Can someone give me an overview of the 1l job search

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
swishin and dishin

Can someone give me an overview of the 1l job search

Postby swishin and dishin » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:16 pm

Thanks to those who respond.

I have been all over Symplicity and PSJD but am not really certain about what type of law I would like to practice so finding the right positions to apply to has not been easy. I also feel like I am missing out on a ton of other job postings by just not knowing where to go.

Anyone in a similar situation - if yes, how are you handling the job search... any other sites that are helpful?

Is the goal to apply to as many as possible and just hope one sticks or apply only to areas of law that you are interested in pursuing further down the line.

Thanks again and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

manofjustice

Re: Can someone give me an overview of the 1l job search

Postby manofjustice » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:24 pm

Bump for this. Merry Christmas and thanks for responses!

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:18 pm

swishin and dishin wrote:Thanks to those who respond.

I have been all over Symplicity and PSJD but am not really certain about what type of law I would like to practice so finding the right positions to apply to has not been easy. I also feel like I am missing out on a ton of other job postings by just not knowing where to go.

Anyone in a similar situation - if yes, how are you handling the job search... any other sites that are helpful?

Is the goal to apply to as many as possible and just hope one sticks or apply only to areas of law that you are interested in pursuing further down the line.

Mass mail literally every firm and nonprofit. Apply to every job on symplicity. Firms know the pickings are slim during 1L summer and even shitlaw summer usually entails sufficient "legal experience" versus the people who study abroad or just take summer class/RA.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:16 pm

Gorki wrote:

Mass mail literally every firm and nonprofit. Apply to every job on symplicity. Firms know the pickings are slim during 1L summer and even shitlaw summer usually entails sufficient "legal experience" versus the people who study abroad or just take summer class/RA.

Any suggested deadline? When should these go out?

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:48 pm

mr.hands wrote:
Gorki wrote:

Any suggested deadline? When should these go out?

ASAP is ideal, but otherwise as soon as you get your grades.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:01 pm

Did you end up going to Fordham? Do I know you?

marmot8

Postby marmot8 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:47 am

Gorki wrote:

This. Also to consider, apply where you think you'll want to do OCI, especially if it is not your home market. Firms will want to see some sort of connection to where you want to end up- a 1L job is a good start, if nothing else.

tigershark

Postby tigershark » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:03 pm

Regarding mass mailing firms: what are you all saying in the body of the email? what about the subject line? are you including a resume too or just asking if they are taking 1Ls?

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:06 pm

tigershark wrote:Regarding mass mailing firms: what are you all saying in the body of the email? what about the subject line? are you including a resume too or just asking if they are taking 1Ls?

+1

also, does it make sense to do this without fall grades (still waiting here)....?

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:07 pm

tigershark wrote:Regarding mass mailing firms: what are you all saying in the body of the email? what about the subject line? are you including a resume too or just asking if they are taking 1Ls?

I attached a separate cover letter .pdf and resume .pdf to each email. Cover letter was a standard form with a different firm paragraph and 1-2 different sentences about "Why X firm." Before grades, include a sentence in the closing paragraph that you will followup with a copy of your transcript immediately after you receive grades. The idea is to show employer you are on the ball and aren't just waiting for them to tell you what to do.

In the email message itself you can say "I am a first-year law student at X. . ." hat way they know right away you are a 1L without you having to send an awkward "you take 1Ls?" email.

EDIT: Also just as a heads up, do not overlook nonprofits, city attorney, county attorney, DA, or public defenders offices for 1L summer if the firm search goes south. Not many 1Ls will get firm jobs, BUT if you can make a huge list of firms and email them now, SAVE ALL INFO TO A SPREADSHEET. If you do this you will have saved yourself a TON of OCI work (assuming you want to apply to all these firms again for OCI, and why wouldn't you?)... But, I did my 1L through 2 nonprofit gigs and then worked as a paid RA from July on (still working for a prof right now).

tigershark

Postby tigershark » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:53 pm

Gorki wrote:

I attached a separate cover letter .pdf and resume .pdf to each email. Cover letter was a standard form with a different firm paragraph and 1-2 different sentences about "Why X firm." Before grades, include a sentence in the closing paragraph that you will followup with a copy of your transcript immediately after you receive grades. The idea is to show employer you are on the ball and aren't just waiting for them to tell you what to do.

In the email message itself you can say "I am a first-year law student at X. . ." hat way they know right away you are a 1L without you having to send an awkward "you take 1Ls?" email.

EDIT: Also just as a heads up, do not overlook nonprofits, city attorney, county attorney, DA, or public defenders offices for 1L summer if the firm search goes south. Not many 1Ls will get firm jobs, BUT if you can make a huge list of firms and email them now, SAVE ALL INFO TO A SPREADSHEET. If you do this you will have saved yourself a TON of OCI work (assuming you want to apply to all these firms again for OCI, and why wouldn't you?)... But, I did my 1L through 2 nonprofit gigs and then worked as a paid RA from July on (still working for a prof right now).

Fantastic information. Thank you!!

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:08 pm

I just want to stress actually using simplicity. There were many paid firm positions on mine when I was a 1L. I had friends who were still without plans in May, but hadn't even bothered looking at simplicity. There are generally some great opportunities on there, and my school continued to add positions basically through the end of the semester.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:26 am

JenDarby wrote:I just want to stress actually using simplicity. There were many paid firm positions on mine when I was a 1L. I had friends who were still without plans in May, but hadn't even bothered looking at simplicity. There are generally some great opportunities on there, and my school continued to add positions basically through the end of the semester.

To second that, I go to the same school, and there's plenty of stuff on symplicity, paid and unpaid

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”