Bar Expenses Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
wildhaggis
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:47 pm

Bar Expenses Thread

Postby wildhaggis » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:01 pm

Figured people might be interested in one of these. If we gather the different options in one place, fellow forum members may find it useful. If not, feel free to let it die.

Anyway, how is everyone paying for the initial bar exam expenses, like the prep course deposit and bar registration fee? Generally these can approach $1,000, so what is everyone doing to make sure they're covered without taking away rent money?

For people without jobs at reimbursing firms, how are you planning on paying for the full amount of the prep course, or for living expenses over the summer?

If you have a firm job that reimburses you, when do you expect to hear from your firm about a possible stipend/advance?

User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Bar Expenses Thread

Postby tstyler98 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:49 pm

wildhaggis wrote:Figured people might be interested in one of these. If we gather the different options in one place, fellow forum members may find it useful. If not, feel free to let it die.

Anyway, how is everyone paying for the initial bar exam expenses, like the prep course deposit and bar registration fee? Generally these can approach $1,000, so what is everyone doing to make sure they're covered without taking away rent money?

For people without jobs at reimbursing firms, how are you planning on paying for the full amount of the prep course, or for living expenses over the summer?

If you have a firm job that reimburses you, when do you expect to hear from your firm about a possible stipend/advance?


I took out extra money during this fall and and am taking a little extra this spring to cover summer expenses. I'd rather take it out through the federal loans rather than having to take out a private loan. I'm a Kaplan rep, so the course is free for me.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Bar Expenses Thread

Postby kalvano » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:25 pm

I took out some extra cash as well, for living expenses, bar prep, etc. If I don't need to use it, great, I can just send it back. But I'd rather not have to worry about my mortgage while prepping for the bar.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: Bar Expenses Thread

Postby zeth006 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:03 pm

tstyler98 wrote:
wildhaggis wrote:Figured people might be interested in one of these. If we gather the different options in one place, fellow forum members may find it useful. If not, feel free to let it die.

Anyway, how is everyone paying for the initial bar exam expenses, like the prep course deposit and bar registration fee? Generally these can approach $1,000, so what is everyone doing to make sure they're covered without taking away rent money?

For people without jobs at reimbursing firms, how are you planning on paying for the full amount of the prep course, or for living expenses over the summer?

If you have a firm job that reimburses you, when do you expect to hear from your firm about a possible stipend/advance?


I took out extra money during this fall and and am taking a little extra this spring to cover summer expenses. I'd rather take it out through the federal loans rather than having to take out a private loan. I'm a Kaplan rep, so the course is free for me.


Did you do this through your financial aid office? Isn't there a limit to how much you can take out, or did you come in with a lot of financial aid?

User avatar
tstyler98
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Bar Expenses Thread

Postby tstyler98 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:21 am

zeth006 wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:
wildhaggis wrote:Figured people might be interested in one of these. If we gather the different options in one place, fellow forum members may find it useful. If not, feel free to let it die.

Anyway, how is everyone paying for the initial bar exam expenses, like the prep course deposit and bar registration fee? Generally these can approach $1,000, so what is everyone doing to make sure they're covered without taking away rent money?

For people without jobs at reimbursing firms, how are you planning on paying for the full amount of the prep course, or for living expenses over the summer?

If you have a firm job that reimburses you, when do you expect to hear from your firm about a possible stipend/advance?


I took out extra money during this fall and and am taking a little extra this spring to cover summer expenses. I'd rather take it out through the federal loans rather than having to take out a private loan. I'm a Kaplan rep, so the course is free for me.


Did you do this through your financial aid office? Isn't there a limit to how much you can take out, or did you come in with a lot of financial aid?


I had a scholarship that covered a lot of my tuition, so I didn't need to use the full extent of my loans. If you still have extra federal loan money, just tell them (the financial aid office) that you need to take out additional money this spring. If you don't, look into whether taking out a private loan during the school year would be a better deal than taking out a "bar" loan (a loan specifically to help pay for the bar and the time studying). I haven't looked into it, so I don't know what their interest rates are compared to a regular private loan.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LawHammer and 10 guests