How are you going to plan your winter break?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Raiden
Posts: 333
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:11 pm

How are you going to plan your winter break?

Postby Raiden » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:33 am

Besides family trips, I was thinking about hitting up a trial judge I know, he likes having interns.

User avatar
LetsGoLAW
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: How are you going to plan your winter break?

Postby LetsGoLAW » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:24 am

Finishing my casebooks for next semester.

MinEMorris
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:26 am

Re: How are you going to plan your winter break?

Postby MinEMorris » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:43 am

If you haven't near-memorized at least two old outlines for each of your next-semester classes by the end of the break, you might as well send your resumes out to starbucks locations instead of trial judges.

Just kidding. Have a wonderful break 1Ls! You don't have to do jack except refresh your grade page every thirty seconds. Though it is nice to make a solid push on summer employment so you dont have to bother with that crap during spring semester.

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12695
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: How are you going to plan your winter break?

Postby LeDique » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:44 am

MinEMorris wrote: Have a wonderful break 1Ls! You don't have to do jack except refresh your grade page every thirty seconds. Though it is nice to make a solid push on summer employment so you dont have to bother with that crap during spring semester.


Seriously, this.

User avatar
LetsGoLAW
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: How are you going to plan your winter break?

Postby LetsGoLAW » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:16 pm

LeDique wrote:
MinEMorris wrote: Have a wonderful break 1Ls! You don't have to do jack except refresh your grade page every thirty seconds. Though it is nice to make a solid push on summer employment so you dont have to bother with that crap during spring semester.


Seriously, this.


Shitlaw firm making ~$1000-$1200 a week or unpaid internship with a judge? Shitlaw firm's only ~30 hours a week, though. 15 minute commute.

Gorki
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: How are you going to plan your winter break?

Postby Gorki » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:20 pm

LetsGoLAW wrote:
LeDique wrote:
MinEMorris wrote: Have a wonderful break 1Ls! You don't have to do jack except refresh your grade page every thirty seconds. Though it is nice to make a solid push on summer employment so you dont have to bother with that crap during spring semester.


Seriously, this.


Shitlaw firm making ~$1000-$1200 a week or unpaid internship with a judge? Shitlaw firm's only ~30 hours a week, though. 15 minute commute.

Take the money and run. Employers will be more impressed your employer paid you so much and therefore trusted you, rather than working for free. $1k a week is better than most non-biglawl grads will be doing, and I hesitate to call such pay shitlaw.

User avatar
LetsGoLAW
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: How are you going to plan your winter break?

Postby LetsGoLAW » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:21 pm

Gorki wrote:
LetsGoLAW wrote:
LeDique wrote:
MinEMorris wrote: Have a wonderful break 1Ls! You don't have to do jack except refresh your grade page every thirty seconds. Though it is nice to make a solid push on summer employment so you dont have to bother with that crap during spring semester.


Seriously, this.


Shitlaw firm making ~$1000-$1200 a week or unpaid internship with a judge? Shitlaw firm's only ~30 hours a week, though. 15 minute commute.

Take the money and run. Employers will be more impressed your employer paid you so much and therefore trusted you, rather than working for free. $1k a week is better than most non-biglawl grads will be doing, and I hesitate to call such pay shitlaw.


Well, it's a family job. Hope that does not affect it much.

MinEMorris
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:26 am

Re: How are you going to plan your winter break?

Postby MinEMorris » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:51 pm

a paid 1L summer is legit, and it's definitely not shitlaw if they have the cash to pay you (but I guess in your case it's family so it's possible). Really, it does not matter what you do your 1L summer. If you're able to get something like a district court or court of appeals gig those tend to be looked upon a little more favorably and the "networking" opportunities at those places are better than most, but it's not going to make any real difference in terms of your marketability. Just make sure you do something legal, can tell a couple of interesting stories about your summer, and can at least pretend it advanced your lawyering skills somehow.

Obviously if you have something specific you want to do like be a DA or something, then trying to get a related gig will probably be in your favor. I think most employers know that 1L summer is for exploration and not career advancement, though, so even then employers probably won't care if you do something unrelated.

Edit: in regard to the family gig, people interviewing you will of course not know if you don't tell them, but if it's some lawfirm that shares your last name, then it would potentially look lazy and/or sheltered.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests