2Ls and 3Ls anyone been docked because of spelling?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
swimmer11

2Ls and 3Ls anyone been docked because of spelling?

Postby swimmer11 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:37 pm

I had a three part race horse exam: multiple choice, policy, and 14 page issue spotter that was all to be completed within 3 hours. I probably misspelled anywhere from 4000-5000 of the 8000 words I wrote.

On practice tests I gave myself time at the end to spell check but it just did not happen on the actual exam.

She has said she has never docked for spelling before but I am concerned that she might not have ever seen as many misspellings as I had.

Anyone been severely docked for spelling?

A. Nony Mouse

Re: 2Ls and 3Ls anyone been docked because of spelling?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:41 pm

I have had numerous professors tell me that how well-written an exam is doesn't matter. As long as the prof could tell what word you meant, they won't care. You don't get docked for spelling. (Unless you get some oddball prof who tells you ahead of time they will dock for spelling - but you'd know that already.)

schweitziro

Postby schweitziro » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:15 pm

After looking at hundreds of model student practice answers over the past 2 years. I have come to two conclusions: 1. Writing ability has 0 impact on the grade; and 2) The superfluous content (like history or which judge penned an opinion) which gets underlined has no affect on the grade either. They really all have objective grading schemes where they award points if you hit that specific rule/issue and that is all they award points for.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:17 pm

Professors that care about spelling will generally tell you up front. Otherwise, unless it is completely illegible, you'll be fine.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:58 pm

IMO, If you think you can get or lose points for spelling, then you clearly have no idea how law school exams are graded. Which is probably a much worse sign than having made a lot of typos.

(That feels more assholish of me than usual, but what can you do?)

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:41 am

I'd like to see a copy of this "14 page fact pattern."

thesealocust is tcr per usual, although the professor is going to think you're a dumbass.

Saw your thread over at xo too, you should probably relax a little.

swimmer11

Postby swimmer11 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:29 pm

5ky wrote:I'd like to see a copy of this "14 page fact pattern."

thesealocust is tcr per usual, although the professor is going to think you're a dumbass.

Saw your thread over at xo too, you should probably relax a little.

Haha, yeah I probably should calm down. I just tried to follow what I have learned form LEEWS, GTM, and other sources to take the exam the best I could. I organized everything, had no clustered paragraphs, new premise new paragraph, I just never anticipated that I would make as many spelling errors as I did (or that she would cut the time down by 15 minutes and increase the issue spotter by 5 pages).

Issue Spotter -> 5 page background story (big windup), 6 pages of when everything happens, and then around 3 pages of specific damages for each injured party (roughly a paragraph long and within each damage paragraph there were other facts that gave rise to other causes of action) and then 5 little questions she wanted answered based on claims in the fact pattern.

It was nuts.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”