Law Review/Secondary E-Board

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jessuf

Law Review/Secondary E-Board

Postby jessuf » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:48 pm

Here we discuss e-board positions for law review/journals.

Specifically, my school forces every 3L to take an editor position. The EIC technically assigns everyone to a spot, but you're allowed to indicate a preference. I would like a position that requires the least amount of work as possible but doesn't look totally dumb on my resume like "EIC E-mails Editor."

EvilClinton

Re: Law Review/Secondary E-Board

Postby EvilClinton » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:52 pm

Jessuf wrote:Here we discuss e-board positions for law review/journals.

Specifically, my school forces every 3L to take an editor position. The EIC technically assigns everyone to a spot, but you're allowed to indicate a preference. I would like a position that requires the least amount of work as possible but doesn't look totally dumb on my resume like "EIC E-mails Editor."

Editor of Student Affairs here. I buy the snacks for the office. I make a Costco run 5 times a semester and life is good.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:53 pm

Good thread. I've been trying to figure out how hard to gun for an e-board position and have no idea which position(s) to go for. EIC seems like far too much work for not enough pay off. I think I'd like the position that deals with selecting articles and substantive edits (forget what we call this), but I've really got no idea.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:55 pm

I would honestly go for the one with the least weakest sounding name. My school does not force us to be on LR in 3L, but you automatically become an Associate Editor. We have EIC --> Exec Editor --> Editor --> Associate Editor --> Staffers (2Ls).

I am taking the associate editor spot since you just have to say thats what you want. We have to apply for anything above that, and my lack of enthusiasm would show too much. I have heard EIC and Board posts require a zealous love of LR if you do not want to regret your decision within 2 weeks. All but Associate Editors get a stipend at my school for their work, but its not a lot of money considering it can be at times a 40 hour a week job for damn near a year.

Also, anyone know if employers give a fuck what position you have 3L? I know a few firms in my market look at it like EIC >>>> Any editor spot >>>>> Quitting.... If thats the case, its easy enough to say you applied for the 1 fucking EIC spot and did not get it...

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:22 pm

If I had TIME, I would like to be an articles editor because I like Bluebooking/grammar, but my addiction to laziness has me considering things that involve coordinating catering or uploading articles to the website. I've given up on trying to find what looks good to employers because they didn't even care that I was on LR in the first place.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:36 pm

Jessuf wrote:If I had TIME, I would like to be an articles editor because I like Bluebooking/grammar, but my addiction to laziness has me considering things that involve coordinating catering or uploading articles to the website. I've given up on trying to find what looks good to employers because they didn't even care that I was on LR in the first place.

See I am not sure on this. I think its a ticket to an interview in some cases. I was barely in top 25% and with LR was getting interviews to places where my friends in the top 15% were being snubbed. I think for some firms LR is just mandatory for the interview (unless your at a higher ranked school), so once your in the interview the LR credential itself is not a game changer.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:42 pm

tyft thread. Can someone please explain the reasons to gun for ed. board? I'm aware it helps on clerkship apps. Anything else?

edit: also realize there are several threads on this subject, but in TLS fashion they tend to be very negative toward ed board utility.
Last edited by Cade McNown on Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:42 pm

Gorki wrote:
Jessuf wrote:If I had TIME, I would like to be an articles editor because I like Bluebooking/grammar, but my addiction to laziness has me considering things that involve coordinating catering or uploading articles to the website. I've given up on trying to find what looks good to employers because they didn't even care that I was on LR in the first place.

See I am not sure on this. I think its a ticket to an interview in some cases. I was barely in top 25% and with LR was getting interviews to places where my friends in the top 15% were being snubbed. I think for some firms LR is just mandatory for the interview (unless your at a higher ranked school), so once your in the interview the LR credential itself is not a game changer.

This.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:48 pm

LeDique wrote:
Gorki wrote:

This.

My school's OCI is 100% lottery with no preselect, and no one seemed to care about law review in the screeners.

I mean, I guess this was different for mass mail interviews I got, but most of the ones I got were pre-LR write on results.

Anywho, I kind of would like to gun for clerkships depending on what my grades for fall semester are like, so if they are good, maybe I will be suicidal and gun for a better editor position than Toilet Bowl Cleaning Editor.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:53 pm

There's a relatively large amount of anecdotal evidence of people not getting jobs/interviews because the interviewer "couldn't check the LR box" for whatever that's worth. My OCI was entirely pre-select so I think LR was a big part of why I and others got chosen, but I don't remember it ever coming up much in interviews.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:32 pm

All current 3Ls, how did you acquire the Costco Runner-in-Chief posts? I would not mind this at all. All non-board members I know of end up doing just more cite checks or review the 2L staffer notes.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:13 pm

Gorki wrote:All current 3Ls, how did you acquire the Costco Runner-in-Chief posts? I would not mind this at all. All non-board members I know of end up doing just more cite checks or review the 2L staffer notes.

