Law Review/Secondary E-Board

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jessuf

Re: Law Review/Secondary E-Board

Postby jessuf » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:19 pm

target wrote:I feel like this thread needs a poll.

I thought of having a poll "Which editorial position requires the least amount of time and effort?" However, every journal has different titles for stuff, so I didn't bother.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:26 pm

Jessuf wrote:
target wrote:I feel like this thread needs a poll.

I thought of having a poll "Which editorial position requires the least amount of time and effort?" However, every journal has different titles for stuff, so I didn't bother.

Yeah, that's why I assumed it didn't have a poll.

Meeting with the EIC this afternoon to find out exactly how much work it is and stuff.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:54 pm

LOL, apparently 6 people are running for EIC.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:53 pm

LeDique wrote:LOL, apparently 6 people are running for EIC.

Do your campaign speech in jorts!

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:01 pm

Jessuf wrote:
LeDique wrote:LOL, apparently 6 people are running for EIC.

Do your campaign speech in jorts!

We don't do campaign speeches, just statements of interest. Maybe I should attach photos to my statement of interest. Or in lieu of it.

Broseidon

Postby Broseidon » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:16 pm

We have to interview call-back style with a quorum of the e-board.

Why do I want to be a note editor? Because it sounds good and requires the least amount of work, that's why.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:17 pm

Broseidon wrote:We have to interview call-back style with a quorum of the e-board.

Why do I want to be a note editor? Because it sounds good and requires the least amount of work, that's why.

Seriously, I have no idea what I'm expected to write. "I'm the gunniest gunner that ever gunned!"

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:48 pm

Higher echelon editorial posts had a deadline of yesterday. Let that come and go. Taking the associate editor gig guaranteed to all 2L staffers in good standing our LR's bylaws. Now if they get desperate for people to do LR work they can talk to the effing board/EIC gunners. Leave me be :mrgreen:

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:16 pm

I have some workshop next weekend to learn about the different positions, then rank what I want. I think I will gun for notes and comments editor.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:05 pm

Does anyone know how the decision-making process for the higher board spots actually happens on your journals? It seems like it would be political, and a lot of people on my journal have been kissing ass all year.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:13 pm

I actually really like LR... Seems to be a recurring theme for me to become more invested in my extracurricular activities than curricular ones. Oops. Still not gunning for EIC, though.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:47 pm

Lwoods wrote:I actually really like LR... Seems to be a recurring theme for me to become more invested in my extracurricular activities than curricular ones. Oops. Still not gunning for EIC, though.

I was until I got jerb where I write legal documents that had nowhere near the amount of CMOS or BB dogma... Now I do the work but am very apathetic.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:51 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:Does anyone know how the decision-making process for the higher board spots actually happens on your journals? It seems like it would be political, and a lot of people on my journal have been kissing ass all year.

I have no idea to be honest. If this has been going on with our law review, I've completely missed it and I have no chance. Whatever, EIC takes me like an hour to write a statement of interest. If I get it, cool. If not, casenote editor it is.

Broseidon

Postby Broseidon » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:58 pm

We pretty much have to do some type of editor position. I plan on going for the one with the least amount work.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:23 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:Does anyone know how the decision-making process for the higher board spots actually happens on your journals? It seems like it would be political, and a lot of people on my journal have been kissing ass all year.

I think it varies a lot according to journal, but it is a bit political/who you know. It's not precisely popularity - because I just didn't know enough people to win that way! - but I got to know the EIC and one board member through a work thing and another board member through non-LS stuff, and am pretty sure I got my position in part because at least a couple of them vouched for me. Now, they vouched for me in part because I had a ton of relevant pre-LS experience, and in talking with them about what the position entailed and why I wanted it, I must have convinced them I would be good at it. I know two people in the year below me who were absolutely transparent about gunning for EIC and they talked to all kinds of people/kissed up about it, and neither came close to getting it. But if no one knows you or what you have to offer, that can be tough.

