I Happened Across $15,000

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BearsGrl

Re: I Happened Across $15,000

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:37 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
dingbat wrote:I'm fairly certain you can claim the credit even if you're borrowing loans in order to pay for tuition

Correct.

BearsGrl wrote:Kids under 26 don't need to be going to law school anyways. They end up spazzy on TLS talking about "how do I act on an interview" like some advice is going to magically make it all better.

I'm just glad that my parents have real estate that could be sold to pay off debt. My parents were always planners and made me start a Roth IRA young. Glad they made me do it.

The most obnoxious poster, ladies and gentlemen. If there wasn't a bright line "no telling people to kill themselves" rule on TLS, I'd tell you to kill yourself.

What was obnoxious about what I said? I seriously mean that.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:38 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Kids under 26 don't need to be going to law school anyways. They end up spazzy on TLS talking about "how do I act on an interview" like some advice is going to magically make it all better.

Or they end up making 160K at a fairly young age.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:41 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
Kids under 26 don't need to be going to law school anyways. They end up spazzy on TLS talking about "how do I act on an interview" like some advice is going to magically make it all better.

For a few years....but then they ask about how to network, which they would have learned about if they had actual work experience or volunteered (also a plus to employers). Look at how many threads there are that talk about how/when to write a thank you note. It's insane.

Postby 20130312 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:41 pm

BearsGrl wrote:For a few years....but then they ask about how to network, which they would have learned about if they had actual work experience or volunteered (also a plus to employers). Look at how many threads there are that talk about how/when to write a thank you note. It's insane.

The. Worst.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:46 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:For a few years....but then they ask about how to network, which they would have learned about if they had actual work experience or volunteered (also a plus to employers). Look at how many threads there are that talk about how/when to write a thank you note. It's insane.

The. Worst.

For some reason I've never come across bearsgrl, but can anyone familiar with her posts tell me if they are generally along the line of what's quoted above?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:50 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

For a few years....but then they ask about how to network, which they would have learned about if they had actual work experience or volunteered (also a plus to employers). Look at how many threads there are that talk about how/when to write a thank you note. It's insane.

I've met many successful older lawyers who started law school while younger than 26.

Also, to the OP, unless you want to do something like what thesealocust recommended, I'd pull out a calculator and actually figure out what each of the options you listed look like. People can give you general advice, but since you actually know the specific interest rates and terms and costs of the types of loans you're taking out, you're really the one uniquely in the position to do the math.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:51 pm

Br3v wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

The. Worst.

For some reason I've never come across bearsgrl, but can anyone familiar with her posts tell me if they are generally along the line of what's quoted above?

I'm notorious because I said that I could see UC-I being a powerhouse school for CA down the pike. For saying that Irvine had tall buildings (and thus my implication that this meant HQs were located there), I was reamed. :D

Postby 071816 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:52 pm

Br3v wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

The. Worst.

Yes. She's batshit crazy.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:53 pm

It's actually an interesting point. Young associates are young associates are young associates, but coming up for partnership when you're 32 or 33 has to be a bit of a tough sale, no matter what you otherwise bring to the table.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:55 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

I've met many successful older lawyers who started law school while younger than 26.

Also, to the OP, unless you want to do something like what thesealocust recommended, I'd pull out a calculator and actually figure out what each of the options you listed look like. People can give you general advice, but since you actually know the specific interest rates and terms and costs of the types of loans you're taking out, you're really the one uniquely in the position to do the math.

Of course you have. That's a given. But all of this "networking" advice that exists out there is just too much. If you don't know how to network, well then don't be bummed if you're not getting more job offers, etc.. Obviously, it's not the only reason you're not being offered, but as a business major, you learn to always be networking - Christmas parties, Church, wherever.

Postby 20130312 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:57 pm

BearsGrl wrote:I'm notorious because I said that I could see UC-I being a powerhouse school for CA down the pike. For saying that Irvine had tall buildings (and thus my implication that this meant HQs were located there), I was reamed. :D

BearsGrl wrote:UCI will have a solid reputation and is in a solid business market with lots of tall buildings aka access to opportunities.

Derp.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:02 pm

thesealocust wrote:It's actually an interesting point. Young associates are young associates are young associates, but coming up for partnership when you're 32 or 33 has to be a bit of a tough sale, no matter what you otherwise bring to the table.