On my journal, the woman who did it emailed the EIC and said "I'm a mother of 2 and live 5 mins from a Costco." That was that.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:13 pm

Go for something vague-sounding and not very time-consuming. I'm a Notes Editor, which means I read and review 2L casenotes and comments. It takes about 12 hours a semester, but Notes Editor sounds good on a resume.

EvilClinton

Postby EvilClinton » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:15 pm

Gorki wrote:All current 3Ls, how did you acquire the Costco Runner-in-Chief posts? I would not mind this at all. All non-board members I know of end up doing just more cite checks or review the 2L staffer notes.

I was elected. I ran on a platform of guaranteeing consistently stocked diet coke and goldfish crackers.

HTH

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:27 pm

kalvano wrote:Go for something vague-sounding and not very time-consuming. I'm a Notes Editor, which means I read and review 2L casenotes and comments. It takes about 12 hours a semester, but Notes Editor sounds good on a resume.

Hmm. This sounds appealing.

I calculated an articles editor does about 100 hours a semester, so 12 hours a semester sounds much, much nicer.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:51 pm

tagging because we got an e-mail about positions yesterday and I don't know what I want to do.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:09 pm

I've decided to gun for the top (EIC & Executive Editor) for dat prefftige, and assume I won't get it. If I fail, the student note editor job sounds like the easiest and I will go for that.

Actually fuck that, EIC will give me far too much stress and anxiety for like no return. Executive editor sounds really important and like a comparatively small responsibility.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:21 pm

At ND, I would say Note and Submission Editors do the least, and their title is not terrible.

skw

Postby skw » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:49 pm

Does anyone know how a V50 firm might view a 2L SA law review staffer who elects not to pursue the editorial board? My situation is somewhat unique in that I have 12 years of executive sales experience in my SA firm's specific location and vertical and was recruited mainly based on this (plus class rank and LR staff position). Being older, I am hoping to be pregnant 3L (possibly delivering mid 3L) and simply don't think I want or realistically can give LR board the time it requires. Is this a big deal? My gut is it won't matter given my personal situation (assuming I perform as they expect this summer), but it has been a challenge to get real advice on this. Thanks for your thoughts.

Broseidon

Postby Broseidon » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:37 pm

Goddamnit I forgot anyone can read this part of TLS.
Last edited by Broseidon on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:48 pm

skw wrote:Does anyone know how a V50 firm might view a 2L SA law review staffer who elects not to pursue the editorial board? My situation is somewhat unique in that I have 12 years of executive sales experience in my SA firm's specific location and vertical and was recruited mainly based on this (plus class rank and LR staff position). Being older, I am hoping to be pregnant 3L (possibly delivering mid 3L) and simply don't think I want or realistically can give LR board the time it requires. Is this a big deal? My gut is it won't matter given my personal situation (assuming I perform as they expect this summer), but it has been a challenge to get real advice on this. Thanks for your thoughts.

What's the offer rate like at your firm? If you keep good grades and more importantly have good product over the summer, I doubt they'd care. How would they know anyway without specifically asking you?

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:49 pm

If I get notes and comments editor, I can't wait to vote for my note submission for publication.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:57 pm

EC of LR or bust bros. Nothing else is that impressive, and plenty of it is shitty as fuck.

skw

Postby skw » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:32 pm

Jessuf wrote:
skw wrote:Does anyone know how a V50 firm might view a 2L SA law review staffer who elects not to pursue the editorial board? My situation is somewhat unique in that I have 12 years of executive sales experience in my SA firm's specific location and vertical and was recruited mainly based on this (plus class rank and LR staff position). Being older, I am hoping to be pregnant 3L (possibly delivering mid 3L) and simply don't think I want or realistically can give LR board the time it requires. Is this a big deal? My gut is it won't matter given my personal situation (assuming I perform as they expect this summer), but it has been a challenge to get real advice on this. Thanks for your thoughts.

What's the offer rate like at your firm? If you keep good grades and more importantly have good product over the summer, I doubt they'd care. How would they know anyway without specifically asking you?

Offer rate 100% for last 4 years. I think they'll probably ask for an updated resume at the end of the summer (my 1L SA firm required this of both 1L and 2L SAs). So it would be apparent when they reviewed my resume after 2L summer that I opted out of Board. I'm leaning toward skipping it. Heavily leaning that way...

Thanks for your thoughts.

target

Postby target » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:37 pm

I feel like this thread needs a poll.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”