PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
nucky thompson
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby nucky thompson » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:58 pm

stillwater wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:Finally got my Crim grade in today :shock:. Very happy with first semester, and terrified about this semester. Especially civpro (our professor doesn't teach us anything...like at all.).


Read Freer. You'll thank me later. In retrospect, reading the cases was probably utterly pointless.



Personally, I disagree with this - especially in civil procedure. Reading the cases will help you see where the forks in the law are - and how forks are resolved

i think other classes you can do well with just the supp. For civ pro, with all the rules etc. reading cases and using supps will help burn the material into your brain

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby 20130312 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:18 pm

Couldn't disagree more with Nucky about reading the cases, but hey, to each his own.

User avatar
shumpshump
Posts: 1552
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby shumpshump » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:57 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Couldn't disagree more with Nucky about reading the cases, but hey, to each his own.


+1, if there's one subject I had to recommend for just completely blowing off class and not reading any cases, it's CivPro.

User avatar
hyakku
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby hyakku » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:39 pm

Since all y'all bagged As in Civ Pro, gonna grab that Freer book. Probably still read some cases since it doesn't take too long, but this Freer guy seems to be the truth.

Other grades came in too, not as good as Crim but still pretty happy (apparently people know me up here so I shouldn't be too specific? Paranoia is weird in LS lol) . Sitting around top 20-25% so hoping to push it up to the top 15% this semester. Good luck to everyone still waiting for grades, it's ridiculous to have to wait this long.

Edit: Which Freer book is it that you all are referring to btw?

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:11 pm

hyakku wrote:Since all y'all bagged As in Civ Pro, gonna grab that Freer book. Probably still read some cases since it doesn't take too long, but this Freer guy seems to be the truth.

Other grades came in too, not as good as Crim but still pretty happy (apparently people know me up here so I shouldn't be too specific? Paranoia is weird in LS lol) . Sitting around top 20-25% so hoping to push it up to the top 15% this semester. Good luck to everyone still waiting for grades, it's ridiculous to have to wait this long.

Edit: Which Freer book is it that you all are referring to btw?


Listen to his barbri 1L lecture.

User avatar
BuckinghamB
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby BuckinghamB » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:18 pm

hyakku wrote:Since all y'all bagged As in Civ Pro, gonna grab that Freer book. Probably still read some cases since it doesn't take too long, but this Freer guy seems to be the truth.

Other grades came in too, not as good as Crim but still pretty happy (apparently people know me up here so I shouldn't be too specific? Paranoia is weird in LS lol) . Sitting around top 20-25% so hoping to push it up to the top 15% this semester. Good luck to everyone still waiting for grades, it's ridiculous to have to wait this long.

Edit: Which Freer book is it that you all are referring to btw?


NOICE. Grats! Yeah I guess I'm not sure why I'm not disclosing -- I don't really care if people know who I am. Maybe I'm just protecting against if/when I start posting weird shit. I have no idea what my gpa is percentage-wise, though. How did you figure that out?

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby 20130312 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:32 pm

Recommendations for a Prop supplement?

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby stillwater » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:34 pm

any recommendations how to approach Con Law?

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7170
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby UnamSanctam » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:35 pm


User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7170
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby UnamSanctam » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:36 pm

stillwater wrote:any recommendations how to approach Con Law?


Chemerinsky.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:45 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Recommendations for a Prop supplement?


Alcohol


Also, Gilbert and E&E

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:55 am

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby Unagi » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:55 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:Recommendations for a Prop supplement?


Alcohol


Also, Gilbert and E&E


Understanding Property Law - Sprankling
really good

User avatar
hyakku
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby hyakku » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:59 pm

BuckinghamB wrote:
hyakku wrote:Since all y'all bagged As in Civ Pro, gonna grab that Freer book. Probably still read some cases since it doesn't take too long, but this Freer guy seems to be the truth.

Other grades came in too, not as good as Crim but still pretty happy (apparently people know me up here so I shouldn't be too specific? Paranoia is weird in LS lol) . Sitting around top 20-25% so hoping to push it up to the top 15% this semester. Good luck to everyone still waiting for grades, it's ridiculous to have to wait this long.

Edit: Which Freer book is it that you all are referring to btw?


NOICE. Grats! Yeah I guess I'm not sure why I'm not disclosing -- I don't really care if people know who I am. Maybe I'm just protecting against if/when I start posting weird shit. I have no idea what my gpa is percentage-wise, though. How did you figure that out?


We have our target mean, but I assumed a super high median instead in order to get a type of "worst case scenario". I know our median isn't a 3.3 but I used that and a data point that I know is harsher than what one of ours actually is (I know a 3.7 is roughly top 8- 10% but I instead used ~12%) in order to get my range. In reality, unless they drastically change the curve to be far more lenient with our class it should be a bit better, but I'd rather err on the bad side and be pleasantly surprised rather than hype myself up. You can calculate it pretty easy. If you don't want to, there's this site you can use from another TLS thread:


http://mylsn.info/class_rank.php

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:15 pm

Unagi wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:Recommendations for a Prop supplement?


