Worried.... academically dismissed after transferring! Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lawstress

New

Worried.... academically dismissed after transferring!

Post by lawstress » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:56 am

I feel so screwed right now! Hoping you guys can help answer some questions about the situation i'm in. I transferred from a T4 school to a barley T1 school after completing only 21 credits. I did well at the T4 school and always had the desire to transfer back to my home states Law school. I felt like it would be much better on the resume and a lot cheaper. So i just finished my first semester and have gotten 1 of 4 grades back. The grade i got back was for Evidence and a "D". It blows my mind how i could have gotten this grade. I must have did really horrible on the MC's. There were 63 MC's and 7 essay and it did feel like the hardest exam i have ever taken. There were tons of double negative, best answer choices, A-E choices... etc. But i just didn't feel like i did anything close to that bad. My new school has a policy that if you have below a C average after your first semester you get dismissed with no question asked. I hope this isn't the case but if my other grades come back poor as well i want to know what my options are. Can i go Directly back to my previous Law school where i academically succeeded? I herd that you must wait two years per the ABA to attend Law school again after being dismissed. Does that still apply here? Would me going back to my previous school be an exception to this rule? Any advice on whether i would stand a chance at convincing my new school to give me another semester to pull my grades up? Would i stand a chance at getting a Prof to adjust my grade to help my not get dismissed? (Offer extra work or whatever it would take)

You guys are probably also wondering how i could go from top of my class then transfer and be in this situation, right? Well its a pile of things. First let me say there is no excuses and i simply screwed up big. However, if i had to examine what made me screw up this bad, i would say the following were factors which took place during the this semester. 1. My Grandmother died 2. Friend died while serving over in Afghanistan 3. Serious marital problems, like my wife refusing to move and live at my new school with me. (I moved alone and without my children) 4. First semester without meeting regularly with a tutor. (Couldn't find any at my new school) 5. I simply didn't work as hard as i did at my previous school which allowed me to the opportunity to transfer. (Cut corners on readings and such) 6. My old school was strictly black letter law and my new school is really policy and theory based in their teaching methods. 7. My new school meets multiple time during a single week for class and really felt like busy work. My old school was just once per week which left me feeling like i had a tremendous amount of time to study during the week. PLEASE note I'm really putting these factors out their in the hopes they may help another transfer student in the future make some better choices than i did and if needed recognize that if you got to much going on in your personal life simple take a semester off! It not worth "THIS" situation. (If i can only survive i know i can succeed academically next semester. I have learned a lot abut my new school and what i need to do to succeed.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice, and being so long winded.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:00 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Gold

Re: Worried.... academically dismissed after transferring!

Post by dingbat » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:38 am

Let me start by saying I feel bad for you
lawstress wrote:1. My Grandmother died 2. Friend died while serving over in Afghanistan
This sucks, and I'm sorry
lawstress wrote:3. Serious marital problems, like my wife refusing to move and live at my new school with me. (I moved alone and without my children)
you mean you didn't discuss it with her first? It sucks, but, every aspect of my top-law-schools.com has been in discussion with my wife. I was limited in which schools to apply to and where to attend and I would never move without consulting her
lawstress wrote:4. First semester without meeting regularly with a tutor. (Couldn't find any at my new school)
I don't understand. Did you pay for a tutor or did your previous school supply you one? I don't know anyone in my law school who has a tutor
lawstress wrote:5. I simply didn't work as hard as i did at my previous school which allowed me to the opportunity to transfer. (Cut corners on readings and such)
I have no words for this
lawstress wrote:6. My old school was strictly black letter law and my new school is really policy and theory based in their teaching methods.
I want to quote this every time someone argues that the quality of education at a TTT is just as good
lawstress wrote:7. My new school meets multiple time during a single week for class and really felt like busy work. My old school was just once per week which left me feeling like i had a tremendous amount of time to study during the week.
WTF? At my school, each credit corresponds to approximately 1 hour of class time per week, so my class time is about 15 or 16 hours per week. It takes us that long to go through the material. I can't imagine only meeting once per week

It sounds like part of it was that the TTT school really was horrendous, part of it is unfortunate circumstances, and part of it your own fault. Now that I've said my peace, time to be helpful

What you need to do is talk to someone at the school in an official capacity and find out what you can do to avoid getting dismissed. Then figure out how to improve your grades and study habits to get back on track

lawstress

New

Post by lawstress » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:23 am

Yes i discussed and had everything planned out and agreed before the ANYTHING was finalized. My wife simple just changed her mind and said i wouldn't be able to assist with the kids and she was staying with her mother and would be attending the local community College there. The school i transferred to was in our home state and 4 hours away from our home town. My previous school was seven states away. (Made a lot of sense to get back to my home state.)

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:26 am

lawstress wrote:Yes i discussed and had everything planned out and agreed before the ANYTHING was finalized. My wife simple just changed her mind and said i wouldn't be able to assist with the kids and she was staying with her mother and would be attending the local community College there. The school i transferred to was in our home state and 4 hours away from our home town. My previous school was seven states away. (Made a lot of sense to get back to my home state.)
ouch. Seriously, though, find someone friendly at the school and ask them about it. No one here can give you any useful advice, but if you find the right person, maybe they can make an exception for you (I know of people who did this successfully at my UG)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawstress

New

Post by lawstress » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:51 am

dingbat wrote:
lawstress wrote:Yes i discussed and had everything planned out and agreed before the ANYTHING was finalized. My wife simple just changed her mind and said i wouldn't be able to assist with the kids and she was staying with her mother and would be attending the local community College there. The school i transferred to was in our home state and 4 hours away from our home town. My previous school was seven states away. (Made a lot of sense to get back to my home state.)
ouch. Seriously, though, find someone friendly at the school and ask them about it. No one here can give you any useful advice, but if you find the right person, maybe they can make an exception for you (I know of people who did this successfully at my UG)

Your right and that's my plan as soon as the school office opens back up. Found my grade out at 4:55 by email on Friday and as my luck is they will be gone for the holidays all next week. Was really just hoping that someone on here knew the policy about not returning to law school for two years giving my facts? I'm looking into the ABA now to try and locate the answer. Even though its not ideal it would make feel better knowing i have the option to return to my previous Law school if all else fails. Would be really devastating to have to take two years off and lose all my good grades and credit i have already received. I'm a year and half away from possible graduation if i can just make it to next term.

lbeezy

Gold

Post by lbeezy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:54 am

dingbat wrote:
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”