Law Review/Secondary E-Board

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Broseidon

Re: Law Review/Secondary E-Board

Postby Broseidon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:11 am

Pretty sure they're going to have to basically force one of us to take the EIC position.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:13 pm

So I am on LR, which oversees LR plus an annual crim pro encyclopedia. Every 3L becomes an editor, some of LR, some of the crim pro bible. I was thinking of going for a notes editor and am meeting some dudes this week and next to get more info. However, the crim pro bible editors seem to have a lighter load.

Question: should I aim for one of the crim pro editor positions? Pro: less time, more spread out. Cons: not the actual LR journal, I'm not too into crim pro

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:11 pm

Unless it's EIC, what you do won't matter, so do the least amount of work possible.

Broseidon

Postby Broseidon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:13 pm

kalvano wrote:Unless it's EIC, what you do won't matter, so do the least amount of work possible.

I wish we had more gunners. We all want the minimal work positions.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:15 pm

Does anyone remember where the thread was discussing the utility of EIC compared to the grade hit in the context of clerking? Can't find it.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:48 pm

Broseidon wrote:
kalvano wrote:Unless it's EIC, what you do won't matter, so do the least amount of work possible.

I wish we had more gunners. We all want the minimal work positions.

I love this, it's a sign of a TTT journal, where you have to apply for something. Mine was exactly that way. The secret is to apply for EIC. You wont get it.

tycoga8118

Postby tycoga8118 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:20 pm

Question: Elections are coming up. I want eic position pretty badly. I am highly interested in clerking and am on a secondary journal at a lower t14. Any advice on how to actually get the eic position? (My note probably isn't going to get published if that is relevant)

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:26 pm

tycoga8118 wrote:Question: Elections are coming up. I want eic position pretty badly. I am highly interested in clerking and am on a secondary journal at a lower t14. Any advice on how to actually get the eic position? (My note probably isn't going to get published if that is relevant)

Who votes? I think (if I had really cared) I could have gunned for the 3L vote and won that way. The 2L votes are pretty much set and you can't do much to change them, but the 3Ls have no idea who to vote for and will just ask someone. If you can get to those few people who most 3Ls will ask, you win. But this is irrelevant if they don't vote.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:30 pm

tycoga8118 wrote:Question: Elections are coming up. I want eic position pretty badly. I am highly interested in clerking and am on a secondary journal at a lower t14. Any advice on how to actually get the eic position? (My note probably isn't going to get published if that is relevant)

Are you on LR? I know EIC candidates have to write "position papers" to be distributed to everyone, then there is a town hall at some point where editors and staff members grill them.

With that said, it sounds like a popularity contest still. I only recognized two names on a list of seven or so.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:34 pm

Jessuf wrote:

Are you on LR? I know EIC candidates have to write "position papers" to be distributed to everyone, then there is a town hall at some point where editors and staff members grill them.

With that said, it sounds like a popularity contest still. I only recognized two names on a list of seven or so.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:37 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
Jessuf wrote:

Eh, this wasn't true at all here. The most popular two got third and fourth (out of four). The girl who won is by far the least social and least known. I also go to a lot smaller school than Jessuf, fwiw.

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:38 pm

skw wrote:Does anyone know how a V50 firm might view a 2L SA law review staffer who elects not to pursue the editorial board? My situation is somewhat unique in that I have 12 years of executive sales experience in my SA firm's specific location and vertical and was recruited mainly based on this (plus class rank and LR staff position). Being older, I am hoping to be pregnant 3L (possibly delivering mid 3L) and simply don't think I want or realistically can give LR board the time it requires. Is this a big deal? My gut is it won't matter given my personal situation (assuming I perform as they expect this summer), but it has been a challenge to get real advice on this. Thanks for your thoughts.

