I Happened Across $15,000

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Re: I Happened Across $15,000

Postby 20130312 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:18 pm

DO NOT ENGAGE.

Postby 071816 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:19 pm

BearsGrl wrote:Not all do, else why are there so many threads about this on TLS? Simple as that.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:19 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
IAFG wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
Not all do, else why are there so many threads about this on TLS? Simple as that.

One, you assume that students get SAs or are young associates, both which aren't givens. Pre-Law work experience is never lost on folks. At least, not when I've been in front of folks at top law firms. It makes you intriguing to an employer. And I'm talking about GOOD work experience, not retail. Sorry, but if you worked at a solid job, that would be an asset because you would have met so many people along the way. Obviously, not all jobs are equal. That's a given.

JFC. Re-read your own fucking exchange. We were talking about people who DO get $160k jobs. Now you're moving the goal post because you were wrong. The point isn't that WE helps you get biglaw, the point is, once you have it, the playing field is pretty much equal as a K-JD.

Once someone cusses, I just tune them out.

And my exchange already acknowledged that obviously some people get good gigs. I just said that there are far too many threads on how to network to support the idea that tons of people are networking geniuses.

Get back to OP's question or leave the thread.

(derails thread through own idiocy)
(calls for return to the original subject matter of the thread)

sopranorleone

Postby sopranorleone » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:19 pm

I still say coke and hookers

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:20 pm

dingbat wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Sorry, but if you worked at a solid job, that would be an asset because you would have met so many people along the way. Obviously, not all jobs are equal. That's a given.

that really depends. There are some shit jobs where you meet lots of people and there are some fantastic jobs where you barely meet anyone

Examples? Meeting people is not the only indicator of a good job. Hence, why I said retail. You meet tons of people in retail. Doesn't necessarily make it a good job. And by no means, am I trying to say that retail is a bad job. It's a means to an end but I'm just applying this standard to law school overall.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:21 pm

BearsGrl wrote:Once someone cusses, I just tune them out.

(complains about young people in law school)

It is clear that BearsGrl is a BOOMER. Good thing dingbat is already here.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:22 pm

IAFG wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
IAFG wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
Not all do, else why are there so many threads about this on TLS? Simple as that.

One, you assume that students get SAs or are young associates, both which aren't givens. Pre-Law work experience is never lost on folks. At least, not when I've been in front of folks at top law firms. It makes you intriguing to an employer. And I'm talking about GOOD work experience, not retail. Sorry, but if you worked at a solid job, that would be an asset because you would have met so many people along the way. Obviously, not all jobs are equal. That's a given.

JFC. Re-read your own fucking exchange. We were talking about people who DO get $160k jobs. Now you're moving the goal post because you were wrong. The point isn't that WE helps you get biglaw, the point is, once you have it, the playing field is pretty much equal as a K-JD.

Once someone cusses, I just tune them out.

And my exchange already acknowledged that obviously some people get good gigs. I just said that there are far too many threads on how to network to support the idea that tons of people are networking geniuses.

Get back to OP's question or leave the thread.

(derails thread through own idiocy)
(calls for return to the original subject matter of the thread)

The thread became derailed. I offered my own advice and others/myself derailed the thread. Thus, I'm trying to get it back to OP's concern. Alright then. Good to be on the same page now.

So unless you cover OP's concern, as said above, don't engage.
Last edited by BearsGrl on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:23 pm

LeDique wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Once someone cusses, I just tune them out.

(complains about young people in law school)

It is clear that BearsGrl is a BOOMER. Good thing dingbat is already here.

Nope. :D

Postby 071816 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:24 pm

BearsGrl wrote:Meeting people is not the only indicator of a good job.

(is mentally defective)

Postby 20130312 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:27 pm

chimp wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Meeting people is not the only indicator of a good job.

(is mentally defective)

Nailed it.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:27 pm

BearsGrl wrote:So unless you cover OP's concern, as said above, don't engage.

Just for fun, I've gotta throw it out there: you do realize that IGF meant don't engage, with YOU?

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:29 pm

Yes, obvi I knew the individual was talking about me.

