PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby BearsGrl » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:21 pm

dingbat wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Best issue spotting story ever:

Our civ pro exam had an issue about [name of issue omitted to prevent 1L panic]. That's just what the question was -- all of it -- about one particular thing. The prof was talking to somebody afterward and said only half the class even figured out what it was about :lol:

Our property prof has already told us what the exam questions will be about


No. No, she/he has not.

ltp93
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby ltp93 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:28 pm

What has the format been for exams for everyone?

Mine have been mainly open-book, open-note.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby dingbat » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:30 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
dingbat wrote:Our property prof has already told us what the exam questions will be about


No. No, she/he has not.

Yes he has. He's been very upfront about how it's a horserace exam, and what the topics of the essay are going to be.
He's also known for giving the most brutal exams. For example, there're gonna be 50 multiple choice questions. He's flat-out said he doesn't expect anyone to get more than about 30 right

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby BearsGrl » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:31 pm

I have had no open-book or open-note exams, however 3/4 classes are two semesters in length.

My Ks was all essay.
Torts and Property was a mix of MC and essay.
Crim will be the same.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby BearsGrl » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:32 pm

dingbat wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
dingbat wrote:Our property prof has already told us what the exam questions will be about


No. No, she/he has not.

Yes he has. He's been very upfront about how it's a horserace exam, and what the topics of the essay are going to be.
He's also known for giving the most brutal exams. For example, there're gonna be 50 multiple choice questions. He's flat-out said he doesn't expect anyone to get more than about 30 right


Well, if it's a race-horse exam, then it's not really issue specific. It's more quantity than quality.

Yeah, my Ks class had 3 midterms. Ugh.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby laxbrah420 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:57 pm

1 grade in, did well --now no interest in hearing the other ones. :lol:

swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby swimmer11 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:00 am

laxbrah420 wrote:1 grade in, did well --now no interest in hearing the other ones. :lol:


When did you finish you exams? I can't believe people are already getting their grades back.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby gaud » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:01 am

swimmer11 wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:1 grade in, did well --now no interest in hearing the other ones. :lol:


When did you finish you exams? I can't believe people are already getting their grades back.


It was his writing grade

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby laxbrah420 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:02 am

Finished on Weds, but yea it's my writing grade.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:19 am

Our writing grades won't post til finals are completely over.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby gaud » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:20 am

BearsGrl wrote:Our writing grades won't post til finals are completely over.


Same. Sucks.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:25 am

gaud wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Our writing grades won't post til finals are completely over.


Same. Sucks.


Eh... that's gonna be one of my lower grades so I'm cool with waiting. I don't get grades for like 3 weeks anyways so I'm just going to enjoy the break and re-strategize for next semester.

My legal writing class had a midterm. Seriously. Ugh.

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby SportsFan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:54 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
SportsFan wrote:Hah very true. Definitely agree. Though is it really 30% that get B-'s at your school? Its only 20% at mine, AFAIK.


Eh, I dont know. I guess its 30% or so get B/B- (below curve)

and yeah, my finals dont end till thursday either

From what I've read on here, the grade breakdown at my school is 10% A, 15% A-, 27.5% B+, 27.5% B, 20% B-, discretionary C's (from what I've heard there are a few professors - none of which I have - who will ALWAYS give 2 or 3 a semester, but most don't bother), with median like 3.25-3.30. Honestly, I think/know it'll take a ton of luck for me to pull any A's and I've accepted that, but I really dread getting any B-'s...

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby emkay625 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:57 am

I know I fucked it up. Didn't finish last contracts essay, didn't finish first crim essay. (Did them in reverse order......this was a STUPID decision because I didn't get to the most important part of the question weighted the most).

Fuck it all. Maybe I'll drop out and open my own floral design studio.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby gaud » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:59 am

emkay625 wrote:Maybe I'll drop out and open my own floral design studio.


hire me?

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby emkay625 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:01 am

gaud wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Maybe I'll drop out and open my own floral design studio.


hire me?


Done.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:26 am

gaud wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Maybe I'll drop out and open my own floral design studio.


hire me?


Do they even have flowers in AZ?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:17 am

emkay625 wrote:I know I fucked it up. Didn't finish last contracts essay, didn't finish first crim essay. (Did them in reverse order......this was a STUPID decision because I didn't get to the most important part of the question weighted the most).

Fuck it all. Maybe I'll drop out and open my own floral design studio.

you go to a good school with insanely cheap tuition. You'll be fine. Plus your in the higher range from an applicant perspective, so if you think you bombed, I'm sure many are in a similar position (I know, 0L metrics aren't indicative of performance, blah blah blah)

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby gaud » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:32 am

BearsGrl wrote:
gaud wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Maybe I'll drop out and open my own floral design studio.


hire me?


Do they even have flowers in AZ?


on cacti

User avatar
History_Buff
Posts: 8527
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:45 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby History_Buff » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:16 pm

gaud wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Our writing grades won't post til finals are completely over.


Same. Sucks.


As far as I know.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby emkay625 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:28 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
emkay625 wrote:I know I fucked it up. Didn't finish last contracts essay, didn't finish first crim essay. (Did them in reverse order......this was a STUPID decision because I didn't get to the most important part of the question weighted the most).

Fuck it all. Maybe I'll drop out and open my own floral design studio.

you go to a good school with insanely cheap tuition. You'll be fine. Plus your in the higher range from an applicant perspective, so if you think you bombed, I'm sure many are in a similar position (I know, 0L metrics aren't indicative of performance, blah blah blah)


You. I miss you. Why didn't I go to your school again?

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby dingbat » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:50 pm

emkay625 wrote:I know I fucked it up. Didn't finish last contracts essay, didn't finish first crim essay. (Did them in reverse order......this was a STUPID decision because I didn't get to the most important part of the question weighted the most).

Fuck it all. Maybe I'll drop out and open my own floral design studio.

I think finishing your exam is a bigger problem than not finishing - it means you didn't even see some issues.

jazzhou
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:00 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby jazzhou » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:53 pm

So a lot of people have mentioned how it's nearly impossible to predict how you did based on how you feel after the exam. Is this true even if you've gotten feedback from your professors on your responses to their old exams? I don't feel great about most of my classes, but in at least one my professor was fairly upfront about where I stood relative to the rest of the class. I feel like I killed that exam but I'm still unsure about how to feel.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8441
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby thesealocust » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:03 pm

jazzhou wrote:So a lot of people have mentioned how it's nearly impossible to predict how you did based on how you feel after the exam. Is this true even if you've gotten feedback from your professors on your responses to their old exams? I don't feel great about most of my classes, but in at least one my professor was fairly upfront about where I stood relative to the rest of the class. I feel like I killed that exam but I'm still unsure about how to feel.


You can't kill the exam, all you can do is kill everyone else trying to take the same exam as you. How well you answer is irrelevant. Your grade is literally an alphabetical representation of how good your exam is compared to the other exams people took, and nothing else.

Anything your prof said to you prior to you sitting and writing the exam is meaningless, because nothing counted until the moment you put pen to paper or finger to keyboard for the exam.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby dingbat » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:10 pm

thesealocust wrote:You can't kill the exam, all you can do is kill everyone else trying to take the same exam as you.

Not a bad idea




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: splitterfromhell and 7 guests