Logistically, our elections were just plain secret ballots - anyone who wanted to run could, and the person with the most votes won. But people did tend to ask the current board members who they thought would be a good replacement for their position, and there was some politicking, and the candidates (informally) endorsed by board members tended to win. That said, I don't think you have to kiss ass all year, if you can talk to enough people before the elections and get across why you'd be good at the job. At least on my journal, people really did want to select those who'd be the best at the job, because it's a lot of work and if you have someone who's going to slack or not be good at the job you do NOT want to have to deal with that.

(It also may or may not be obvious by now that I was a gung-ho LR gunner nerd, so make of that all what you will... )

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:47 pm

At my school, anyone can run for EIC, and the whole LR votes. Then, the newly appointed EIC places all of the 2Ls into editor positions for 3L year. The 2Ls can rank certain positions, but nothing is guaranteed. Sounds like a big popularity contest where the people who are "in" with the new EIC get their pick and everyone else gets dogshit.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:55 pm

Gorki wrote:
Lwoods wrote:I actually really like LR... Seems to be a recurring theme for me to become more invested in my extracurricular activities than curricular ones. Oops. Still not gunning for EIC, though.

I was until I got jerb where I write legal documents that had nowhere near the amount of CMOS or BB dogma... Now I do the work but am very apathetic.

Meh; even when I was working, I was pretty active on the "best plae I work" team. I jut like being involved in side things, I guess.

Broseidon

Postby Broseidon » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:56 pm

Jessuf wrote:

At my school, anyone can run for EIC, and the whole LR votes. Then, the newly appointed EIC places all of the 2Ls into editor positions for 3L year. The 2Ls can rank certain positions, but nothing is guaranteed. Sounds like a big popularity contest where the people who are "in" with the new EIC get their pick and everyone else gets dogshit.

That sounds like it is nothing but a popularity contest.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:06 pm

Broseidon wrote:
Jessuf wrote:

That sounds like it is nothing but a popularity contest.

And I know maybe 5-7 people on LR? Most of whom are 3Ls, so that won't help me win any popularity contest.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:21 pm

Jessuf wrote:

Wow, I had no idea some journals did that. I didn't specify, but at my school, everyone runs for all the positions - first we hold the EIC election, then the managing editor, etc. So it's still got a popularity contest element to it, but at least you don't get one person determining who does what - that would suck. (Also, our board is only about 1/2 the number of 3Ls, so you don't have to have a board position if you don't want.)

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:38 pm

Jessuf wrote:

That's how ours is as well. This year's 3Ls did a really good job, I think. It's not perfect, but it works well as long as you get a reasonable person in as EIC. It probably helps that ours is a smaller school, too, so we all are at least acquainted with each other.

I think this way lends itself to a more cohesive board, too, again provided there's a reasonable EIC. My sorority held elections for positions one by one (starting at president and going down), and that was awful. It got a little better when they started slating, but was still dramaful and time consuming.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:41 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Jessuf wrote:

Wow, I had no idea some journals did that. I didn't specify, but at my school, everyone runs for all the positions - first we hold the EIC election, then the managing editor, etc. So it's still got a popularity contest element to it, but at least you don't get one person determining who does what - that would suck. (Also, our board is only about 1/2 the number of 3Ls, so you don't have to have a board position if you don't want.)

This is how ours works. I think It's better.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:22 am

Our school the EIC and E-Board of 3Ls interview and select their successors. Very dynastic in that way. 2Ls don't get to do shit besides apply.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:16 am

In the FIGHT OF MY LIFE, not to make my Statement of Interest for EIC a bunch of jokes about how I have a ton of leadership and decision making experience from years of being a fantasy football commissioner.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:10 am

Everyone who is running for a e-board position now has started including a picture of themselves in their statement of interest since the girl who won EIC included one in hers. It is hilarious. One girl included a picture of her and a dude from Jersey Shore. Cannot stop laughing.

I am now struggling to write a statement of interest for casenote editor that is not openly mocking everyone for their absurd statements of interest.
Last edited by LeDique on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”