Secondary Journal Write-On Competition? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Extension_Cord

Silver

Secondary Journal Write-On Competition?

Post by Extension_Cord » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:15 pm

Long story short, I'm a Spring 2013 transfer and am not eligible to participate in the Law Review write-on competition because I'm a Spring transfer. My new school has two journals I'm eligible to write on for; International and Business Journals. Is it worth it to participate in the write-on competition for the secondary journals?

If I get invited, I'm sure I will hate being on the journal. I will also hate writing for the competition during my Christmas break. If I were eligible for the Law Review, I would surely participate.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Re: Secondary Journal Write-On Competition?

Post by BarbellDreams » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:05 pm

Idk, a journal is nice to throw on a resume, but take it from someone who is on a secondary, the difference between LR and any other journal is greater than anything you could imagine. In m experience, there is the kids who made LR, and everyone else. And they are not close when it comes to OCI or job placement in general.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:17 pm

What school or school range? How are your job prospects?

I think of the journal on the resume as similar to a good SAT score when you are applying to Harvard: not having it looks bad, mainly because everyone has one, but having it doesn't seem to give much boost.

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:21 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:What school or school range? How are your job prospects?

I think of the journal on the resume as similar to a good SAT score when you are applying to Harvard: not having it looks bad, mainly because everyone has one, but having it doesn't seem to give much boost.
FSU. Im a transfer so I dont have any grades at this school yet.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:27 am

Do you have a job?

If so, count your lucky stars that you don't have to do a journal.

If not, you probably should. It's not a big boost, but you need everything you can get (and not to be overlooked because somebody thinks you have a thin resume).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”