I failed out of law school last year and I'm still sad Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
macnut2012

New

Re: I failed out of law school last year and I'm still sad

Post by macnut2012 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:14 pm

mr.hands wrote:
typ3 wrote:
mr.hands wrote:Even if you did "make the cut" and avoid dismissal, you still wouldn't have been able to find a job. Over 50% of law school grads can't get jobs. Those in the bottom 10% of their classes at TT, TTT, and TTTT don't even stand a chance.

Getting kicked out literally saved you tens of thousands of dollars, if not hundreds of thousands. (That isn't supposed to sound cruel, it's the honest truth). This is a blessing in disguise
False. Those at the bottom 10% without connections don't stand a chance. Those with connections go onto work at V10 firms or cushy in-house positions. True story. Friend of mine is graduating bottom 10% at a T30 school. She has offers over HYS grads because her family started a now publicly traded bank with a few billion in assets. Her family still sits on the board and her father is the CEO. Biglaw is fighting over getting her because it means a huge book of business and connections. The average person doesn't stand a chance. Welcome to America.
Really? Are you serious? This is about playing the odds. Your story is entirely unhelpful and unrepresentative of what 99% of people can expect.

Ok i'll amend what i said: Aside from some guy you know who has a job because his family started a bank with a "few billion in assets", people in the bottom 10% don't stand a chance
I have seen the same thing as the previous poster. I knew a girl who was in the bottom 10% of my 1L class, but through connections, got coveted internships with judges and all kinds of things. The world work, no matter what profession, often boils down to connections. Reality is that most people don't have these kinds of connections, but if you do, it can get you a job.
Last edited by macnut2012 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

macnut2012

New

Post by macnut2012 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:17 pm

ajax adonis wrote:Move on. If you went to a school that gives it's students 2.3s and fails them out, it's probably not a very good school. And if you were struggling to get a 2.3 at a not-very-good school, then your career prospects would have been even more dismal than they are now. Consider it a blessing that you did bad enough early on so that you were weeded out and you didn't have to take on the extra debt and waste two more years pursuing a dead end. I would go to CC, pick up some practical or technical skills, and try to build a career from there. You're 30, so I'm guessing you worked before going to law school; maybe you can pursue whatever you did before. Just leave anything with the consecutive letters of l, a, and w.
The thing is that I've worked SO many different types of jobs, but didn't really enjoy any of them. But you're completely right! It is a blessing in disguise. The school is decent. No it's not harvard, but there are career prospects where I went. I hated my expierence there though :? ... so not a good fit.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:18 pm

put law school behind you, put TLS behind you, and while you have a job, go search for another

macnut2012

New

Post by macnut2012 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:19 pm

nebula666 wrote:I didn't think you could actually fail out of law school. Can you honestly say you worked hard? What is "working hard" to you?
:roll:

macnut2012

New

Post by macnut2012 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:24 pm

Lasers wrote:what school did you go to?
I would rather not say on a public forum. But beware of any schools that require a 2.3.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

macnut2012

New

Post by macnut2012 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:25 pm

fl0w wrote:
macnut2012 wrote:
fl0w wrote:are you young? If so, learn a language. Take classes for a year in the language while you are working you have to pay bills first. Then go to that country and do immersion.

This is just a suggestion I'm making because I'm currently studying law for a semester in china and at least here, if you are an expat with great language skills (you could even be illiterate, just able to speak and understand) then you can make serious bank. And this is just doing random odd jobs. Promoters, english teachers etc. And you can have a blast.

There's a lot to experience out there in the world buddy. Not going to law school has given you 3 years of your live back (minus however long you were enrolled). Take that as a gift. Life is a story, never defined entirely by what happens on a single page.
I'm going to be 30 next week. So I'm not that young. :shock:
30 is still young. I also happen to be turning 30 in January. And here I am living in China. I spent the last year learning Chinese (during law school) and decided to go for it. The only thing stoping you from doing anything is yourself. Well... and here sometimes the Chinese Government. But that's another story.
:) That's cool! What a great way to spend a year or semester.

macnut2012

New

Post by macnut2012 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:30 pm

northwood wrote:put law school behind you, put TLS behind you, and while you have a job, go search for another
Agreed. Thanks for the sound advice everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”