How Hard is Securities Regulation?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TFR

How Hard is Securities Regulation?

Postby TFR » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:47 pm

Any info on this course would be appreciated. Is it really that bad?

Green Crayons

Re: How Hard is Securities Regulation?

Postby Green Crayons » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:31 pm

No, it really isn't that bad. It is heavily statutory and rules based. If you're afraid of statutes or rules, you should stay away.

Going into the class, you do not need to know much about financial markets other than the fact that they exist. Everything you need to know about the financial markets relevant to the securities laws can be picked up from the textbook or your professor.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:06 pm

Depends on your professor. The prof I'm signed up for is supposed to be a shitshow of epic proportions.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:04 pm

This is entirely based on your professor. The material itself isn't outrageously hard, but the difficulty of the class can widely very.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:05 am

How important is this class? If one is working as an SA at a NY firm, is this a must take before the internship? I've heard bad things about this class at my school...

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:44 am

crit_racer wrote:How important is this class? If one is working as an SA at a NY firm, is this a must take before the internship? I've heard bad things about this class at my school...

It'd help you be vaguely more familiar with things you're working on, but no, not necessary.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:59 pm

Thanks. *drops SecReg in favor of Law & Basket Weaving*

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:30 pm

5ky wrote:
crit_racer wrote:How important is this class? If one is working as an SA at a NY firm, is this a must take before the internship? I've heard bad things about this class at my school...

It'd help you be vaguely more familiar with things you're working on, but no, not necessary.

Depends on your practice group. It's helpful for most major practices and indispensable for many (capital markets, white collar crime/gov investigations, asset management, NY litigation, etc.) If you plan on staying in New York, the number of practice areas where SecReg comes up outnumber those where it doesn't. Take it now or as a 3L, but take it.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”