Alcohol


Also, Gilbert and E&E


Understanding Property Law - Sprankling
really good


Ya, i was gonna say.

I never read it, but if I could go back in time I would have used that.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby soj » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:44 pm

lol, I just read on ATL about the section of Michigan 1Ls whose prof leaked their Civpro grades. wtf

the real exam is your ferpa suit against the prof. GET DAT CLASS ACTION

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7170
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby UnamSanctam » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:56 pm

soj wrote:lol, I just read on ATL about the section of Michigan 1Ls whose prof leaked their Civpro grades. wtf

the real exam is your ferpa suit against the prof. GET DAT CLASS ACTION


I can't imagine how bad Friedman feels. The moment I heard about it on campus (i.e. when it was happening) I wondered how many days it would take for ATL to break the story. Took 2 more days than I thought it would, actually.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby soj » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:00 pm

Nah, if he's a tenured professor, I'll bet he won't get so much as a slap on the wrist from the school. Lol legal academia.

Unless a ferpa suit is an actual possibility. Then the administration will probably threaten students into not suing, and failing that, blame the professor.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby stillwater » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:04 pm

im more disturbed by his alleged liberal grade bumping. its quite a thing to be playing god in a depressed economy.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby soj » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:07 pm

If there's a strict curve, grade bumping is a zero sum game, so it's basically punishing students for not "participating," yes? Yeah, that can be problematic.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby stillwater » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:10 pm

its just an absurd practice that tilts toward awarding the most loquacious dumbass

always_raining
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:27 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby always_raining » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:47 pm

soj wrote:Nah, if he's a tenured professor, I'll bet he won't get so much as a slap on the wrist from the school. Lol legal academia.

Unless a ferpa suit is an actual possibility. Then the administration will probably threaten students into not suing, and failing that, blame the professor.



Agreed. Tenured professors dont seem to care what they do. My tenured professors don't even have office hours and have never answered any student emails. These are the same professors that still haven't returned our grades despite the due date passing. I seriously think there should be a fine or something for blowing off grading for so long.

User avatar
BuckinghamB
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby BuckinghamB » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:10 am

UnamSanctam wrote:
soj wrote:lol, I just read on ATL about the section of Michigan 1Ls whose prof leaked their Civpro grades. wtf

the real exam is your ferpa suit against the prof. GET DAT CLASS ACTION


I can't imagine how bad Friedman feels. The moment I heard about it on campus (i.e. when it was happening) I wondered how many days it would take for ATL to break the story. Took 2 more days than I thought it would, actually.


Yeah I had a few summer starters in our ethics thing last Friday and they were very upset. Felt really bad for them. Apparently the prof is a super nice guy, too. Just a bad situation.

User avatar
BuckinghamB
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby BuckinghamB » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:01 am

hyakku wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:
hyakku wrote:Since all y'all bagged As in Civ Pro, gonna grab that Freer book. Probably still read some cases since it doesn't take too long, but this Freer guy seems to be the truth.

Other grades came in too, not as good as Crim but still pretty happy (apparently people know me up here so I shouldn't be too specific? Paranoia is weird in LS lol) . Sitting around top 20-25% so hoping to push it up to the top 15% this semester. Good luck to everyone still waiting for grades, it's ridiculous to have to wait this long.

Edit: Which Freer book is it that you all are referring to btw?


NOICE. Grats! Yeah I guess I'm not sure why I'm not disclosing -- I don't really care if people know who I am. Maybe I'm just protecting against if/when I start posting weird shit. I have no idea what my gpa is percentage-wise, though. How did you figure that out?


We have our target mean, but I assumed a super high median instead in order to get a type of "worst case scenario". I know our median isn't a 3.3 but I used that and a data point that I know is harsher than what one of ours actually is (I know a 3.7 is roughly top 8- 10% but I instead used ~12%) in order to get my range. In reality, unless they drastically change the curve to be far more lenient with our class it should be a bit better, but I'd rather err on the bad side and be pleasantly surprised rather than hype myself up. You can calculate it pretty easy. If you don't want to, there's this site you can use from another TLS thread:


http://mylsn.info/class_rank.php


Also, thanks for this.

User avatar
notedgarfigaro
Posts: 1485
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:33 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby notedgarfigaro » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:04 pm

soj wrote:Nah, if he's a tenured professor, I'll bet he won't get so much as a slap on the wrist from the school. Lol legal academia.

Unless a ferpa suit is an actual possibility. Then the administration will probably threaten students into not suing, and failing that, blame the professor.


no private cause of action under FERPA.

User avatar
manofjustice
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby manofjustice » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:07 pm

Interesting anecdote: my grades and my words-per-minute count line up almost perfectly.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 14 guests