PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Dubyuhnell

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby Dubyuhnell » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:10 pm

My grades just released

A- in contracts
A- in crim
B+ in civ pro
B- in torts??
and a B in legal writing ??

my curve sits around a b+ normally so im fucked...i have no idea what happend i though i did the best in torts and I actually thought i bombed contracts im just fucking confused

SEngland

Postby SEngland » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:12 pm

LetsGoLAW wrote:No grades yet.

A tribute to LGL.

LET'S FUCKING GO CSWS BROTHERS. AM I GONNA WAIT AROUND FOR MY GRADES? AW, HELL NAH. GOING TO WAKE UP AND RUN TO SCHOOL. GOING TO SIT OUTSIDE MY PROFS OFFICE UNTIL THEY RELEASE THAT SHIT. I WANT IT. I WANT IT. I WANT IT. GOING TO GET MY A+'S AND DRINK. THEN GOING TO START HITTING UP PT'S AND OUTLINING. CSWS BRETHERN. 2L OCI STARTS SOON. DON'T BE LAST. YOU WANT IT? COME GET IT.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:15 pm

He's been around but no grades for him yet.

ETA: Scooped.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:19 pm

Dubyuhnell wrote:My grades just released

A- in contracts
A- in crim
B+ in civ pro
B- in torts??

my curve sits around a b+ normally so im fucked...i have no idea what happend i though i did the best in torts and I actually thought i bombed contracts im just fucking confused

Depends on where around B+ the curve sits. If it's around on the lower end, you're median. If it's right on B+, you're just a hair below, right?

Dubyuhnell

Postby Dubyuhnell » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:20 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:

A- in contracts
A- in crim
B+ in civ pro
B- in torts??

Depends on where around B+ the curve sits. If it's around on the lower end, you're median. If it's right on B+, you're just a hair below, right?

the grade distribution hasnt come out yet but im at a 3.27 which im sure is a hair below median

it just sucks if i would have just hit the curve in torts i would be in WAY better position

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:31 pm

Dubyuhnell wrote: i have no idea what happend i though i did the best in torts and I actually thought i bombed contracts im just fucking confused

This is a very common for 1Ls first experiencing the curve - sometimes you don't even realize how hard an exam is until you understand the complexities of the subject. Keep your head up.

e: also, Torts is just so easy it's often a total crapshoot. Not really a reflection on you, especially considering your other grades.

shumpshump

Postby shumpshump » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:45 pm

5ky wrote:e: also, Torts is just so easy it's often a total crapshoot. Not really a reflection on you, especially considering your other grades.

Thanks for this. Just got my torts grade and was surprised by it because I thought I did well. Makes me feel a little better.

z0rk

Postby z0rk » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:29 pm

manofjustice wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
z0rk wrote:Waiting on one more grade. A student in my class approached the professor on an unrelated subject and the topic of grading came up. The professor admitted that the entire class did not do well and she had to regrade all of the exams on a new curve.

Anyone on TLS have an experience like this? Additionally, if you had problems with your grade did you find recourse for a grade appeal based upon the professors statement? Feeling kind of nervous after hearing that the whole class has to be regraded with a new curve. I guess the exam was written in a way such that the entire class saw different issues on certain essays than what the professor wanted us to focus on.

Seems like a weird thing to say since that seems to indicate that the professor already has a set chart for what points translates into what grades--like she is equating instead of just simply applying a curve to the set of tests she is currently grading. I've heard multiple professors talk about how they typically grade and they usually use point systems to count points and then give grades based on where natural breaks appear in how students scored. (And most of these professor said if they are below the max allowed mean for the class, they go back over the point totals and bump up students who were just below the breaks that they initially established.) So I'm not sure why a professor would have to "regrade" all exams.

This.

Just going to respond and share the lesson I just learned -- don't listen to rumors and gossip, keep your cool, and have confidence. I received an A for this course.

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:35 pm

A- in contracts
A- in crim
B+ in civ pro
B- in torts??

Welcome to law school. Your grades are determined by how well you did compared to everyone else, not how well you understood the material.

nucky thompson

Postby nucky thompson » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:43 pm

z0rk wrote:
manofjustice wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
z0rk wrote:Waiting on one more grade. A student in my class approached the professor on an unrelated subject and the topic of grading came up. The professor admitted that the entire class did not do well and she had to regrade all of the exams on a new curve.

Anyone on TLS have an experience like this? Additionally, if you had problems with your grade did you find recourse for a grade appeal based upon the professors statement? Feeling kind of nervous after hearing that the whole class has to be regraded with a new curve. I guess the exam was written in a way such that the entire class saw different issues on certain essays than what the professor wanted us to focus on.

Seems like a weird thing to say since that seems to indicate that the professor already has a set chart for what points translates into what grades--like she is equating instead of just simply applying a curve to the set of tests she is currently grading. I've heard multiple professors talk about how they typically grade and they usually use point systems to count points and then give grades based on where natural breaks appear in how students scored. (And most of these professor said if they are below the max allowed mean for the class, they go back over the point totals and bump up students who were just below the breaks that they initially established.) So I'm not sure why a professor would have to "regrade" all exams.

This.