My V15 never asked/mentioned/cared about my 3L position on LR.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:39 pm

tfer2222 wrote:
skw wrote:Does anyone know how a V50 firm might view a 2L SA law review staffer who elects not to pursue the editorial board? My situation is somewhat unique in that I have 12 years of executive sales experience in my SA firm's specific location and vertical and was recruited mainly based on this (plus class rank and LR staff position). Being older, I am hoping to be pregnant 3L (possibly delivering mid 3L) and simply don't think I want or realistically can give LR board the time it requires. Is this a big deal? My gut is it won't matter given my personal situation (assuming I perform as they expect this summer), but it has been a challenge to get real advice on this. Thanks for your thoughts.

3L LR positions are mainly for clerkship gunners. HTH.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:40 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
Jessuf wrote:

sorry, im a tard.

elections are in 1.5 weeks, so i will report back on whether the most popular person wins. the current eic is intimidatingly accomplished, so maybe whoever is most accomplished will win. i don't care who wins as long as the school starts allowing credit for journal next year.

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:41 pm

LeDique wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:

3L LR positions are mainly for clerkship gunners. HTH.

good point. Also, the firm did seem excited to hear about a couple of my co-clerks getting EIC, which adds to the point that EIC is the only real impressive (sounding) position.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:42 pm

Jessuf wrote:i don't care who wins as long as the school starts allowing credit for journal next year.

Oh god I think I might have not done law review if I didn't get a credit.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:45 pm

at my school, for non-eic positions, the newly elected eic selects who goes where. however, they look at performance reviews and solicit advice from current editors. the idea behind soliciting advice from current editors is that staffers are supposed to be schmoozing the current editors right now, chatting them up, showing undying love for being an articles editor or whatever, etc. so it's less of a popularity contest than i thought, but it is still a bit annoying trying to find time to meet with a million editors. and i will probably still end up getting plopped somewhere random.

i am on a PI track, so it all seems so pointless. however, a small desire to possibly clerk forces me to consider some sort of impressive sounding editor position.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:46 pm

I'm currently gunning for the position where almost all the work is this semester/this summer. Voting results are tomorrow. I'll probably just not do e-board if I don't get it.

tycoga8118

Postby tycoga8118 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:31 pm

Yeah, both 2l and 3l's vote, but 3l's vote counts twice as much. The problem is that we have never had a meeting or really done all that much for the journal. I do not know even one other 2l members. I know a couple of the 3l's because I wrote my note in the fall. We have to write a statement of interest though, but I have no clue what to say...

target

Postby target » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:30 am

seriously, most people in my journal are kissing up editors hard.

Broseidon

Postby Broseidon » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:50 am

I never made friends with the editors on my LR to suck up to them because most are twats. When you're giving people a hard time about handing in a note draft an hour after the deadline, you can go eat a dick.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:37 pm

I just noticed that our LR have some weird gender affirmative action thing going. The top 3 positions for the past 3 years have all been women, and the rest of the e-board positions have been disproportionately female. Which, given how LR e-boards are normally overwhelmingly male, is really fucking weird.

target

Postby target » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:47 pm

LeDique wrote:I'm currently gunning for the position where almost all the work is this semester/this summer. Voting results are tomorrow. I'll probably just not do e-board if I don't get it.

Did the results come out for you yet?

Itinerant

Postby Itinerant » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:46 pm

tycoga8118 wrote:Yeah, both 2l and 3l's vote, but 3l's vote counts twice as much. The problem is that we have never had a meeting or really done all that much for the journal. I do not know even one other 2l members. I know a couple of the 3l's because I wrote my note in the fall. We have to write a statement of interest though, but I have no clue what to say...

Aside from the bolded, this is what's going on with my journal too.

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:04 am

LeDique wrote:I just noticed that our LR have some weird gender affirmative action thing going. The top 3 positions for the past 3 years have all been women, and the rest of the e-board positions have been disproportionately female. Which, given how LR e-boards are normally overwhelmingly male, is really fucking weird.

Totally the opposite at my school. This year, every EIC of every journal in my school was a white male.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”