2L spring course selection

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Which class should I drop?

Evidence
18%
Business Associations
9%
Advanced Legal Research
23%
Information Privacy
50%

Total votes: 22

Kiwi917

2L spring course selection

Postby Kiwi917 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:56 pm

I am over-enrolled for 2L spring and need to drop a class. I would really appreciate any advice, especially from 3Ls or alumni. My 2L SA likely will involve a mix of litigation and transactional assignments, and I am still relatively undecided about practice areas.

Advanced Legal Research - have heard that this is one of the most practical and useful classes to take before the summer.
Evidence - conflicts with the research class, but I'm worried it might also be important for the summer.
Business Associations - hesitant to drop this because I do not have much business background yet, and the material seems interesting.
Information Privacy - interested in the subject, taught by a great professor, and it's a smaller class size than Evidence or Business Associations (I had almost all large doctrinal classes last semester and want to get some variety).
Advanced Legal Writing - not willing to drop this one.
Journals - not an option to drop, but I can sign up for credit if I drop something else.

I have taken con law, IP intro, tax I, accounting, wills & trusts, and the standard 1L classes. Are there other core classes I should be considering instead of the five above?

Thanks in advance!

sparty99

Re: 2L spring course selection

Postby sparty99 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:08 am

Who cares what you take. None of these classes are important. Take classes where you will get good grades or will improve your writing skills.

Kiwi917

Postby Kiwi917 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:20 am

sparty99 wrote:Who cares what you take. None of these classes are important. Take classes where you will get good grades or will improve your writing skills.

I know no one cares what I take, but 99% of this site is devoted to asking or giving advice on things no one cares about. The research and writing classes are to improve my skills, and I expect my chances of getting good grades are about equal for all of the classes.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:01 am

Kiwi917 wrote:
sparty99 wrote:Who cares what you take. None of these classes are important. Take classes where you will get good grades or will improve your writing skills.

I know no one cares what I take, but 99% of this site is devoted to asking or giving advice on things no one cares about. The research and writing classes are to improve my skills, and I expect my chances of getting good grades are about equal for all of the classes.
Take BA and evidence just so you know the key terms. Everything else doesn't matter. Even those two don't really matter.

Kiwi917

Postby Kiwi917 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:16 am

philosoraptor wrote:
Kiwi917 wrote:

Take BA and evidence just so you know the key terms. Everything else doesn't matter. Even those two don't really matter.

Thanks! I'm leaning toward dropping the research class because even though it would be useful, my research skills are fine and I can always practice them on my own (or take the class next year). I can muddle my way through any sort of research this summer, but scrambling to understand the basics of evidence seems more stressful.

MinEMorris

Postby MinEMorris » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:45 am

I think all of your classes are likely to assist you at least a little in your summer. The doctrinal classes may not make you ready to get cracking on your memo, but they at least familiarize you with key concepts for lit/transactional work and give you solid rules of thumb regarding what sources of law you will need to look to to figure out whatever it is you're working on. The skills courses are probably the closest you'll get to actually preparing for the summer.

The only outlier in your list is the information privacy class. AFAIK it's unlikely to be relevant to anything you'll be doing, and considering it's a doctrinal course it's probably going to eat up a good chunk of your time. Seems to me that this is the obvious one to drop. If you really want to take it and are reluctant to drop it, then drop advanced legal research and just try to make an effort to work on your legal research skills a little bit on your own time. Also, if you didn't do as well as you hoped last semester and are worried about your grades this semester, and information privacy is not curved (which it sounds like it might not be), then that might also be a reason to drop advanced legal research instead.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:19 pm

I'd drop Evidence for difficulty/curve reasons.

However, Information Privacy seems pretty useless unless you're IP.

Kiwi917

Postby Kiwi917 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:24 pm

Thanks, everyone! At this point, I think I'll end up dropping info privacy and adding admin law. Since evidence and the research class meet at the same time, I'll most likely take evidence and postpone research.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”