PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby 20130312 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:30 am

Ah, gotcha.

mmk33

Postby mmk33 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:55 pm

no grades. classes start Monday. my brainstorming on this topic:

Reasons for returning grades earlier than the last possible moment
1. none, really. Only possible argument is that 1L summer positions will be better with earlier grades, leading to better employment #s down the road, but this is unlikely to have a major effect.

Reasons for returning grades as late as possible
1. makes it less likely students in the bottom of the class and up toward median will drop out (by the time they get grades they are already moved back to school and classes are either starting or about to start)*****
2. gives professors as much time as they want to grade
3. gives professors a more fulfilling break (no need to respond to emails "can I meet with you? what happened? can I see my exam? I thought i did well...")
4. by the time grades are returned the reactions of students are likely less extreme (student doesn't remember the exam well, has a less strong sense of how they have done)

shumpshump

Postby shumpshump » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:57 pm

edited out
Last edited by shumpshump on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inthebeginning

Postby inthebeginning » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:03 pm

lol this thread is filled with pricks

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:07 pm

Checking in. It's been a while for me. Already received grades from the summer and I'm hoping fall grades are similar if not better.

Try to relax. I'm sure you all did well. Good luck!

shumpshump

Postby shumpshump » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:12 pm

inthebeginning wrote:lol this thread is filled with pricks

I just did what everyone else did. I edited it out for you though.

Postby 20130312 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:14 pm

shumpshump wrote:

Don't be ashamed, brother. This thread is the only judgment free zone. Talking about grades IRL is douchey and posting about it in other threads is douchey, but this is your place to vent.

mmk33

Postby mmk33 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:17 pm

shumpshump wrote:

congrats, man. this is an anonymous forum. It is dickheadish to tell classmates your grades, but this is a place where grades can be shared (and people posts grades all the way from A+ to F). well done.

indigomachine

Postby indigomachine » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:20 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
shumpshump wrote:

Don't be ashamed, brother. This thread is the only judgment free zone. Talking about grades IRL is douchey and posting about it in other threads is douchey, but this is your place to vent.

+1

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:22 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:WOOOOOOOOOO I GOT AN A IN MY 1 CREDIT LEGAL RESEARCH CLASS!!!!! I COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YOU TLS!!!!!!!!!!

:|

Haha what's the :| for? Just messing around.

shumpshump

Postby shumpshump » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:23 pm

Thanks guys. It is nice to have an outlet where you can enjoy/vent about grades. The only thing I can say to my IRL friends is "grades are up." Haha.

buckythebadger

Postby buckythebadger » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:26 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
shumpshump wrote:

+1

We all cheered each other on during 1st semester. No reason we can't be excited for each other in this thread.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:27 pm

What is prickish about people sharing the good grades they earned in a thread dedicated to receiving grades?

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:35 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:

What is prickish about people sharing the good grades they earned in a thread dedicated to receiving grades?

Ya. Seriously. This is an anonymous forum dedicated to talking about grades. So, there is literally no where that a student who received good grades can say "I got good grades." Like, it's probably prickish to even put your grades on your resume...

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:16 pm

JustE wrote:Checking in. It's been a while for me. Already received grades from the summer and I'm hoping fall grades are similar if not better.

Try to relax. I'm sure you all did well. Good luck!

Sup breh.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:04 pm

No one is as douchey as the girl who took a screenshot of her grades and then INSTAGRAMED IT.

Post away, brehs.

thelong

Postby thelong » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:14 pm

First grade in. Felt a hell of a lot more nervous about checking it than I thought I would.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:24 pm

shumpshump wrote:Thanks guys. It is nice to have an outlet where you can enjoy/vent about grades. The only thing I can say to my IRL friends is "grades are up." Haha.

I have no idea if that means you did well or not -- but Congrats! or sorry :(

Whichever one applies lol

shumpshump

Postby shumpshump » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:27 pm

Bronck wrote:
shumpshump wrote:Thanks guys. It is nice to have an outlet where you can enjoy/vent about grades. The only thing I can say to my IRL friends is "grades are up." Haha.

I have no idea if that means you did well or not -- but Congrats! or sorry :(

Whichever one applies lol

Thanks. I just saw the below. I'm guessing we'll have almost all of our grades by the start of the spring semester if there is a fine and public shaming involved.

Congratulations on finishing your exams. I wanted to write to you about an issue that is important to all of us: the timely submission of grades. I know that not having timely grades can complicate job searches and can impact students in other ways as well. So I wanted to let you know that the faculty and I have been focusing on this issue, and that we voted last Friday to set a hard deadline for grading exams and to impose penalties on faculty who do not meet these deadline. Essentially, starting next academic year, grades will be due on the Friday before Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (the Friday before the start of classes) for the fall semester, and on June 15th for the spring semester (except, of course, for graduating students, whose grades are due before graduation). Those few members of the faculty who have a combined total of more than 150 exams to grade will have an extra week. Faculty who do not comply will be included on a list circulated to the faculty and students, and they will also be fined. I realize that there will still be some situations when, for extenuating circumstances, grades will be late, but my hope is those situations will be rare. We realize that the issue is important to you, and we are committed to addressing it. I want to thank those of you who have raised the issue with me. Your suggestions are important to us.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:29 pm

Was that last years email from Dean Schizer? I feel like a mere fine and public naming won't have that drastic of a motivational effect, but we shall see.

shumpshump

Postby shumpshump » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:31 pm

Bronck wrote:Was that last years email from Dean Schizer? I feel like a mere fine and public naming won't have that drastic of a motivational effect, but we shall see.

Maybe it's just that there's a deadline this year when there wasn't in years past? One of my Professors got his grades back in like late February last year. With a deadline, fine, and public shaming, I feel like there's a good chance he comes in earlier, if not by the deadline.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:35 pm

shumpshump wrote:
Bronck wrote:Was that last years email from Dean Schizer? I feel like a mere fine and public naming won't have that drastic of a motivational effect, but we shall see.

Maybe it's just that there's a deadline this year when there wasn't in years past? One of my Professors got his grades back in like late February last year. With a deadline, fine, and public shaming, I feel like there's a good chance he comes in earlier, if not by the deadline.

At UVA there has been at least one instance where the professor blew the deadline, and apparently had no plans to grade them in the near future. The Dean and a few other professors had to step in and grade them themselves. I don't think it was a 1L class, but still.

Good times.

bigbang

Postby bigbang » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:38 pm

We don't get grades until end of Jan or even early Feb - but I don't mind to be honest. More time to relax haha.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:41 pm

5ky wrote:
shumpshump wrote:

At UVA there has been at least one instance where the professor blew the deadline, and apparently had no plans to grade them in the near future. The Dean and a few other professors had to step in and grade them themselves. I don't think it was a 1L class, but still.

Good times.

The beauty of tenure amirite?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:45 pm

Don't even know the outside date for grades. Awesome.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”