NY Character and Fitness Question

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
brockw82

NY Character and Fitness Question

Postby brockw82 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:46 pm

Hello all, it has been awhile since I have posted. I recently passed the NY Bar and am now going through the admissions process. I am starting to get worried because today I received the second request for information from the attorney from the admissions office.

This contains sensitive information, but I'm willing to post it for advice.

Here are the issues they are asked about in late Niovember.

First, I had a judgment against me in 2009 for $1,000 in favor of my landlord for rent.

Second, I have had multiple speeding tickets within the past 10 years (4-5 tickets, only one is on my abstract still). My license was suspended back in 2008 for having too many points on my license and I ended up getting ANOTHER ticket after that for unlicensed operation which is a misdemeanor. I pled this down, but I still revealed what the original charge was.

Third, in 2011, I was pulled over because my license expired and ticketed for unlicensed operation, expired registration, insurance lapse and speeding.

I am the first one to admit that I have a horrible driving record.

Today I received a letter asking for all speeding and other traffic violations, the charges, dates, disposition and the name/locality of the court.

I know this isn't good, but does anybody think this is grounds for denial? In terms of the judgment and other credit debt, I sent them agreements with my creditors for monthly payments.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I.P. Daly

Re: NY Character and Fitness Question

Postby I.P. Daly » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:14 pm

No idea, but you may want to run a search on West/Lexis to get some background on the types of C&F denials/issues that have been challenged in court (a sense of the issues that result in C&F denials).

dannynoonan87

Postby dannynoonan87 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:24 pm

So you're in the process of becoming a lawyer but are seeking free legal advice from a forum full of law students who aren't yet in the position that you have reached.

My advice? Do what every single person in my character & fitness hypo's did.....

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:10 am

The year before the bar - speeding, without a driving license, in a car with expired tags, and no insurance? And it's not the first unlicensed operation? Trolololol

Postby 09042014 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:43 am

Randomnumbers wrote:The year before the bar - speeding, without a driving license, in a car with expired tags, and no insurance? And it's not the first unlicensed operation? Trolololol

Maybe a troll, but if its not, I seriously doubt it'll keep him from practicing. He may be a shitty driver, but lawyering is driving. Murders and shit pass C&F. Cracker jack traffic shit aren't going to be a problem if he discloses.

existenz

Postby existenz » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:46 pm

Just give them all the info they are asking for. You'll be fine.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”