why buy casebooks when we have westlaw/lexis?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
swtlilsoni

why buy casebooks when we have westlaw/lexis?

Postby swtlilsoni » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:38 am

Can I just not buy the casebook and read the cases from westlaw/lexis instead? I know there's sometimes commentary but couldn't I just buy a supplement which will give me what I need to know? So the combination of cases from westlaw/lexis + supplement should be good right?

jump_man

Re: why buy casebooks when we have westlaw/lexis?

Postby jump_man » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:47 am

Most textbooks make major edits and redactions to the cases included in the casebook. If you read the full text on Lexis/WestLaw, you might focus on the wrong issues, and you will certainly waste hundreds of hours that could have been saved had you read the edited version.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:48 am

Depends on the class, professor and type of exams.

barestin

Postby barestin » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:54 am

You don't need to spend money on casebooks or look up the cases on westlaw or lexis. Reading is a waste of time when it comes down to preparing for exams. Just make friends with 2Ls and 3Ls who did well in the classes you are taking and bum outlines and class scripts from them, which should highlight the most relevant facts, holdings, and rationales from the cases that you will need to get through lectures in case you get cold-called.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:57 am

jump_man wrote:Most textbooks make major edits and redactions to the cases included in the casebook. If you read the full text on Lexis/WestLaw, you might focus on the wrong issues, and you will certainly waste hundreds of hours that could have been saved had you read the edited version.

^This, judges are long winded fucks, you will be reading so much more even without the notes by trying to read the cases on westlaw. Buying an outdated casebook on the cheap however and using westlaw for the cases missing would probably work. I wouldn't recommend it, especially for first year, but it would be doable.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:03 am

Birdnals wrote:
jump_man wrote:Most textbooks make major edits and redactions to the cases included in the casebook. If you read the full text on Lexis/WestLaw, you might focus on the wrong issues, and you will certainly waste hundreds of hours that could have been saved had you read the edited version.

^This, judges are long winded fucks, you will be reading so much more even without the notes by trying to read the cases on westlaw. Buying an outdated casebook on the cheap however and using westlaw for the cases missing would probably work. I wouldn't recommend it, especially for first year, but it would be doable.

+1.

While reading is probably pointless, if you're going to do it, the casebook cases are often literally 5-10% the length of the actual decisions. They also focus on specific things, so a case really about issue X might be edited so that you read it for its discussion of issue Y.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:21 am

+1 to what others have said, but here's another strategy if you're looking to save:

As a 2L and 3L, I often buy the previous version of the book, especially if its just a few years old. They generally have 95% of the material of the current version, and they're way, way cheaper. As a 3L I almost never read to begin with, but if I do need to read and there's a new case that isn't in the previous version, I can just WL/Lexis it if I need to.

Definitely don't recommend this for 1Ls though.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:15 am

The notes/questions after the cases I read first. They help tell me why the case is in the book and why I am reading it.

Myself

Postby Myself » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:42 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:48 am

How are you even going to know what cases to read without the casebook? Second of all, this is a horrible idea because a 60 page decision may be edited down to 2-6 pages. Moreover, sometimes you will read the decision because for a specific paragraph that is relevant to the topic in class. How will you get this from a huge case?

If you want to save money buy an old edition (they are usually $20 or less because old editions have a very limited market for them) and go to your library for the stuff the old edition is missing. The library should have a copy of the new textbook on hold. But using westlaw is definitely not a good idea.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:44 pm

romothesavior wrote:+1 to what others have said, but here's another strategy if you're looking to save:

As a 2L and 3L, I often buy the previous version of the book, especially if its just a few years old. They generally have 95% of the material of the current version, and they're way, way cheaper. As a 3L I almost never read to begin with, but if I do need to read and there's a new case that isn't in the previous version, I can just WL/Lexis it if I need to.

Woah, when did you become a mod?

* eyes romo suspiciously *

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:09 pm

thesealocust wrote:
romothesavior wrote:+1 to what others have said, but here's another strategy if you're looking to save:

Haha I just noticed that too. Impressive.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:42 pm

I recommend this for 1Ls too. Reading Twombly via Lexis during week 2 of Civ Pro builds character.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:46 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

Haha I just noticed that too. Impressive.

Romo is a great choice.

But LOL at moderating at an internet prelaw message board, or any message board ever. It's slight more shameful than megapoasting, though less than marry a chick you met there.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”