PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
minnbills

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby minnbills » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:01 pm

noleknight16 wrote:A in property.

C in Civil Procedure.

A- in Legal Writing

Still waiting on Torts

Fuck me. Dropping out :(

That sucks but you can still do this. What's the median at your school? I know somebody at mine who pulled a C first semester and ended up making biglaw anyways. You still have next semester. And with those As you know you can do it.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:03 pm

noleknight16 wrote: Fuck me. Dropping out :(

Are you 100% sure that is what you want to do?? :(

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:04 pm

minnbills wrote:

C in Civil Procedure.

A- in Legal Writing

Still waiting on Torts

That sucks but you can still do this. What's the median at your school? I know somebody at mine who pulled a C first semester and ended up making biglaw anyways. You still have next semester. And with those As you know you can do it.

Median is between B- and B. So C's aren't unheard of at my school but damn this feeling sucks.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:06 pm

noleknight16 wrote:
minnbills wrote:

C in Civil Procedure.

A- in Legal Writing

Still waiting on Torts

Median is between B- and B. So C's aren't unheard of at my school but damn this feeling sucks.

Make it the anomaly and you'll be fine. If you get a good torts grade, then it's just an outlier. Life isn't going to be without it travails, just keep going.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:06 pm

Nova wrote:
noleknight16 wrote: Fuck me. Dropping out :(

Are you 100% sure that is what you want to do?? :(

I don't want to but I don't know how hard it will be to get over this C. My school is a borderline T1 so my school doesn't suck but I was in a biglaw or bust mindset. Not sure if it will be worth the debt to continue.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:07 pm

noleknight16 wrote:
minnbills wrote:

C in Civil Procedure.

A- in Legal Writing

Still waiting on Torts

depending on how much credits each class is worth, you could still be top 25%

renardthecrocs

Postby renardthecrocs » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:07 pm

You guys already figure out who you're gonna tell/how you're gonna answer if people who you don't want to tell ask you? I found that was the hardest part of the first week after grades came out. (2 semesters down - basically just finished my 1L year yesterday).

Hah, just saw the onslaught of posts. I guess "other than TLS" I mean.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:08 pm

renardthecrocs wrote:You guys already figure out who you're gonna tell/how you're gonna answer if people who you don't want to tell ask you? I found that was the hardest part of the first week after grades came out. (2 semesters down - basically just finished my 1L year yesterday).

"I did alright" or "could have done better, but not bad"

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:09 pm

dingbat wrote:
renardthecrocs wrote:You guys already figure out who you're gonna tell/how you're gonna answer if people who you don't want to tell ask you? I found that was the hardest part of the first week after grades came out. (2 semesters down - basically just finished my 1L year yesterday).

Or you could say "better than you," "I set the curve" or "I'm the man." You should intimidate your competition.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:10 pm

dingbat wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:
minnbills wrote:

C in Civil Procedure.

A- in Legal Writing

Still waiting on Torts

depending on how much credits each class is worth, you could still be top 25%

True an A in Torts makes it a 3.4, A+ would make it a 3.5. B would make me a 3.0, where I guess I'd seriously consider dropping out. Unfortunately my school doesn't publish percentiles though.

Regardless, it's going to require a massive effort on my part in the second semester to make this C an outlier.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:10 pm

dingbat wrote:

Sounds about right. Gonna keep it cryptic.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:15 pm

stillwater wrote:
dingbat wrote:

Or you could say "better than you," "I set the curve" or "I'm the man." You should intimidate your competition.

DB's responses are solid.

SW's are hillarious :mrgreen:

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:16 pm

Nova wrote:
stillwater wrote:Or you could say "better than you," "I set the curve" or "I'm the man." You should intimidate your competition.

Little do people know that "I set the curve" means the bottom of the curve :lol:

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Bronck wrote:
Nova wrote:
stillwater wrote:Or you could say "better than you," "I set the curve" or "I'm the man." You should intimidate your competition.

Little do people know that "I set the curve" means the bottom of the curve :lol:

:lol: :lol:

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:32 pm

Nova wrote:DB's responses are solid.

