I Happened Across $15,000

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: I Happened Across $15,000

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:01 pm

LeDique wrote:To summarize: you just offered a policy for some college kid internship as a reason why partners do not cuss and as evidence of typical firm policy?


Somehow this is related to K-JDs not doing well out of law school.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: I Happened Across $15,000

Postby thesealocust » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:03 pm

BearsGrl wrote: This is how networking normally works. You know someone (this example, my Mom) who knows someone (the attorney) who can get you an in.


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your argument at this point boils down to:

BearsGrl wrote:YOU NEED WORK EXPERIENCE OR YOU WILL SUCK AT NETWORKING. IF YOU DON'T NETWORK BEFORE YOU BECOME A LAWYER YOU WILL NEVER NETWORK. BY THE WAY, NETWORKING IS WHEN YOUR MOMMY GETS YOU A JOB. ALSO SWEAR WORDS MAKE ME SAD AND I NEED A NAP AND MY BLANKY.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: I Happened Across $15,000

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:04 pm

LeDique wrote:To summarize: you just offered a policy for some college kid internship as a reason why partners do not cuss and as evidence of typical firm policy?


No. Where was that done? Did I mention an internship anywhere in my dialogue? Did I say anything about partners? Did I say anything about there being a policy about cussing at law firms?

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: I Happened Across $15,000

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:08 pm

thesealocust wrote:
BearsGrl wrote: This is how networking normally works. You know someone (this example, my Mom) who knows someone (the attorney) who can get you an in.


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your argument at this point boils down to:

BearsGrl wrote:YOU NEED WORK EXPERIENCE OR YOU WILL SUCK AT NETWORKING. IF YOU DON'T NETWORK BEFORE YOU BECOME A LAWYER YOU WILL NEVER NETWORK. BY THE WAY, NETWORKING IS WHEN YOUR MOMMY GETS YOU A JOB. ALSO SWEAR WORDS MAKE ME SAD AND I NEED A NAP AND MY BLANKY.


I have no problem employing all of these strategies for obtaining any work experience. It was also a firm that performed evaluations after your limited time there (Summer season). I was offered to return. So there's that.

And nowhere did I say that all law students suck at networking, but if you're asking if you should send someone a thank you note or a follow-up email on an internet forum, then I'm gonna think you don't know how this networking thing works.

And due to this initial job, I'm sure this is why I gained access to other stellar opportunities.

My mother was a vehicle in which to be informed about a job. This is a normal process. Especially in smaller communities. :D

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: I Happened Across $15,000

Postby dingbat » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:19 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
dingbat wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Sorry, but if you worked at a solid job, that would be an asset because you would have met so many people along the way. Obviously, not all jobs are equal. That's a given.

that really depends. There are some shit jobs where you meet lots of people and there are some fantastic jobs where you barely meet anyone


Examples? Meeting people is not the only indicator of a good job. Hence, why I said retail. You meet tons of people in retail. Doesn't necessarily make it a good job. And by no means, am I trying to say that retail is a bad job. It's a means to an end but I'm just applying this standard to law school overall.

Anything involving sales, no matter how shitty, gets you to meet lots of people.
Anything involving design can be fairly insulated, no matter how good

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: I Happened Across $15,000

Postby Veyron » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:35 am

So THIS is why we don't let 0Ls on the employment thread. Got it.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: I Happened Across $15,000

Postby BearsGrl » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:46 am

dingbat wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
dingbat wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Sorry, but if you worked at a solid job, that would be an asset because you would have met so many people along the way. Obviously, not all jobs are equal. That's a given.

that really depends. There are some shit jobs where you meet lots of people and there are some fantastic jobs where you barely meet anyone


Examples? Meeting people is not the only indicator of a good job. Hence, why I said retail. You meet tons of people in retail. Doesn't necessarily make it a good job. And by no means, am I trying to say that retail is a bad job. It's a means to an end but I'm just applying this standard to law school overall.

Anything involving sales, no matter how shitty, gets you to meet lots of people.
Anything involving design can be fairly insulated, no matter how good


Sure, but those wouldn't be jobs I'd consider good with a legal track in mind. That doesn't make them bad jobs.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: I Happened Across $15,000

Postby dingbat » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:49 am

BearsGrl wrote:Sure, but those wouldn't be jobs I'd consider good with a legal track in mind. That doesn't make them bad jobs.

Why didn't you say so?
Also, not necessarily true

MapsMapsMaps
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:36 pm

Re: I Happened Across $15,000

Postby MapsMapsMaps » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:22 am

Ok, great. Coke and hookers it is. Thanks everyone.

MapsMapsMaps
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:36 pm

Re: I Happened Across $15,000

Postby MapsMapsMaps » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:46 pm

Ok, so the time has come. I decided to invest a bit of it and to save a bit of it for a cushion. So I will be paying off $10,000.00 of my debt.

