Grades after securing SA position

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Mce252

Grades after securing SA position

Postby Mce252 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:46 pm

If you have SA positions lined up and don't plan on clerking, are there any compelling reasons to continue gunning for the top of the class?

dingbat

Re: Grades after securing SA position

Postby dingbat » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:48 pm

Mce252 wrote:If you have SA positions lined up and don't plan on clerking, are there any compelling reasons to continue gunning for the top of the class?

So you don't give them an excuse to cut you
Also, apparently some lateral opportunities require good grades

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:23 pm

The overwhelming evidence is that for the overwhelming majority of people your grades won't matter at all after securing an SA position (and getting an offer, though the offer itself isn't hanging on your grades nearly as much as your work product and the firm's finances).

You can be as paranoid as you want that I'm wrong about that, and you can successfully come up with counterexamples, but... life is short.

Fun Fact: To my knowledge, nobody knows my 2L or 3L law school grades. I checked my 1L grades, got a summer job, then stopped checking. My school doesn't rank and to my knowledge my employer never checked, so unless somebody in my school's admin got curious, I have Schrodinger's GPA.

I'll holler if it winds up being an issue when/if I lateral. I'm doubting it, though.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:24 pm

thesealocust wrote:The overwhelming evidence is that for the overwhelming majority of people your grades won't matter at all after securing an SA position (and getting an offer, though the offer itself isn't hanging on your grades nearly as much as your work product and the firm's finances).

You can be as paranoid as you want that I'm wrong about that, and you can successfully come up with counterexamples, but... life is short.

Fun Fact: To my knowledge, nobody knows my 2L or 3L law school grades. I checked my 1L grades, got a summer job, then stopped checking. My school doesn't rank and to my knowledge my employer never checked, so unless somebody in my school's admin got curious, I have Schrodinger's GPA.

I'll holler if it winds up being an issue when/if I lateral. I'm doubting it, though.

Haven't gotten first semester 2L grades, but am hoping you are correct with full knowledge that you probably are because, well, you're never wrong.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:50 pm

Nah I'm full of shit plenty of the time, I just post a lot and like the sound of my own... keryboard?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:18 am

dingbat wrote:
Mce252 wrote:If you have SA positions lined up and don't plan on clerking, are there any compelling reasons to continue gunning for the top of the class?

No 2Ls/3Ls are really interested in hearing job advice from a 1L.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:34 am

thesealocust wrote:The overwhelming evidence is that for the overwhelming majority of people your grades won't matter at all after securing an SA position (and getting an offer, though the offer itself isn't hanging on your grades nearly as much as your work product and the firm's finances).

Dude didn't you know GDC no offers for grades bro

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:34 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
dingbat wrote:

No 2Ls/3Ls are really interested in hearing job advice from a 1L.

But he was in finance bro so he has VALUABLE and WORTHWHILE contributions.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:26 pm

thesealocust wrote:Nah I'm full of shit plenty of the time, I just post a lot and like the sound of my own... keryboard?

Damn it. Back to the ulcer-inducing panic. :lol:

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”