(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Ave

Re: Clapping for professors?

Postby Ave » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:38 pm

rad lulz wrote:
kalvano wrote:It's stupid and I hate it.

Yeah, don't do it

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:45 pm

drmguy wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
kalvano wrote:It's stupid and I hate it.

I would be fine with it if we had the choice and people actually exercised their choice. I'm still bitter from clapping for a terrible professor last year.

I just sit there with my arms folded

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:46 pm

kazzmania wrote:Clapping = manners. simple

I don't clap for the workers at McDonalds who make my my tasty nugs

And I like McDonalds a lot more than any class

Though sometimes I will ring the Arby's bell for good service

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:17 pm

rad lulz wrote:
kazzmania wrote:Clapping = manners. simple

I don't clap for the workers at McDonalds who make my my tasty nugs

And I like McDonalds a lot more than any class

Though sometimes I will ring the Arby's bell for good service

Wow. I want to visit an Arby's just to ring a bell.

I do not want to clap for a prof tomorrow. So I'll leave early.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:59 pm

I clap even for the worst professors. But only because everyone claps and I don't want to stand out.

Myself

Postby Myself » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:18 pm

drmguy wrote:Last semester one of my classes clapped four separate times for a professor. He started off the last class saying that we shouldn't clap after class because we still had a review session the following week and everyone clapped after the announcement and after class. He started off the review session by saying how strange last week was and everyone clapped after that announcement and after class as well. He was great though. He deserved even more clapping than we gave him.

Why would you clap after an announcement? That makes no sense to me. Was it a particularly stirring announcement?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:26 pm

I intend to drink discretely from my sippy cup in class during my 3L year and clap whenever I feel like it. Hopefully I won't be alone.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:29 pm

ajax adonis wrote:
drmguy wrote:Last semester one of my classes clapped four separate times for a professor. He started off the last class saying that we shouldn't clap after class because we still had a review session the following week and everyone clapped after the announcement and after class. He started off the review session by saying how strange last week was and everyone clapped after that announcement and after class as well. He was great though. He deserved even more clapping than we gave him.

Why would you clap after an announcement? That makes no sense to me. Was it a particularly stirring announcement?

He was simply talking about how clapping at the end of class is awkward and to make it less awkward we should definitely not clap at the end of that class. He's an amazing professor. Maybe just mentioning the word clap got everyone to clap and cheer for him.

Pizon

Postby Pizon » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:43 pm

To me, the clap is like the tip at a restaurant. I go in with every intention to give you one, but if you really mess up, you can kiss it goodbye.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:48 pm

The relative sincerity and intensity of the clap probably has more impact on a professor than any of the dumbass class evaluations we filled out at the end of every class.

soj

Postby soj » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:50 pm

waaay late, but
lifestooquick wrote:Yeah, I always find it odd. Except for in Dressler's class. Dude earned it. He made me cry during the last class (live life day by day and do what you love kinda speech).

as in THE dressler, god of crim supplements? yeah, he deserves it.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:14 pm

I'd clap for Dressler and Chemerinsky before he decided to bilk the California taxpayers.

Pope Francis

Postby Pope Francis » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:04 am

Tom Joad wrote:I did it for my good profs and I watched them happily smirk jewishly as they walked out in delight and then it made me smirk jewishly because I knew I had made their day and then I was happy. I am a giver, people.

What, exactly, does the bolded mean?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:10 am

Pope Francis wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:I did it for my good profs and I watched them happily smirk jewishly as they walked out in delight and then it made me smirk jewishly because I knew I had made their day and then I was happy. I am a giver, people.

Don't act like you don't do it from time to time. Sometimes the feeling inside is just too good to deny.

Pope Francis

Postby Pope Francis » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:02 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
Pope Francis wrote:

Don't act like you don't do it from time to time. Sometimes the feeling inside is just too good to deny.

Make discriminatory comments?

SouthernSoul

Postby SouthernSoul » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:35 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:Clap with your hands for below par and par and twerk for the good ones dude. As a rule i make my booty clap for exactly one professor a semester

LOL

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:54 am

The clap is so awkward, because you know you are obligated to do it, so you wait for that one person to start. And then there is usually that one person trying to suck up who claps extra loud and extra long.

Another

Postby Another » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:44 pm

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:53 pm

We clap for one or two professors a semester. They generally deserve it. The others we don't.

I don't give a crap one way or the other about this tradition. It's just something we do, I guess. No sense in getting worked up over it.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”