Another one for my quote bank

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:44 pm

Nova wrote:
Bronck wrote:
Nova wrote:

:lol: :lol:

That could be real intimidating though. Seeing someone's steely confidence in fact that they blew the bottom off the curve.

jstr00az

Postby jstr00az » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:49 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:Civ Pro - Closed everything, feel good about it though. 3200 words, all of them pretty good. My guess, top 20%.

Prop - Feel great. My worse class, but hit everything hard. 4500 words. I accidentally named a future interest vested remainder subject to open instead of contingent remainder subject to open. But I talked so much about the RAP problem I feel good about it. Also BS a bit on an assignment question for privity of contract. Hoping I got that right. But really, I feel very good about it. Again, top 20%, but based on people literally leaving 30 minutes early in that class, I could see higher.

Torts is tomorrow. I honestly think I can get #1 overall in that class. I got all the material down cold. And I like how his exams are, tons of CoA everywhere. I type fast enough to get 7-8k words overall (I usually read, outline for 20 minutes, then blast away) Plus I just get what he wants and what he is looking for.

My biggest fear is that I feel so good about my tests. I don't want to be let down.

Hahahahahaha this kid cracks me up! Guessing what percent you are in before grades are back? "I knew the material" well unless you are at a TTT, so did most people. No way to actually know how you did at this point. Thanks for the :lol: though

What's even better is that he thinks being in the top 20 percent is a win. In two years he'll be posting - woe is me, I just dropped a quarter million on law school, and am in debt up to my eyeballs, and I'm doing doc review. But at least I can spot a future interest vested remainder, WHATEVER THE FUCK THAT IS.

jstr00az

Postby jstr00az » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:52 pm

noleknight16 wrote:
minnbills wrote:

C in Civil Procedure.

A- in Legal Writing

Still waiting on Torts

How can you get a C in civil procedure? I didn't think that was possible. Legal Writing isn't a real class. That's why they've got adjunct professors teaching it, or third years. So you basically have put yourself in the bottom half of the class.

jstr00az

Postby jstr00az » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:54 pm

noleknight16 wrote:
minnbills wrote:

C in Civil Procedure.

A- in Legal Writing

Still waiting on Torts

Oh, but my brother's friend's sister knew someone who graduated from some school in NY. I think it was Fordham, and she got like a C or something in some class in the first year, and she ended up in BigLaw.

Of course, this was in 2005. But still. There's hope!

renardthecrocs

Postby renardthecrocs » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:56 pm

jstr00az wrote:How can you get a C in civil procedure? I didn't think that was possible. Legal Writing isn't a real class. That's why they've got adjunct professors teaching it, or third years. So you basically have put yourself in the bottom half of the class.

mfw people do not understand how curves work. ALL THE TIME.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:57 pm

I think we need more ad hominem attacks. 3 in a row is insufficient.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:27 pm

jstr00az wrote:Oh, but my brother's friend's sister knew someone who graduated from some school in NY. I think it was Fordham, and she got like a C or something in some class in the first year, and she ended up in BigLaw.

Of course, this was in 2005. But still. There's hope!

Go fuck yourself

Postby 20130312 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:49 pm

Wow, all this snarkiness and most of us don't even have grades yet. Awesome.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:51 pm

jstr00az wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:
minnbills wrote:

C in Civil Procedure.

A- in Legal Writing

Still waiting on Torts

How can you get a C in civil procedure? I didn't think that was possible. Legal Writing isn't a real class. That's why they've got adjunct professors teaching it, or third years. So you basically have put yourself in the bottom half of the class.

A bit rude on the post but ya if I do median or worse on Torts I will be in the bottom half. An A in torts still gets me ~top 25%.

Really my law school future depends on what the Torts grade is.

Postby 005618502 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:35 pm

jstr00az wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:
minnbills wrote:

C in Civil Procedure.

A- in Legal Writing

Still waiting on Torts

First off, the bold is an idiotic comment.

All depends on the curve. Dont listen to this guy, obviously doesn't know what he is talking about. You got 2 FANTASTIC grades already if the curve at your school is that low. So one low grade wont kill you. Keep your head up and see how that tort grade comes out!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”