Right now my debt looks like this:

20,500 at 6.8% (stafford unsub)
7,000 at 7.9% (plus)

Conventional wisdom would be to pay off the 7000 since it has a higher interest rate. But since my 20,5000 has such a higher principle, does that make the most sense? Is the 1% really that big of a difference? Would it make more sense to put all of into my stafford so that my principle is less and I thus accrue less interest? Or maybe split the difference somehow?

Ultimately if the difference after 3 years is only 100 bucks, I dont really care that much.

Thoughts?

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: I Happened Across $15,000

Postby 20130312 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:48 pm

MapsMapsMaps wrote:Ok, so the time has come. I decided to invest a bit of it and to save a bit of it for a cushion. So I will be paying off $10,000.00 of my debt.

Right now my debt looks like this:

20,500 at 6.8% (stafford unsub)
7,000 at 7.9% (plus)

Conventional wisdom would be to pay off the 7000 since it has a higher interest rate. But since my 20,5000 has such a higher principle, does that make the most sense? Is the 1% really that big of a difference? Would it make more sense to put all of into my stafford so that my principle is less and I thus accrue less interest? Or maybe split the difference somehow?

Ultimately if the difference after 3 years is only 100 bucks, I dont really care that much.

Thoughts?

Conventional wisdom is conventional for a reason. Plus it feels good to completely rid yourself of a loan. Pay down that PLUS.

MapsMapsMaps
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:36 pm

Re: I Happened Across $15,000

Postby MapsMapsMaps » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:22 pm

Your avatar seems applicable here.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: I Happened Across $15,000

Postby Br3v » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:28 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
MapsMapsMaps wrote:Ok, so the time has come. I decided to invest a bit of it and to save a bit of it for a cushion. So I will be paying off $10,000.00 of my debt.

Right now my debt looks like this:

20,500 at 6.8% (stafford unsub)
7,000 at 7.9% (plus)

Conventional wisdom would be to pay off the 7000 since it has a higher interest rate. But since my 20,5000 has such a higher principle, does that make the most sense? Is the 1% really that big of a difference? Would it make more sense to put all of into my stafford so that my principle is less and I thus accrue less interest? Or maybe split the difference somehow?

Ultimately if the difference after 3 years is only 100 bucks, I dont really care that much.

Thoughts?

Conventional wisdom is conventional for a reason. Plus it feels good to completely rid yourself of a loan. Pay down that PLUS.


That debt snowball.

akasabian
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: I Happened Across $15,000

Postby akasabian » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:32 pm

MapsMapsMaps wrote:So I received $15,000 in a will from a great aunt that I barely knew. What should I do with it? I am a 1L at T14. I have to take out $13,750 in loans each semester. Only fall has been dispersed at this point. But it already has ~$400 in interest after just a few months, for for a total of $14,150 ish at this point.

I have one legitimate option options, the way I see it.

1) Blow it on coke and hookers


Thanks for any advice.


You're welcome

But really I'd say paying off 1st semester is the best, reducing that total load will be nice.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: I Happened Across $15,000

Postby thesealocust » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:14 pm

MapsMapsMaps wrote:Ok, so the time has come. I decided to invest a bit of it and to save a bit of it for a cushion. So I will be paying off $10,000.00 of my debt.

Right now my debt looks like this:

20,500 at 6.8% (stafford unsub)
7,000 at 7.9% (plus)

Conventional wisdom would be to pay off the 7000 since it has a higher interest rate. But since my 20,5000 has such a higher principle, does that make the most sense? Is the 1% really that big of a difference? Would it make more sense to put all of into my stafford so that my principle is less and I thus accrue less interest? Or maybe split the difference somehow?

Ultimately if the difference after 3 years is only 100 bucks, I dont really care that much.

Thoughts?


The way compound interest works on loans, the only relevant factor is interest rate, not principal amount. This trips people up a lot, but the financially correct answer is pay down the higher interest rate first.
Last edited by thesealocust on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: I Happened Across $15,000

Postby dingbat » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:27 pm

thesealocust wrote:The way compound interest works on loans, the only relevant factor is interest rate, not principal amount. This trips people up a lot, but the financially correct answer is pay down the higher debt first.

Listen to this person

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
Posts: 11049
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: I Happened Across $15,000

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:32 pm

Why is there not a poll at the top of the page? I want to see 97% of TLS vote for coke and hookers.

MapsMapsMaps
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:36 pm

Re: I Happened Across $15,000

Postby MapsMapsMaps » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:25 pm

Just crushed my grad plus into oblivion and put a few thousand dollar dent into my stafford. I think I have a financial-stability-boner. I feel very fortunate.

Sorry MarkInKC - youre right, that woulda been sweet. But it's too late at this point. Fuck. Fail.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: I Happened Across $15,000

Postby dingbat » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:28 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:Why is there not a poll at the top of the page? I want to see 97% of TLS vote for coke and hookers.

Image




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], derecho123, JRA, Voynich and 13 guests