Anyone else think that Law School is a joke?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LawBrah

Anyone else think that Law School is a joke?

Postby LawBrah » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:41 pm

I love how people think that law school = smart. I took federal tax, downloaded an outline off of outline dept 2 days before the exam, didn't buy the book, and couldn't pick the professor out of a police lineup

Took it, didn't care, just got my grade back, B+.

B+? I deserved to FAIL. I know NOTHING about tax at all. B+? I figured I'd get a gentleman's B- or something. B+?

This is at a t6 btw

Theopliske8711

Re: Anyone else think that Law School is a joke?

Postby Theopliske8711 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:44 pm

My friend is at NYU, and pretty much says the same thing. +40% of students get a B, no matter what, with just a handful getting A's, so the incentive to work hard is next to nill; most of the time he just does nothing until a few weeks before the exam, when students actually begin to do some work. 2L and 3L are absolute jokes, basically there to just squeeze more cash out of you. Half the student body is drunk or high at any given time and info retention is absurdly low... I don't get it. At the very least, classes could be offered to prepare for the Bar, but I guess passing rates are so high already that there is little incentive to do that by the university.

They should just cut law school down to the 2 years at most. The current structure makes no sense, and the grading needs to be altered significantly.

LawBrah

Re: Anyone else think that Law School is a joke?

Postby LawBrah » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:53 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:My friend is at NYU, and pretty much says the same thing. +40% of students get a B, no matter what, with just a handful getting A's, so the incentive to work hard is next to nill; most of the time he just does nothing until a few weeks before the exam, when students actually begin to do some work. 2L and 3L are absolute jokes, basically there to just squeeze more cash out of you. Half the student body is drunk or high at any given time and info retention is absurdly low... I don't get it. At the very least, classes could be offered to prepare for the Bar, but I guess passing rates are so high already that there is little incentive to do that by the university.

They should just cut law school down to the 2 years at most. The current structure makes no sense, and the grading needs to be altered significantly.

COMPLETELY AGREE.

I'd much rather pay for only 2 or 1.5 years of tuition rather than this going-through-the-motions charade where I'm given decent grades for absolutely no knowledge of the material.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”