I got a C, how f***** am I ?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
gnuwheels

Re: I got a C, how f***** am I ?

Postby gnuwheels » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:32 am

andythefir wrote: Biglaw is probably an uphill climb

So is it safe to say then that ever getting anything lower than a B- makes Biglaw extremely unlikely? I feel like this should be made more obvious to incoming 1Ls

MinEMorris

Postby MinEMorris » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:26 am

So is it safe to say then that ever getting anything lower than a B- makes Biglaw extremely unlikely? I feel like this should be made more obvious to incoming 1Ls

No. As has been discussed in this thread, even to biglaw a bunch of As/ one or two B+s and a C likely won't hurt you. Obviously that C was not the result of your stupidity/incompetence, but because of some sort of anomaly with the exam/course. All lawyers went to law school, they know what it's like to have one course/exam/professor that just blindsides you. Your overall GPA/Rank> everything else in regards to grades.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:10 am

gnuwheels wrote:
andythefir wrote: Biglaw is probably an uphill climb

At a T2 or lower, absolutely. But then, the chance of getting biglaw at one of those schools is really small to begin with

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:58 pm

MinEMorris wrote:

No. As has been discussed in this thread, even to biglaw a bunch of As/ one or two B+s and a C likely won't hurt you. Obviously that C was not the result of your stupidity/incompetence, but because of some sort of anomaly with the exam/course. All lawyers went to law school, they know what it's like to have one course/exam/professor that just blindsides you. Your overall GPA/Rank> everything else in regards to grades.

Well, it's more the devastating effect that such a grade would have on your overall GPA/rank. This assumes a B+ curve, which is common at most of the schools where biglaw is a realistic possibility. If your curve is like a C median, clearly you're fine if this is your only mediocre grade.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:03 pm

This is why you don't go to TTT's. One fuckup can ruin your life.

macattaq

Postby macattaq » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:08 pm

You're fine. I know a partner at Perkins Coie who got a C- in civil procedure. Just figure out what you did wrong, and learn from it. If it comes up in an interview, talk about the lesson(s) you've learned, and don't harp on the negative.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:15 pm

Without specific knowledge as to your school's placement, hard to say shit. Lower T1 to T2? It hurts, but it isn't game ending.

existenz

Postby existenz » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:58 pm

macattaq wrote:You're fine. I know a partner at Perkins Coie who got a C- in civil procedure. Just figure out what you did wrong, and learn from it. If it comes up in an interview, talk about the lesson(s) you've learned, and don't harp on the negative.

I know partners who went to unaccredited TTTTT schools. It doesn't mean it's a good idea. OP needs to talk to the prof and get top grades next semester so he can laugh off this grade.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:16 pm

existenz wrote:
macattaq wrote:You're fine. I know a partner at Perkins Coie who got a C- in civil procedure. Just figure out what you did wrong, and learn from it. If it comes up in an interview, talk about the lesson(s) you've learned, and don't harp on the negative.

I know partners who went to unaccredited TTTTT schools. It doesn't mean it's a good idea. OP needs to talk to the prof and get top grades next semester so he can laugh off this grade.

People ITT and ITE in general need to realize its not the same legal market as 5 years ago, let alone as when the Boomers were getting out of LS in the 1970s. When you look to see how many Summers and or new junior associates come from non-top schools, the picture is clearer and grim.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:51 pm

Gorki wrote:
existenz wrote:

People ITT and ITE in general need to realize its not the same legal market as 5 years ago, let alone as when the Boomers were getting out of LS in the 1970s. When you look to see how many Summers and or new junior associates come from non-top schools, the picture is clearer and grim.

+1

andythefir

Postby andythefir » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:14 am

This thread keeps blurring the advice between "I got a C, how %$#@ed am I" and "I go to a second tier school, how @#$%ed am I."
Several people have outlier grades, and we have all said that it's the cumulative average that matters. If someone with firsthand knowledge could speak to other experiences in a second tier school with an outlier grade that would be more helpful.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:31 am

I know several people at SMU with a bad grade somewhere along the way who overall had good standing in the class and got something through OCI.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:06 am

I'm dying waiting for my last grade.

lawschoolsuccess

Postby lawschoolsuccess » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:16 pm

noleknight16 wrote:Got an A in property, A- in legal writing, still waiting on my grade in Torts and a C in civil procedure. Wtf. It was a hard test but I didnt realize how bad I truly did. I was thinking B- or B but not below median. If I get an A in torts im looking at a 3.4 which is about top 25% or so. I could certainly recover though with a great 2nd semester

Im scared to death of this C. Is it going to prevent me from finding any sunmer work? I just dont understand how I get an A on property and a C in civ pro :(

I had a terrible first semester. My dad died three weeks into school and I missed about a week of class. I couldn't catch up with all the assignments and readings. After my first semester of exams, I was near bottom of the class. It is by far the worst experience of my life.

But did I find clerkships? Yes. Did I find summer jobs? Yes. As a matter of fact, I worked the last 2.5 years of law school as a law clerk for a local firm. The boss didn't care about my grades. He just wanted to see my research and writing skills.

Does it get better? Yes. Don't give up. You can do this.

If you need help on anything specific, feel free to PM me. Best of luck to you.

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:50 am

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:24 am

ajax adonis wrote:

I know partners who do IP with History undergrad majors. Different time.

fuckin shitboomers

Green Crayons

Postby Green Crayons » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:32 am

"Verily" is the response I assume everyone else in this thread was searching for.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:28 pm

Grade came back. B in Torts.

Leaves me with:

A in Property
B in Torts
C in Civil Procedure
A- in Legal Writing

3.1 GPA. No idea what class % that would be yet :/

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:29 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:07 pm

ajax adonis wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:Grade came back. B in Torts.

Leaves me with:

A in Property
B in Torts
C in Civil Procedure
A- in Legal Writing

3.1 GPA. No idea what class % that would be yet :/

I think I read somewhere that you dropped out. Congrats on doing what others are too scared to do.

Yep. Cut the cord yesterday. Subleased my apartment. It was hard to do but I know it's for the best

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”