Just going to respond and share the lesson I just learned -- don't listen to rumors and gossip, keep your cool, and have confidence. I received an A for this course.

what about that rumor had you rattled? someone tells you prof told them everyone did shitty therefore prof had to regrade??.... if everyone did shitty, the curve will still require A's to be given out. You did not need to share. The lesson that a 1L should not listen to rumors/gossip/post-exam answer comparing is all over this forum/is known to normal law students even if they do not read TLS.

thanks for letting us know that the random/irrelevant rumor you heard had, as expected, no impact on the grade you ultimately received.

Also, another note... why you telling people to have confidence? it too is very deceiving/unhealthy. Dont be confident that you did well, be confident that you did your best and let the fucking chips fall. Grades put a lot of pressure on students. If you prepare well, and dont make any major mistakes on the exam (like misreading/not reading all instructions) then reason/logic says there is nothing to worry about because it does not matter - your grade will be what it will be, and you could not have performed better because you did as best you could under the circumstances. Based off first semester, learn from mistakes and try to again prepare as best you can for spring exams

eaper

Postby eaper » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:48 pm

Well, I've officially been outed by someone in my section that lurks TLS. Glad I didn't poast any more grades. Oh well.

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:51 pm

had an email today saying we were getting grades at 3, i was sweating alll darn day, and success..3.628..urm as well, considering transferring but not sure yet

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:57 pm

:|
Last edited by HellOnHeels on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:58 pm

nucky thompson wrote:what about that rumor had you rattled? someone tells you prof told them everyone did shitty therefore prof had to regrade??.... if everyone did shitty, the curve will still require A's to be given out. You did not need to share. The lesson that a 1L should not listen to rumors/gossip/post-exam answer comparing is all over this forum/is known to normal law students even if they do not read TLS.

thanks for letting us know that the random/irrelevant rumor you heard had, as expected, no impact on the grade you ultimately received.

Also, another note... why you telling people to have confidence? it too is very deceiving/unhealthy. Dont be confident that you did well, be confident that you did your best and let the fucking chips fall. Grades put a lot of pressure on students. If you prepare well, and dont make any major mistakes on the exam (like misreading/not reading all instructions) then reason/logic says there is nothing to worry about because it does not matter - your grade will be what it will be, and you could not have performed better because you did as best you could under the circumstances. Based off first semester, learn from mistakes and try to again prepare as best you can for spring exams

Take it easy man

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:59 pm

KidStuddi wrote:

A- in contracts
A- in crim
B+ in civ pro
B- in torts??

Welcome to law school. Your grades are determined by how well you did compared to everyone else, not how well you understood the material.

Thank you for bringing us this hidden knowledge from on high, prophet.

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:24 pm

Damnit Unam everytime you post and I see it on the side I check this thread hoping we've got movement on grades :/.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:50 pm

hyakku wrote:Damnit Unam everytime you post and I see it on the side I check this thread hoping we've got movement on grades :/.

I do the same with you, although TBF I assume I'll see someone post something on FB first.

atcushman

Postby atcushman » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:00 pm

All my grades are finally in 3.59 gpa which should easily put me in the top 10% if the past few years rankings are any indication

Crim-A
Civ Pro-A
Torts-B+
K-B-

Dubyuhnell

Postby Dubyuhnell » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:10 pm

A- in contracts
A- in crim
B+ in civ pro
B- in torts??

I'm not jump off the ledge just yet as long as I can pull off similar grades this semester as I did last but take away the b- I'll be fine .. It just sucks cause if I would just the curve in torts I would have been around top 20

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:14 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
KidStuddi wrote:

A- in contracts
A- in crim
B+ in civ pro
B- in torts??

...thus spoke zarathustra

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:23 pm

SEngland wrote:
LetsGoLAW wrote:No grades yet.

A tribute to LGL.

LET'S FUCKING GO CSWS BROTHERS. AM I GONNA WAIT AROUND FOR MY GRADES? AW, HELL NAH. GOING TO WAKE UP AND RUN TO SCHOOL. GOING TO SIT OUTSIDE MY PROFS OFFICE UNTIL THEY RELEASE THAT SHIT. I WANT IT. I WANT IT. I WANT IT. GOING TO GET MY A+'S AND DRINK. THEN GOING TO START HITTING UP PT'S AND OUTLINING. CSWS BRETHERN. 2L OCI STARTS SOON. DON'T BE LAST. YOU WANT IT? COME GET IT.

I love this.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:31 pm

Asking your professors to see your exams and your grades after grades are due but before they are released is not okay, right?

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:31 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
KidStuddi wrote:

A- in contracts
A- in crim
B+ in civ pro
B- in torts??

Is this supposed to be witty? I hope your exam sense is sharper than your sense of humor, for your sake.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:49 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:Asking your professors to see your exams and your grades after grades are due but before they are released is not okay, right?

Right. (Usually, professors submit grades, and then there's a process of making sure the curve/distribution requirements are met, and that can take some time, so during the delay between when grades are due and when they're released, grades may not yet be formally calculated.)

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:12 pm

KidStuddi wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:
KidStuddi wrote:

A- in contracts
A- in crim
B+ in civ pro
B- in torts??

Is this supposed to be witty? I hope your exam sense is sharper than your sense of humor, for your sake.

I suspect you don't actually care about my exam sense or me at all, actually. Do continue to regale us with your pearls of wisdom. I'm sure your helpful posts will continue to be popular in a thread designed for supporting stressed out 1Ls.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”