Do 3L Grades matter if I am already screwed?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
schweitziro

Re: Do 3L Grades matter if I am already screwed?

Postby schweitziro » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:24 pm

AntiHuman wrote:OP here:

This thread has given me hope. Another final tomorrow and it's closed note/multiple choice. So stupid...this has absolute no correlation to how it is in real life. Should be open note/essays. I love certain subjects of law(criminal law/torts/some property)...but I hate how they do exams some times.

1. Just checked and my goal is actually not to fall in the bottom 10 percent(almost there) by the time graduation rolls around. I think I will also focus MOST of my attention on the BAR. I'll probably start studying in January for the July exam. Any tips or suggestions? Should I just read Barbri outlines? What else can I do? I know I am already screwed and can't salvage much from my last semester GPA wise. I will need to put 110 percent effort into the Bar. Second important thing after Bar prep is tapping into my connections and seeing who will give me a shot? Do I start working after the Bar or after I get licensed?

2. I am probably destined for a shitlaw job. However, I actually value time/flexibility over money, so I guess it worked out in the end? Luckily, I will have no debt at all coming out and I can afford to take a $15/hour job right after the Bar. I guess I'm not completely screwed due to the no debt thing. I'll take anything that pays that includes: criminal defense, personal injury, family law, real estate law(really want to flip homes/rent property out in the far future to make income on the side...might be helpful to get into real estate law?), TWE...Can I pick 2-3 of these or only focus on one practice area?

3. Just curious, what are standard shitlaw job salaries? I am hoping for 40K+ coming out of law school. I also want a job with a lot of financial upward mobility. Is doc review like 25/hour?

You're a winner just because you have 0 debt. If you want to practice law, I would suggest going to shitlaw offices personally in the area you want to practice and hand them your resume. Salaries can range from 25-55k. You'll be lucky with a 35k in most markets though.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:17 am

This thread has given me hope. Another final tomorrow and it's closed note/multiple choice. So stupid...this has absolute no correlation to how it is in real life. Should be open note/essays. I love certain subjects of law(criminal law/torts/some property)...but I hate how they do exams some times.

1. Just checked and my goal is actually not to fall in the bottom 10 percent(almost there) by the time graduation rolls around. I think I will also focus MOST of my attention on the BAR. I'll probably start studying in January for the July exam. Any tips or suggestions? Should I just read Barbri outlines? What else can I do? I know I am already screwed and can't salvage much from my last semester GPA wise. I will need to put 110 percent effort into the Bar. Second important thing after Bar prep is tapping into my connections and seeing who will give me a shot? Do I start working after the Bar or after I get licensed?

2. I am probably destined for a shitlaw job. However, I actually value time/flexibility over money, so I guess it worked out in the end? Luckily, I will have no debt at all coming out and I can afford to take a $15/hour job right after the Bar. I guess I'm not completely screwed due to the no debt thing. I'll take anything that pays that includes: criminal defense, personal injury, family law, real estate law(really want to flip homes/rent property out in the far future to make income on the side...might be helpful to get into real estate law?), TWE...Can I pick 2-3 of these or only focus on one practice area?

3. Just curious, what are standard shitlaw job salaries? I am hoping for 40K+ coming out of law school. I also want a job with a lot of financial upward mobility. Is doc review like 25/hour?

Like I said with shitlaw, there are lawyers who make 8 figures a year. There is also no bottom. You can make 0 dollars or even go bust. Shitlaw is what you make of it.

getemgoon

Postby getemgoon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:13 pm

Your first paragraph - you are just wrong. Maybe in a few years, you'll see the value of networking.

Your second paragraph - Work on you social skills. It will benefit your personal and professional life. Seriously. It comes easier to some, just like anything else whether it be being athletic, etc. Don't be discouraged, but try try try. You got to make the effort or you'll miss out great opportunities in life. Best of luck.

rad lulz wrote:
MinEMorris wrote:I realize most people won't identify with this and I don't think it's a way that people should feel, but I personally never wanted to "network" or "hustle" even if it meant better jobs or opportunities because I feel it almost inevitably leads to situations that really aren't worth it for me. Primarily, it puts you in a position of being beholden to other people. Say you're a top 30%er at a T2 that networks his way into a V10. At your new job, you're going to feel more like you can't screw up because people essentially "pulled strings" for you. If you hate your job and want to quit, it would also be a much more difficult position since, again, someone pulled strings for you to get that job. Also what if the guy/gal that hooked you up calls you and wants you to play golf with him on the weekends-- you pretty much can't say no. Basically these things end up winding up in such a way that your freedom is significantly curtailed if you feel any moral obligation for having been helped out. While it may mean I'll never be wildly successful and my tenure at a firm will always be more precarious, I like feeling like I owe my position to nobody but myself, and that things like poor work performance, quitting, etc. will only reflect poorly on me and nobody else.

Also, maybe that ridiculous Kant class I took in undergrad poisoned my mind, but something also just feels really bizarre and dirty about socializing with people and developing relationships almost exclusively as a means to an end. Maybe I'm just really weird, but I guess I take personal interaction pretty seriously, and I have a really hard time going to events, talking with people, etc. with the express purpose of trying to use my good impression to leverage their power to get my life in a better spot.

I realize that most people are just after the best job they can get, by whatever means necessary. If that's the case, I certainly agree that networking and aggressive hustling cannot be ignored. There's a great thread in legal employment about a T30 top 30% guy who hustled his way into V10 and V20 offers.

This is sublime idiocy.

getemgoon

Postby getemgoon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:13 pm

Preach.

typ3 wrote:

Like I said with shitlaw, there are lawyers who make 8 figures a year. There is also no bottom. You can make 0 dollars or even go bust. Shitlaw is what you make of it.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”