I say reasonable things. TLS posters go crazy. Rinse and repeat.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:29 pm

:lol:

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:30 pm

Also, not being able to function once swear words start getting thrown around could be a pretty big liability at a firm.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:35 pm

IAFG wrote:Also, not being able to function once swear words start getting thrown around could be a pretty big liability at a firm.

I haven't been around people that cuss at top-ranked firms. That would not fly at the one firm I worked. Heck, IT got on our group about sending emails back and forth talking about plans for the weekend.

Maybe they do that in larger metros. I've only met a few lateral firm attorneys in other markets (met with one in LA for a masters project I was doing) and she was pretty straight-laced. I cannot picture her cussing and she's brokered multi-million deals.

But whatevs works in your market. Go for it.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:37 pm

BearsGrl wrote:IT got on our group about sending emails back and forth talking about plans for the weekend.

wat

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:39 pm

IAFG wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:IT got on our group about sending emails back and forth talking about plans for the weekend.

wat

I don't know why you singled out this sentence. The entire post is "wat" worthy.

Postby 20130312 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:40 pm

IAFG wrote:

wat

FUCK that.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:41 pm

LeDique wrote:
IAFG wrote:

wat

I don't know why you singled out this sentence. The entire post is "wat" worthy.

Because that's just mind-blowing. Which firm is micro-managing like that?! Do you have to raise your hand and be dismissed to use the restroom too?

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:46 pm

IAFG wrote:

wat

The IT department tracks every email sent. Thus, we were reprimanded when my group (I won't out the firm but it was an internal legal program geared towards younger kids, 18-22ish, who wanted to maybe be lawyers or just knew someone on the inside) had a back-and-forth exchange about weekend plans with one another.

It's why I would always send personal emails/msgs with my personal cell phone instead of using anything work-related. This is a duh moment, but this was my first big kid job at 19. I had other job experience obviously but not anything that corporate. And mind you, I'm mid-to-upper 20s now so this was awhile back.

AOL was still cool back in my day.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:50 pm

IAFG wrote:
LeDique wrote:
IAFG wrote:

wat

Because that's just mind-blowing. Which firm is micro-managing like that?! Do you have to raise your hand and be dismissed to use the restroom too?

Well, non-law firm staff was not allowed into the building (like I said I won't say structure type of the building as this could out it more) unless brought through one particular floor. Thus, husbands/wives/significant others aren't allowed in, unless buzzed through reception of some sort (it's fancier than that, but I'm going to call it that as there were multiple receptionists) and even then it was extremely rare to see non-lawyers.

One female brought her bf into the bathroom for some hanky panky. She was gone by either that afternoon or that next day. This firm has multiple specialties and everyone knew about the firing in a matter of hours.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:51 pm

nygrrrl wrote::lol:

Postby 071816 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:53 pm

BearsGrl wrote:Well, non-law firm staff was not allowed into the building (like I said I won't say structure type of the building as this could out it more) unless brought through one particular floor. Thus, husbands/wives/significant others aren't allowed in, unless buzzed through reception of some sort (it's fancier than that, but I'm going to call it that as there were multiple receptionists) and even then it was extremely rare to see non-lawyers.

One female brought her bf into the bathroom for some hanky panky. She was gone by either that afternoon or that next day. This firm has multiple specialties and everyone knew about the firing in a matter of hours.

--ImageRemoved--

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:54 pm

IAFG wrote:
LeDique wrote:
IAFG wrote:

wat

They could have loosened their policies since then, but I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't. I mean, if you had 18-20 year-olds, I'd demand the same type of respect. It wasn't some program that had some online application that you filled out. You just "knew" someone within the firm and were lucky enough to know about it. Internal recruiting and so on.

One attorney represented a company that my Mom worked for thus the attorney knew (from normal chit-chat) that I had an interest in law and thus, I was told about the opportunity. This is how networking normally works. You know someone (this example, my Mom) who knows someone (the attorney) who can get you an in. Sometimes, it takes more layers than that, but it all works.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:00 pm

To summarize: you just offered a policy for some college kid internship as a reason why partners do not cuss and as evidence of typical firm policy?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”