whats the difference between contracts I and civ pro I vs II

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
myung76

whats the difference between contracts I and civ pro I vs II

Postby myung76 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:14 pm

hi guys

so 1l first semester we got contracts 1 and civ pro 1

i skimmed through what is taught in the "II" of the course but wasnt so sure exactly what is delved upon

is there a general outline for whats taught in the second version of these classes?

just like how in civ pro I we generally all learn personal jursidiction + SMJ.. is there something thats generally always focused upon?

thanks

bk1

Re: whats the difference between contracts I and civ pro I vs II

Postby bk1 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:14 pm

Depends on the prof.

ClubberLang

Postby ClubberLang » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:30 pm

Flip ahead a couple chapters in your text book and stop asking dumb questions.

Postby 2014 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:10 pm

We didn't even touch jurisdiction in Civ Pro 1, so presumably that will be in Civ Pro 2 for us. If there is any part of a trial that seems to be missing, you will probably cover that in 2.

Haven't taken Contracts 1 yet so no clue.

pifhib2

Postby pifhib2 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:51 pm

K1: Formation
K2: Defenses

Civpro1: Jurisdiction
Civpro2: FRCP

K1 and K2 could have been taught from the same casebook. Civpro1 came from a casebook, Civpro2 we had a copy of the FRCP and edited cases.

ymmv

dudders

Postby dudders » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:03 pm

At my school, Contracts I was formation and defenses, Contracts II was the UCC. Civ Pro I was jurisdiction, discovery and Erie, Civ Pro II was claim and issue preclusion, pleadings/Twiqbal, jnov and directed verdict. I think.

There's no definitive way to split it, and not all schools even cover the same thing.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:33 pm

Depends completely on the school and professor. Here at UChicago contracts is a two quarter class taught in two sections. Last year, one of the sections started with remedies at the beginning of quarter 1 and the other section didn't do remedies until end of quarter 2. Meanwhile, for us civ pro I and civ pro II were each a quarter long, again taught in two different sections for each, and the professors seem to cover the same things in each class consistently, with civ pro 1 being mostly the FRCP and trial procedures, and civ pro 2 being mostly jurisdiction, venue, Erie, and preclusion.

So I'd recommend asking someone at your school.

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:35 pm

At my school when Contracts was turned from a year long 6 (3+3) unit course into a 4 unit course, the professors (or at least mine) apparently just increased the daily readings as much as possible and just discarded some discussions of Rests/UCCs/CISGs/Etc.

Our Civil Procedure I included Due Process, Pleadings, some Joinder/Counter/Crossclaims, Discovery, SJ, PJ, SMJ, Claim and Issue Preclusions, and Class Actions.

Civ Pro II apparently includes venue, more PJ and SJ, more Erie, horizontal conflicts, and more joinder

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”