PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
nucky thompson

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby nucky thompson » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:58 pm

stillwater wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:Finally got my Crim grade in today :shock:. Very happy with first semester, and terrified about this semester. Especially civpro (our professor doesn't teach us anything...like at all.).

Read Freer. You'll thank me later. In retrospect, reading the cases was probably utterly pointless.

Personally, I disagree with this - especially in civil procedure. Reading the cases will help you see where the forks in the law are - and how forks are resolved

i think other classes you can do well with just the supp. For civ pro, with all the rules etc. reading cases and using supps will help burn the material into your brain

Postby 20130312 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:18 pm

Couldn't disagree more with Nucky about reading the cases, but hey, to each his own.

shumpshump

Postby shumpshump » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:57 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Couldn't disagree more with Nucky about reading the cases, but hey, to each his own.

+1, if there's one subject I had to recommend for just completely blowing off class and not reading any cases, it's CivPro.

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:39 pm

Since all y'all bagged As in Civ Pro, gonna grab that Freer book. Probably still read some cases since it doesn't take too long, but this Freer guy seems to be the truth.

Other grades came in too, not as good as Crim but still pretty happy (apparently people know me up here so I shouldn't be too specific? Paranoia is weird in LS lol) . Sitting around top 20-25% so hoping to push it up to the top 15% this semester. Good luck to everyone still waiting for grades, it's ridiculous to have to wait this long.

Edit: Which Freer book is it that you all are referring to btw?

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:11 pm

hyakku wrote:Since all y'all bagged As in Civ Pro, gonna grab that Freer book. Probably still read some cases since it doesn't take too long, but this Freer guy seems to be the truth.

Other grades came in too, not as good as Crim but still pretty happy (apparently people know me up here so I shouldn't be too specific? Paranoia is weird in LS lol) . Sitting around top 20-25% so hoping to push it up to the top 15% this semester. Good luck to everyone still waiting for grades, it's ridiculous to have to wait this long.

Listen to his barbri 1L lecture.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:18 pm

hyakku wrote:Since all y'all bagged As in Civ Pro, gonna grab that Freer book. Probably still read some cases since it doesn't take too long, but this Freer guy seems to be the truth.

NOICE. Grats! Yeah I guess I'm not sure why I'm not disclosing -- I don't really care if people know who I am. Maybe I'm just protecting against if/when I start posting weird shit. I have no idea what my gpa is percentage-wise, though. How did you figure that out?

Postby 20130312 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:32 pm

Recommendations for a Prop supplement?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:34 pm

any recommendations how to approach Con Law?

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:35 pm

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:36 pm

stillwater wrote:any recommendations how to approach Con Law?

Chemerinsky.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:45 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Recommendations for a Prop supplement?

Alcohol

Also, Gilbert and E&E

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:55 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:

Alcohol

Also, Gilbert and E&E

Understanding Property Law - Sprankling
really good

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:59 pm

BuckinghamB wrote:

NOICE. Grats! Yeah I guess I'm not sure why I'm not disclosing -- I don't really care if people know who I am. Maybe I'm just protecting against if/when I start posting weird shit. I have no idea what my gpa is percentage-wise, though. How did you figure that out?

We have our target mean, but I assumed a super high median instead in order to get a type of "worst case scenario". I know our median isn't a 3.3 but I used that and a data point that I know is harsher than what one of ours actually is (I know a 3.7 is roughly top 8- 10% but I instead used ~12%) in order to get my range. In reality, unless they drastically change the curve to be far more lenient with our class it should be a bit better, but I'd rather err on the bad side and be pleasantly surprised rather than hype myself up. You can calculate it pretty easy. If you don't want to, there's this site you can use from another TLS thread:

http://mylsn.info/class_rank.php

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:15 pm

Unagi wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:

Alcohol

Also, Gilbert and E&E

Understanding Property Law - Sprankling
really good

Ya, i was gonna say.

I never read it, but if I could go back in time I would have used that.

soj

Postby soj » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:44 pm

lol, I just read on ATL about the section of Michigan 1Ls whose prof leaked their Civpro grades. wtf

the real exam is your ferpa suit against the prof. GET DAT CLASS ACTION

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:56 pm

soj wrote:lol, I just read on ATL about the section of Michigan 1Ls whose prof leaked their Civpro grades. wtf

I can't imagine how bad Friedman feels. The moment I heard about it on campus (i.e. when it was happening) I wondered how many days it would take for ATL to break the story. Took 2 more days than I thought it would, actually.

soj

Postby soj » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:00 pm

Nah, if he's a tenured professor, I'll bet he won't get so much as a slap on the wrist from the school. Lol legal academia.

Unless a ferpa suit is an actual possibility. Then the administration will probably threaten students into not suing, and failing that, blame the professor.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:04 pm

im more disturbed by his alleged liberal grade bumping. its quite a thing to be playing god in a depressed economy.

soj

Postby soj » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:07 pm

If there's a strict curve, grade bumping is a zero sum game, so it's basically punishing students for not "participating," yes? Yeah, that can be problematic.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:10 pm

its just an absurd practice that tilts toward awarding the most loquacious dumbass

always_raining

Postby always_raining » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:47 pm

soj wrote:Nah, if he's a tenured professor, I'll bet he won't get so much as a slap on the wrist from the school. Lol legal academia.

Unless a ferpa suit is an actual possibility. Then the administration will probably threaten students into not suing, and failing that, blame the professor.

Agreed. Tenured professors dont seem to care what they do. My tenured professors don't even have office hours and have never answered any student emails. These are the same professors that still haven't returned our grades despite the due date passing. I seriously think there should be a fine or something for blowing off grading for so long.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:10 am

UnamSanctam wrote:
soj wrote:lol, I just read on ATL about the section of Michigan 1Ls whose prof leaked their Civpro grades. wtf

I can't imagine how bad Friedman feels. The moment I heard about it on campus (i.e. when it was happening) I wondered how many days it would take for ATL to break the story. Took 2 more days than I thought it would, actually.

Yeah I had a few summer starters in our ethics thing last Friday and they were very upset. Felt really bad for them. Apparently the prof is a super nice guy, too. Just a bad situation.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:01 am

hyakku wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:

We have our target mean, but I assumed a super high median instead in order to get a type of "worst case scenario". I know our median isn't a 3.3 but I used that and a data point that I know is harsher than what one of ours actually is (I know a 3.7 is roughly top 8- 10% but I instead used ~12%) in order to get my range. In reality, unless they drastically change the curve to be far more lenient with our class it should be a bit better, but I'd rather err on the bad side and be pleasantly surprised rather than hype myself up. You can calculate it pretty easy. If you don't want to, there's this site you can use from another TLS thread:

http://mylsn.info/class_rank.php

Also, thanks for this.

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:04 pm

soj wrote:Nah, if he's a tenured professor, I'll bet he won't get so much as a slap on the wrist from the school. Lol legal academia.

no private cause of action under FERPA.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:07 pm

Interesting anecdote: my grades and my words-per-minute count line up almost perfectly.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”