleazy,
______"

If the professor still thinks you're being a prick, then good thing grading is anonymous.

p.s. in case of an emergency, westlaw/lexis work fine for reading cases during the first couple of weeks. Takes a little more time, but it's free.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:49 pm

It's not a big deal, just email the professor. It's completely understandable that you want to buy the book online to save money but still want to be prepared for the first day of class.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:42 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
dingbat wrote:The bookstore doesn't have the list available yet - I couldn't even go in there and ask for the books if I wanted to buy them today

Actually, go to the bookstore and go to the back where they have it blocked off (so that they can put out all of the books for next semester.) Look for someone or politely say, "Excuse me?" Someone will appear. Have your class numbers/sections ready. They'll tell you what you need to buy. 8)

Then I need to make a special trip into the city. I was kinda hoping to spend this week lounging around the house in my pajamas

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:47 pm

dingbat wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

Then I need to make a special trip into the city. I was kinda hoping to spend this week lounging around the house in my pajamas

Just email your professor. It's not a big deal.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:50 pm

Last edited by stillwater on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marmot8

Postby marmot8 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:41 pm

stillwater wrote:LOL at the professor deserving any respect. Order him to turn over the list.

this is a bit over the top, no? seems reasonable to email- just be polite, and, you know, normal.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:48 pm

marmot8 wrote:just be polite, and, you know, normal.

:shock: You do realize you're talking to me, don't you?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:56 pm

I emailed my professors about supplements a few days after Christmas and we don't start school until the 22nd. Just be polite and concise and they'll be happy to help.

maf70

Postby maf70 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:02 pm

Who reads the first week?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:10 pm

maf70 wrote:Who reads the first week?

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:27 pm

Bronck wrote:I emailed my professors about supplements a few days after Christmas and we don't start school until the 22nd. Just be polite and concise and they'll be happy to help.

:shock:

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:30 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
Bronck wrote:I emailed my professors about supplements a few days after Christmas and we don't start school until the 22nd. Just be polite and concise and they'll be happy to help.

:shock:

Like fitness supplements?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”