Talking to a local major firm younger associate (not sure of the individual's age but say he was 30ish), it seemed that maturity and making the "sell" were key factors to the firm culture (which in my eyes is a major duh) and that's where I'm coming from. How will you, with no experience, know how to "sell" something to someone? Unless you have a specialization that you can sell to that firm, what assets do you bring to a firm? Big Law is all about mutual benefits and consideration. Why should they invest in you and how can you show them you're worth the investment? And then, do you want to give up your life for those years to make that investment. Not everyone wants 7-8 PM work or longer.

As for the OP's $$ windfall, I say the same as the poster above. Only OP knows where he can best apply the funds. I like the idea of getting yourself a small something and then either investing it or paying it down, but a balance sheet should be created either way.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:02 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:I'm notorious because I said that I could see UC-I being a powerhouse school for CA down the pike. For saying that Irvine had tall buildings (and thus my implication that this meant HQs were located there), I was reamed. :D

BearsGrl wrote:UCI will have a solid reputation and is in a solid business market with lots of tall buildings aka access to opportunities.

Derp.

Yep, and I stand by that assessment. Even if it wasn't eloquently said.

I didn't know that Corporate Offices didn't hire. You sure got me.

Postby 071816 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:08 pm

rad lulz wrote:I wonder if BearsGrl is hot IRL.

I'm still wondering about this.

gaud

Postby gaud » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:11 pm

chimp wrote:

Always wondered this

Postby 20130312 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:11 pm

chimp wrote:

I'm thinking

Postby 071816 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:14 pm

If this graph is any indication, she's probably smokin.

gaud

Postby gaud » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:15 pm

:lol:

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:26 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
chimp wrote:

I'm thinking

I've got a friend who pretty much looks like that and she's in law school, at another school, on a full ride scholarship. And she's employed. And she's got a bf that she met at school. So there's that.

She booked her Crim class.

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:54 pm

I think coke & hoes would be a waste. That's for when you've got more disposable income in the future. Unless you really value one night benders, you'll probably derive more utility with another option.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:03 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

I am probably TLS's biggest WE troll, but if you think a K-JD doesn't figure out how to conduct themselves while in law school/being an SA/being a young associate, you're one arrogant SOB. And when they don't, prelaw WE would have been lost on them anyway. By the time they're "a few years" out of law school, their relative disadvantage has evaporated.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:10 pm

IAFG wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

I am probably TLS's biggest WE troll, but if you think a K-JD doesn't figure out how to conduct themselves while in law school/being an SA/being a young associate, you're one arrogant SOB. And when they don't, prelaw WE would have been lost on them anyway. By the time they're "a few years" out of law school, their relative disadvantage has evaporated.

Not all do, else why are there so many threads about this on TLS? Simple as that.

One, you assume that students get SAs or are young associates, both which aren't givens. Pre-Law work experience is never lost on folks. At least, not when I've been in front of folks at top law firms. It makes you intriguing to an employer. And I'm talking about GOOD work experience, not retail. Sorry, but if you worked at a solid job, that would be an asset because you would have met so many people along the way. Obviously, not all jobs are equal. That's a given.

At least I learned what K-JD meant. Always thought it was someone pursuing the dual-degree track. Oh TLS.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:13 pm

BearsGrl wrote:Sorry, but if you worked at a solid job, that would be an asset because you would have met so many people along the way. Obviously, not all jobs are equal. That's a given.

that really depends. There are some shit jobs where you meet lots of people and there are some fantastic jobs where you barely meet anyone

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:14 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Not all do, else why are there so many threads about this on TLS? Simple as that.

One, you assume that students get SAs or are young associates, both which aren't givens. Pre-Law work experience is never lost on folks. At least, not when I've been in front of folks at top law firms. It makes you intriguing to an employer. And I'm talking about GOOD work experience, not retail. Sorry, but if you worked at a solid job, that would be an asset because you would have met so many people along the way. Obviously, not all jobs are equal. That's a given.

JFC. Re-read your own fucking exchange. We were talking about people who DO get $160k jobs. Now you're moving the goal post because you were wrong. The point isn't that WE helps you get biglaw, the point is, once you have it, the playing field is pretty much equal as a K-JD.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:18 pm

IAFG wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

JFC. Re-read your own fucking exchange. We were talking about people who DO get $160k jobs. Now you're moving the goal post because you were wrong. The point isn't that WE helps you get biglaw, the point is, once you have it, the playing field is pretty much equal as a K-JD.

Once someone cusses, I just tune them out.

And my exchange already acknowledged that obviously some people get good gigs. I just said that there are far too many threads on how to network to support the idea that tons of people are networking geniuses.

Get back to OP's question or leave the thread.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”